Re: Medium wave reception ??

  • n7mch
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7, 2013
      I have the 897D, an ICOM R72 and a Kenwood TS440. When I listen to MW, I use a 100 ft long wire and switch between radios.

      The TS440 has the best audio and filtering (because it has all the filters installed), the 897D seems to have better sensitivity (DSP of the 897 does not seem to add that much), and the ICOM is the best for strong signals.

      I live in a high ambient noise level area and the noise floor on all three sounds about the same.

      I would guess that the type of antenna and filters you have might make a big difference. The ambient noise level and the noise floor has a huge impact on being able to hear weak MW DX stations.

      Hope that helps

      73 de N7MCH Walt

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "neilbell99" <neil.neilbell@...> wrote:

      > One of my main interests is in MW DXing of graveyard stations. Anyone have comments about the 897D on medium wave??
      >
      > Neil Bell, KJ6FBA

    • Alex Netherton
      Message 2 of 11 , May 8, 2013
        What is a graveyard station?

        KC4BO

        --
        Alex Netherton
        http://blueridgediscovery.com

      • Carl
        Message 3 of 11 , May 12, 2013
          All explained here: http://www.nrcdxas.org/GYDXA/

          Cheers,

          Carl VK3EMF

          --
          Alex Netherton
          http://blueridgediscovery.com

        • dmaley88
          Message 4 of 11 , May 14, 2013
            One of my main interests is in MW DXing of graveyard stations. Anyone have
            > comments about the 897D on medium wave??

            I never tried MW DX'ing on my 897 so I checked.
            OH My, it's a mess. Here's the problem.
            Yaesu cut some corners on 160M. Most upconverting radios will have separate bandpass filters for 160M and the broadcast band. The broadcast band filter will also include a lot of padding to reduce really strong signals. Yaesu combined both on one filter. 160M can get hammered by broadcast signals and the broadcast band is way too strong. I never noticed because I use a T type antenna tuner on 160M. These tuners also act as high pass filters and severely roll off the broadcast band.
            Recommend to anyone that uses this radio in the broadcast band that they place a 30 to 40db pad ahead of the radio to protect the front end. The internal pad isn't big enough.
            Dave...
          • txiceman1
            Message 5 of 11 , May 15, 2013
              You do have to rember that the 897D is not a $5000 plus radio and is rather compact...so somethings are not included and it has some limits.

              Ken
            • Joel
              Message 6 of 11 , May 15, 2013
                If the target market was for SWL's and Grandmothers that want to listen
                to an AM station
                back home at night that plays that special bluegrass music it might be
                featured differently.

                But is it not,so it isn't.

                :-)

                On 5/15/2013 6:45 AM, txiceman1 wrote:

                > You do have to rember that the 897D is not a $5000 plus radio and is
                > rather compact...so somethings are not included and it has some limits.
                >
                > Ken
                >

                > No virus found in this message.

                KQØJ

              • dmaley88
                Message 7 of 11 , May 15, 2013
                  Agree.....

                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "txiceman1" <ke5dfr@...> wrote:

                  > You do have to rember that the 897D is not a $5000 plus radio and is rather compact...so somethings are not included and it has some limits.
                  >
                  > Ken

                • John Silberman
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 15, 2013
                    Graveyard station is a play on the old Graveyard shift. 2AM to 8AM. At
                    this time of night you can SW DX AM stations from around the country and
                    world. I can listen to New Orleans AM stations and Cuban stations from
                    central FL at 3AM. Great fun. John KB4CRT

                    Alex Nethereton wrote:

                    > What is a graveyard station?
                    >
                    > KC4BO
                    >
                    > On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 6:30 PM, neilbell99 <neil.neilbell@...
                    > <mailto:neil.neilbell%40gmail.com>> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > One of my main interests is in MW DXing of graveyard stations.
                    > Anyone have
                    > > comments about the 897D on medium wave??
                    > >
                    > > Neil Bell, KJ6FBA
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Alex Netherton
                    > http://blueridgediscovery.com

                  • w4fjt
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 17, 2013
                      The "graveyard" frequencies on medium wave are specifically 1230,1240,1340,1400,1450, & 1490 kHz. They are called that by MW DXers because there are about 150 local stations assigned to each of these frequencies. The National Radio Club has a PDF that you can download, about 15 pages, "DXing the Graveyard Channels" (easy to find on Google).

                      The term goes back a long way, but it may have originated because these stations are crowded together like the tombstones in a graveyard.

                      Yes, you never know what you'll find here.

                      Jim, W4FJT