Re: Ameritron PNP-8M cable problem

  • Donald Kemp
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2013
      David,

      Thanks for the advice.
      I did call Ameritron and he even brought up the FT-897D manual to compare
      the
      8 pin mini DIN pinout and said they were wrong, but only told me I would
      have to
      change the cable my self.

      Don, NN8B
      "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
      around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

    • Alex Netherton
      Message 2 of 5 , May 4, 2013
        It isn't that hard to perform surgery on a cable. The pins are soldered on
        to the receptacle.
        On May 4, 2013 8:47 AM, "Donald Kemp" <nn8b.oh@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > David,
        >
        > Thanks for the advice.
        > I did call Ameritron and he even brought up the FT-897D manual to compare
        > the
        > 8 pin mini DIN pinout and said they were wrong, but only told me I would
        > have to
        > change the cable my self.
        >
        > --
        > 73,
        > Don, NN8B
        > "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands
        > around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

      • nn8b
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2013
          Here's what I have found out so far.

          The FT-897D and FT-857D Cat/Linear jack does not have ALC available.
          Ameritron thinks the TX INH is ALC but it is not. The FT-817D's
          Cat/Linear jack does have ALC in it and I think they used this information to make the cable. TX INH simply shuts off the transmitter when 5v is applied to that pin.

          For the FT-897/857D's the EXT ALC is on the ACC jack along with TX REQ to put the rig in transmit, used for tuners. So Ameritron has it completely wrong. Yaesu actually makes a cable to put ALC into an amp using the ACC jack but I also need the TX REQ in that jack for a tuner, so I need to make a cable to break out each function, one with GND/EXT ALC and one with GND/TX REQ.

          Bottom line is if you get the ARB-704 box for use to key an amplifier the PNP-8M cable will work for the Ameritron amp to get the TX signal but you still need to make or buy the ALC cable to use in the FT-897D's ACC jack.

          73
          Don, NN8B