Re: [FT897] experiences using an MP 1?

  • Carl Wulfestieg
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2013
      Richard-
      First, "Aloha"??? Are you trying to rub it in? You're in Hawaii?? And I'm stuck in hot, humid Atlanta?
      Oh well . . .
      You probably know this but a tuner is used when the antenna you're using is not tuned to the band you're using. I looked at the MP 1 specs and to me it seems that the MP 1 can be tuned?? If this is true, then you probably don't need the tuner for this setup?? I could be wrong - I may not understand the specs - GOOD LUCK!!
      73 Carl WZ4CW

    • jdeitch2
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2013
        Forget the tuner and tune the antenna per the instructions. I have been using one for 3 years all over the world in almost every climate imaginable. From hotel blaconies to beaches. I have used both the clamp to the railing and the tri-pod base on balconies. Both work no problems.

        Jim
        JG1KGS

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "wh6diq_richard_in_honolulu" <wh6diq@...> wrote:

        > Aloha,
        >
        > I will be receiving a Superstick in about a week, but wondering whether or not I will need to use the LDG AT 897 tuner with it.
        >
        > I will be trying it out using the clamping mount on an aluminum lanai railing, and also using the tripod base in the open on the rooftop.
        >
        > 73
        >
        > Richard
        > wh6diq

      • wh6diq_richard_in_honolulu
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2013
          Thanks to all for responses. I rather assumed I would not need to use the tuner, but have had limited experience with antennas so far. I guess I'll know more soon!

          Richard
          wh6diq

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "jdeitch2" <jdeitch2@...> wrote:

          > Forget the tuner and tune the antenna per the instructions. I have been using one for 3 years all over the world in almost every climate imaginable. From hotel blaconies to beaches. I have used both the clamp to the railing and the tri-pod base on balconies. Both work no problems.
          >
          > Jim
          > JG1KGS
          >
          > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "wh6diq_richard_in_honolulu" <wh6diq@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Aloha,
          > >
          > > I will be receiving a Superstick in about a week, but wondering whether or not I will need to use the LDG AT 897 tuner with it.
          > >
          > > I will be trying it out using the clamping mount on an aluminum lanai railing, and also using the tripod base in the open on the rooftop.
          > >
          > > 73
          > >
          > > Richard
          > > wh6diq

        • Alex Netherton
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2013
            What kind of signal report do you get, and how do you set up ground
            plane/radials? Is the antenna any good for DX?

            --
            Alex Netherton
            http://blueridgediscovery.com