Re: [FT897] experiences using an MP 1?

  • Carl Wulfestieg
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2 11:22 AM
      ok
      73 Carl WZ4CW

    • Carl Wulfestieg
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2 11:33 AM
        Richard-
        First, "Aloha"??? Are you trying to rub it in? You're in Hawaii?? And I'm stuck in hot, humid Atlanta?
        Oh well . . .
        You probably know this but a tuner is used when the antenna you're using is not tuned to the band you're using. I looked at the MP 1 specs and to me it seems that the MP 1 can be tuned?? If this is true, then you probably don't need the tuner for this setup?? I could be wrong - I may not understand the specs - GOOD LUCK!!
        73 Carl WZ4CW

      • jdeitch2
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3 7:09 AM
          Forget the tuner and tune the antenna per the instructions. I have been using one for 3 years all over the world in almost every climate imaginable. From hotel blaconies to beaches. I have used both the clamp to the railing and the tri-pod base on balconies. Both work no problems.

          Jim
          JG1KGS

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "wh6diq_richard_in_honolulu" <wh6diq@...> wrote:

          > Aloha,
          >
          > I will be receiving a Superstick in about a week, but wondering whether or not I will need to use the LDG AT 897 tuner with it.
          >
          > I will be trying it out using the clamping mount on an aluminum lanai railing, and also using the tripod base in the open on the rooftop.
          >
          > 73
          >
          > Richard
          > wh6diq

        • wh6diq_richard_in_honolulu
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3 8:58 AM
            Thanks to all for responses. I rather assumed I would not need to use the tuner, but have had limited experience with antennas so far. I guess I'll know more soon!

            Richard
            wh6diq

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "jdeitch2" <jdeitch2@...> wrote:

            > Forget the tuner and tune the antenna per the instructions. I have been using one for 3 years all over the world in almost every climate imaginable. From hotel blaconies to beaches. I have used both the clamp to the railing and the tri-pod base on balconies. Both work no problems.
            >
            > Jim
            > JG1KGS
            >
            > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "wh6diq_richard_in_honolulu" <wh6diq@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Aloha,
            > >
            > > I will be receiving a Superstick in about a week, but wondering whether or not I will need to use the LDG AT 897 tuner with it.
            > >
            > > I will be trying it out using the clamping mount on an aluminum lanai railing, and also using the tripod base in the open on the rooftop.
            > >
            > > 73
            > >
            > > Richard
            > > wh6diq

          • Alex Netherton
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3 12:50 PM
              What kind of signal report do you get, and how do you set up ground
              plane/radials? Is the antenna any good for DX?

              --
              Alex Netherton
              http://blueridgediscovery.com