Re: [FT897] experiences using an MP 1?

  • Carl Wulfestieg
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2013
      Richard-
      Looks like the MP 1 itself can be tuned?? Maybe I didn't read the spec sheet correctly??
      73 Carl WZ4CW

    • Carl Wulfestieg
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2013
        ok
        73 Carl WZ4CW

      • Carl Wulfestieg
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2013
          Richard-
          First, "Aloha"??? Are you trying to rub it in? You're in Hawaii?? And I'm stuck in hot, humid Atlanta?
          Oh well . . .
          You probably know this but a tuner is used when the antenna you're using is not tuned to the band you're using. I looked at the MP 1 specs and to me it seems that the MP 1 can be tuned?? If this is true, then you probably don't need the tuner for this setup?? I could be wrong - I may not understand the specs - GOOD LUCK!!
          73 Carl WZ4CW

        • jdeitch2
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2013
            Forget the tuner and tune the antenna per the instructions. I have been using one for 3 years all over the world in almost every climate imaginable. From hotel blaconies to beaches. I have used both the clamp to the railing and the tri-pod base on balconies. Both work no problems.

            Jim
            JG1KGS

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "wh6diq_richard_in_honolulu" <wh6diq@...> wrote:

            > Aloha,
            >
            > I will be receiving a Superstick in about a week, but wondering whether or not I will need to use the LDG AT 897 tuner with it.
            >
            > I will be trying it out using the clamping mount on an aluminum lanai railing, and also using the tripod base in the open on the rooftop.
            >
            > 73
            >
            > Richard
            > wh6diq

          • wh6diq_richard_in_honolulu
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3, 2013
              Thanks to all for responses. I rather assumed I would not need to use the tuner, but have had limited experience with antennas so far. I guess I'll know more soon!

              Richard
              wh6diq

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "jdeitch2" <jdeitch2@...> wrote:

              > Forget the tuner and tune the antenna per the instructions. I have been using one for 3 years all over the world in almost every climate imaginable. From hotel blaconies to beaches. I have used both the clamp to the railing and the tri-pod base on balconies. Both work no problems.
              >
              > Jim
              > JG1KGS
              >
              > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "wh6diq_richard_in_honolulu" <wh6diq@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Aloha,
              > >
              > > I will be receiving a Superstick in about a week, but wondering whether or not I will need to use the LDG AT 897 tuner with it.
              > >
              > > I will be trying it out using the clamping mount on an aluminum lanai railing, and also using the tripod base in the open on the rooftop.
              > >
              > > 73
              > >
              > > Richard
              > > wh6diq

            • Alex Netherton
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2013
                What kind of signal report do you get, and how do you set up ground
                plane/radials? Is the antenna any good for DX?

                --
                Alex Netherton
                http://blueridgediscovery.com