RE: [FT897] experiences using an MP 1?

  • John Murphy
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2013
      Richard,

      If you are referring to the MP-1 Super Antenna, I have been using it mobile,
      with the coil for 40-10 and using the LDG tuner on the radio it will tune
      40-10 with no problems.

      73 de KCØJPO/AFA8JP
      John Murphy

      GMRS Licensee WQOW801

      PopComm Monitoring Station KPC0JPO
      "When all else fails...Amateur Radio"

      ARES/RACES/AFMARS Nothwest Area, Region 8

      Owner, Oil Country Radio’s

      701-421-1134

      Business Email: <mailto:ocr58763@...> ocr58763@...

      Personal Email: <mailto:jmurphy7411@...> jmurphy7411@...

      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2013
        Richard-
        Looks like the MP 1 itself can be tuned?? Maybe I didn't read the spec sheet correctly??
        73 Carl WZ4CW

      • Carl Wulfestieg
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2013
          ok
          73 Carl WZ4CW

        • Carl Wulfestieg
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2013
            Richard-
            First, "Aloha"??? Are you trying to rub it in? You're in Hawaii?? And I'm stuck in hot, humid Atlanta?
            Oh well . . .
            You probably know this but a tuner is used when the antenna you're using is not tuned to the band you're using. I looked at the MP 1 specs and to me it seems that the MP 1 can be tuned?? If this is true, then you probably don't need the tuner for this setup?? I could be wrong - I may not understand the specs - GOOD LUCK!!
            73 Carl WZ4CW

          • jdeitch2
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3, 2013
              Forget the tuner and tune the antenna per the instructions. I have been using one for 3 years all over the world in almost every climate imaginable. From hotel blaconies to beaches. I have used both the clamp to the railing and the tri-pod base on balconies. Both work no problems.

              Jim
              JG1KGS

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "wh6diq_richard_in_honolulu" <wh6diq@...> wrote:

              > Aloha,
              >
              > I will be receiving a Superstick in about a week, but wondering whether or not I will need to use the LDG AT 897 tuner with it.
              >
              > I will be trying it out using the clamping mount on an aluminum lanai railing, and also using the tripod base in the open on the rooftop.
              >
              > 73
              >
              > Richard
              > wh6diq

            • wh6diq_richard_in_honolulu
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2013
                Thanks to all for responses. I rather assumed I would not need to use the tuner, but have had limited experience with antennas so far. I guess I'll know more soon!

                Richard
                wh6diq

                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "jdeitch2" <jdeitch2@...> wrote:

                > Forget the tuner and tune the antenna per the instructions. I have been using one for 3 years all over the world in almost every climate imaginable. From hotel blaconies to beaches. I have used both the clamp to the railing and the tri-pod base on balconies. Both work no problems.
                >
                > Jim
                > JG1KGS
                >
                > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "wh6diq_richard_in_honolulu" <wh6diq@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Aloha,
                > >
                > > I will be receiving a Superstick in about a week, but wondering whether or not I will need to use the LDG AT 897 tuner with it.
                > >
                > > I will be trying it out using the clamping mount on an aluminum lanai railing, and also using the tripod base in the open on the rooftop.
                > >
                > > 73
                > >
                > > Richard
                > > wh6diq

              • Alex Netherton
                Message 7 of 8 , May 3, 2013
                  What kind of signal report do you get, and how do you set up ground
                  plane/radials? Is the antenna any good for DX?

                  --
                  Alex Netherton
                  http://blueridgediscovery.com