Re: High pitch tone during transmit

  • kk6cye
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1 8:20 AM
      Hi Matt,

      Thanks for the feedback.

      I thought it may help folks to record the sound.

      I usually use JT65, so this is a test transmission on JT65-HF @ 40W. Main rig volume is low, so all you're hear is the tone.

      Here's a link:

      http://youtu.be/T5FRavm9Ye0

      In the view you can see I am increasing the power using the SignaLink TX knob until ALC appears then disappears, as close to 40W as possible. The tone then comes on, then I decrease the power using the TX knob until the tone is gone, around 10W. I repeat to recreate the tone

      Hope this helps more.

      73
      Chris

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <doormatt@...> wrote:

      > Hi Chris, I suspect RF is getting into your setup at higher power levels -
      > certainly a possibility given the symptons you have described.
      >

      > Matt
      > VK1MA

    • kk6cye
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1 6:50 PM
        I was able to test with a dummy load. I unhooked the AT897 tuner and CAT cable, and connected the MFJ-260c dummy load directly to HF antenna port on the FT-897D.

        HF Antenna: MFJ-260c Dummy Load
        Freq: 14.076
        Power: 50W

        Mode: FM - I keyed it up using the mic, and in within 4 seconds, the tone sounded. The LDG FT-Meter showed a power of 50W

        Mode: PKT - same result as FM.

        Mode AM: Power maxed at 20W, even when the rig was setup for 50W. No tone.

        I also tried it on the VHF side, freq 145.230/FM, and also received the tone after keying for a few seconds.

        Any thoughts?

        Chris

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <doormatt@...> wrote:

        > Hi Chris, I suspect RF is getting into your setup at higher power levels -
        > certainly a possibility given the symptons you have described.
        >

        > Matt
        > VK1MA

      • kk6cye
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1 7:21 PM
          I ran through more test...

          Well I executed a complete reset (Home + Power)
          Unplugged everything in the back except the dummy load to the VHF antenna port
          Set freq to 145.230/FM
          Power = 50W
          Keyed mic and receive the same tone sound after a few seconds.

          I also set the power to the following and received the following results:

          25W - No tone after 20 sec.
          35W - No tone after 20 sec.
          40W - Tone after 4 sec.
          35W (again) - No tone after 60 sec.

          The FT-Meter properly reflect the power selected

          Really not sure what else to do at this point seems like something is setting off this tone.

          73

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <doormatt@...> wrote:

          > Hi Chris, I suspect RF is getting into your setup at higher power levels -
          > certainly a possibility given the symptons you have described.
          >

          > Matt
          > VK1MA

        • Rob Hilhorst
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2 2:00 AM
            Maybe it is the known problem of the ft897 's BIAS? Is there a machine noise
            with no audio input and only ptt switched on in ssb?

            Gr Rob, pb0aob

          • Matt
            Message 5 of 12 , May 7 12:28 AM
              Now that is strange - doesn't seem to be RF related - no idea sorry.

              Matt
              VK1MA

              > I thought it may help folks to record the sound.
              >
              > I usually use JT65, so this is a test transmission on JT65-HF @ 40W. Main
              > rig volume is low, so all you're hear is the tone.
              >
              > Here's a link:
              >
              > http://youtu.be/T5FRavm9Ye0
              >
              > In the view you can see I am increasing the power using the SignaLink TX
              > knob until ALC appears then disappears, as close to 40W as possible. The
              > tone then comes on, then I decrease the power using the TX knob until the
              > tone is gone, around 10W. I repeat to recreate the tone
              >
              > Hope this helps more.
              >
              > 73
              > Chris
            • Radio_Randy
              Message 6 of 12 , May 7 9:01 AM
                Try another power supply or battery power and see if that has any effect.

                73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "kk6cye" <kk6cye@...> wrote:

                > I ran through more test...
                >
                > Well I executed a complete reset (Home + Power)
                > Unplugged everything in the back except the dummy load to the VHF antenna port
                > Set freq to 145.230/FM
                > Power = 50W
                > Keyed mic and receive the same tone sound after a few seconds.
                >
                > I also set the power to the following and received the following results:
                >
                > 25W - No tone after 20 sec.
                > 35W - No tone after 20 sec.
                > 40W - Tone after 4 sec.
                > 35W (again) - No tone after 60 sec.
                >
                > The FT-Meter properly reflect the power selected
                >
                > Really not sure what else to do at this point seems like something is setting off this tone.
                >
                > 73
              • ai4wu
                Message 7 of 12 , May 7 12:59 PM
                  Chris,

                  From your video, it sounds more like an under voltage or over current alarm like the one on the Rigrunner or power supply. I can't think of anything on the radio that would generate that tone.

                  Chuck - AI4WU

                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "kk6cye" <kk6cye@...> wrote:

                  > I ran through more test...
                  >
                  > Well I executed a complete reset (Home + Power)
                  > Unplugged everything in the back except the dummy load to the VHF antenna port
                  > Set freq to 145.230/FM
                  > Power = 50W
                  > Keyed mic and receive the same tone sound after a few seconds.
                  >
                  > I also set the power to the following and received the following results:
                  >
                  > 25W - No tone after 20 sec.
                  > 35W - No tone after 20 sec.
                  > 40W - Tone after 4 sec.
                  > 35W (again) - No tone after 60 sec.
                  >
                  > The FT-Meter properly reflect the power selected
                  >
                  > Really not sure what else to do at this point seems like something is setting off this tone.
                  >
                  > 73
                  >
                  > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Matt" <doormatt@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Chris, I suspect RF is getting into your setup at higher power levels -
                  > > certainly a possibility given the symptons you have described.
                  > >

                  > > Matt
                  > > VK1MA

                • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 7 8:50 PM
                    Wow, a puzzler.

                    Forgive me if these questions have been answered.

                    I don't have my TS897 in front of me but I think it does have a monitor
                    setting. Is it turned off so you don't hear the transmit tones?

                    If you lower the RF power all the way down, do you still hear the tones?

                    Do you have a dummy load? If so if you hook it up, do you hear the tones?

                    A fast and OK dummy load can be made from a electric light socket with
                    pigtails, 100 watt light bulb (MUST BE INCANDESCENT BULB), a small length
                    of 50 ohm coax and a coax plug (PL259) - this was the typical Novice
                    station dummy load when we got our 75 watt maximum input license good for a
                    year years ago.

                    It sounds like some digital mode in monitor mode to me.

                    David