Re: [FT897] Re: Are Any Of You Corvette Owners?

  • Joe - W7RKN
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 29, 2013
      Nope..only interested in 144.390, specifically...APRS There isn't much of a metal chassis under the plastic car.

      There was a guy name of Gordon Peterson, who made a very nice, under the license plate, antenna plate, for the C6 Corvette. Unfortunately, the only email address for him is no longer working, and I have no clue what his call was/is. Nothing comes up in a name search on QRZ

      I do have an idea on creating a ground plane. But I will have to figure out how to pull the trim from around the rear hatch.

      I will document my endeavors and post it on the various groups, for any future C6 owners who wish to install a radio in their cars.

      Joe - W7RKN

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 29, 2013
        A friend of mine has a 2006 and put a good Mag Mount on the frame
        under the car, horizontal.  He said it works well with the local Repeaters.

        Leon Robinson    K5JLR

        Political Correctness is a Political Disease.

        From: David Zahler

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 29, 2013
          Now that is interesting...will look into that!

          Thanks

          Joe - W7RKN

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 29, 2013
            It goes against theory, but he says it works.

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 29, 2013
              Rather than something that needs a ground plain why not build a
              j-pole? They are quite effective and there are plans for one on the
              net using a fibreglass pole used for a safety flag to use with bikes
              or motor cycles. Anyway, a little creative juice and it will not be
              too hard. I build slim-jims using Radio Shack twin lead and they are
              fantastic. The problem is how to provide stiffening and support. Not a
              big problem with a modified J-Pole.
              _____________________________
              D. Hilton, Phone: 250-721-4440,
              eMail: radiodog4@...,
              Web Site: ldsradio.ca
            • bob netherton
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 30, 2013
                On 04/29/13 03:08 PM, Leon Robinson wrote:

                > It goes against theory, but he says it works.

                Seriously ? The wrong polarization and about as low as you can go without it
                being actually buried ? I never would have thought that possible. And here I
                am trying to figure out how to get my 5/8 wave as high as I can, and the nearest
                hill is in the next state.

                Bob
              • Radio_Randy
                Message 7 of 10 , May 1, 2013
                  Joe,

                  I haven't been following this discussion, but you might also do some research into the "hidden" antennas that they make for undercover cops. I've seen some that appear to attach (horizontally), somewhere around the bumper.

                  Just a thought.

                  73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Joe - W7RKN <w7rkn.7@...> wrote:

                  > If yes, is it a C6? and if yes again, do you have a ham radio mounted in
                  > it.
                  >
                  > I am looking for information pertaining to an antenna mounting plate that
                  > goes behind the license plate and I have questions about how you ran a
                  > ground plane.
                  >
                  > Thank you
                  >
                  > Joe Wolfe - W7RKN

                • Joe - W7RKN
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 1, 2013
                    The big problem with all the different police style antennas is...they are
                    expected to be mounted on a metal vehicle, not plastic, like my Corvette.
                    :(

                    Joe - W7RKN