Re: [FT897] Xmit tuning

  • Steve Yates, AA5TB
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 24, 2013
      David,
      The manual is correct, the Clarifier does NOT affect your transmit frequency. Some rigs have this ability and call it XIT (Transmitter Incremental Tuning).  For the FT-897D you can use the Split function for this.
      The Clarifier (RIT - Receiver Incremental Tuning) control only affects the receive frequency if turned on.  If you tune your frequency to say 7200 kHz with the Clarifier off, you will transmit and receive on 7200 kHz.  If you turn it on and then turn its knob so the display read 7200.2 kHz, you will be listening on 7200.2 kHz but still transmitting on 7200 kHz.
      It is best to tune your frequency to where you want to transmit without the Clarifier on and use the Clarifier to fine tune stations that may sound a little off.  For instance, this might be used in a round table discussion with several folks or a net.  If the net or your buddies are on 7200 kHz, tune the VFO dial to 7.200.00 and then lock the dial.  You can now turn on the Clarifier to adjust your receive frequency as desired without affecting your transmit frequency.
      Normal practice is to leave it off until initial contact is made and then use it to fine turn the station(s) you're listening to.  Otherwise you might both chase each other up the band.

      73,

      Steve Yates - AA5TB

      LotW

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26, 2013
        Steve, thank you for further clarification.

        David KK4NTC