Re: [FT897] 897D Go Kit Project

  • Dean Gibson AE7Q
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 4, 2013
      Sometimes we forget: the FT-897D is designed for 13.8 volts *WHILE
      TRANSMITTING*. That's what both my car and my home power supply deliver.

      I'd like to see voltages on the batteries being discussed, *measured
      while transmitting* @ 25W and @ 100W.

      -- Dean

      On 2013-04-04 18:19, Jason Turning wrote:

      > The FT-897D is designed for 13.8 volts, ...

    • Chris Robinson
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 4, 2013
        Having feeling ripped off for the prie of the FNB-78, I am looking for
        something as well. I was curious as to who had such batteries to begin
        with, all I seem to find are the standard 12V

        --
        Making life hell for others since 1973

        Mr.C.Robinson
        73 DE KF6NFW

      • Jason Turning
        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 4, 2013
          Per my Watts Up meter with the FT-897D:

          20Ah Gel Cell:
          RX 12.7 V
          25w CW 11.93 V
          100w CW 11.60 V

          6.8Ah K2 Energy LiFePo:
          RX 13.2 V
          25w CW 12.27 V
          100w CW 11.64 V

          I held the CW for a few seconds into a dummy load and let the voltage settle
          down. I should also point out this was running through my PWRgate as well, and
          the Gel Cell was on the PWRgate and fully charged where the K2 Energy battery
          had set with my portable gear.

          According to the meter on my FT-897D I also get a voltage drop from the power
          supply even though the power supply doesn't show it on the meter which I
          believe is due to the resistance of the power wires under the 17.15 amp load.
          I'm not an electrical engineer so I'll leave for someone else to chime in with.

          Jason - N6WBL

          On 04/04/2013 06:34 PM, Dean Gibson AE7Q wrote:
          > Sometimes we forget: the FT-897D is designed for 13.8 volts *WHILE
          > TRANSMITTING*. That's what both my car and my home power supply deliver.
          >
          > I'd like to see voltages on the batteries being discussed, *measured while
          > transmitting* @ 25W and @ 100W.
          >
          > -- Dean
        • Kim Scheidel
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 8, 2013
            Donovan,

            Take a look at the Ventenna HFp for your go kit.  It is very light and portable.  Believe it is just what a go kit needs. I have the vertical one with 80M coil.  Also have the dipole one that does 20-6 meters.  With options you can add 30, 40, 60 and 80 meters to the dipole.  The dipole can also be used on 2M SSB by using just the two whip antennas.  It has been great antenna and the 2 M SSB has been a fun addition.

            Review of the HFp in this months Popular Communications.   Also you can check out the reviews on e-ham.    Their web site  http://www.ventenna.com/

            Kim,  KE6RKX

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 9, 2013
              Hi Donovan,

              Take a look at the Buddipole Group here on Yahoo also. My set-up is shown in the photos section under W4FJT. A simple vertical consisting of a Buddipole coil, 2 22" arms & long whip on a photo tripod. One elevated radial.

              I use a 33 AH Werker wheelchair battery. It will power the FT-897 for a casual weekend of use and is easy to carry. It wouldn't work for backpacking, but works good for car camping or cabin camping.

              Be sure to post some pictures of your go kit when you get it up and running.

              Jim, W4FJT

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Kim Scheidel <ke6rkx@...> wrote:

              > Donovan,
              >
              > Take a look at the Ventenna HFp for your go kit.  It is very light and portable.  Believe it is just what a go kit needs. I have the vertical one with 80M coil.  Also have the dipole one that does 20-6 meters.  With options you can add 30, 40, 60 and 80 meters to the dipole.  The dipole can also be used on 2M SSB by using just the two whip antennas.  It has been great antenna and the 2 M SSB has been a fun addition.
              >
              > Review of the HFp in this months Popular Communications.   Also you can check out the reviews on e-ham.    Their web site  http://www.ventenna.com/
              >

              > Kim,  KE6RKX
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Trapper John
              Message 6 of 25 , May 4, 2013
                Pete, I've followed the discussion of the K2 Energy battery application for portable use with great interest. The cabling setup you've worked out is quite clever. One comment you made in another post left me wondering, though. You mentioned forgetting to charge your battery on one occasion. Here's the question:

                How do you charge the battery when you are in the field? The question is not facetious; you may have had access to an AC hookup,, a portable generator, etc. My interest stems from the fact that my QTH is a Teardrop trailer with solar charging capability and I am trying to figure out a panel configuration that will give me a charging option.

                73,
                Trapper John
                KG7CFV

                > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Pete" <odyssey570@> wrote:
                > >

                > > Below is a link to some photos I put up of the 4 short cables, which I attempted to describe in my previous post, that I use to connect my battery (K2 Energy) with my Yaesu FT-897D radio. Though I've made several PowerPole cables before, these cables and meter were all ordered from the PowerWerx company (under "Adapter Cables" and "Digital Meters"). To connect the battery, I just disconnect the Molex 6-pin connector that comes from the radio's built-in power supply, and connect the Moles 6-pin connector at the end of the series of cables shown in the pictures.
                > >
                > > < http://www.flickr.com/photos/11636522@N06/sets/72157633102638443/ >
                > > (you can copy and paste link into your browser)
                > >
                > > The battery I got has a 9.6 amp-hour capacity, is about 6"x4"x2" in size and weighs a bit over 2 lbs. During my Grand Canyon adventure mine ran the radio well on full 100 watts transmitting power for at least 5-6 hours. The model I have has a built-in "Battery Management System"(BMS) which protects it from overcharging, becoming undercharged, cell imbalance, and other things that can damage a lithium iron phosphate (LiFePo) battery. This model does not require a smart charger (in fact should not use one) because the built-in BMS provides the smartness. Any 3-4 amp (not more), 12v charger will do for charging. This type of battery keeps its charge for a long period of non-use, and maintains a very steady voltage rate during use, until it is close to being depleted. Mine has performed beautifully so far.
                > >
                > > Pete, KE6ZIW

              • Jason Turning
                Message 7 of 25 , May 7, 2013
                  John,

                  As long as you get the K2 Energy with the battery management system you can use
                  any regular 12v charging system. You can just plug it into your vehicle on the
                  way out portable to charge or use a regular 12v charge controller with solar
                  panels. I've done both, charging from the vehicle and using a solar panel while
                  operating. The BMS controls the charge to the battery and will shut it off when
                  the batter is fully charged as I've watched my Watts Up meter while it was
                  plugged into the vehicle and driving. The battery loses very little charge just
                  sitting, so I just charge mine when I get back and its ready to go.

                  Jason - N6WBL

                  On 05/04/2013 11:24 PM, Trapper John wrote:
                  > Pete, I've followed the discussion of the K2 Energy battery application for portable use with great interest. The cabling setup you've worked out is quite clever. One comment you made in another post left me wondering, though. You mentioned forgetting to charge your battery on one occasion. Here's the question:
                  >
                  > How do you charge the battery when you are in the field? The question is not facetious; you may have had access to an AC hookup,, a portable generator, etc. My interest stems from the fact that my QTH is a Teardrop trailer with solar charging capability and I am trying to figure out a panel configuration that will give me a charging option.
                  >
                  > 73,
                  > Trapper John
                  > KG7CFV
                • Pete
                  Message 8 of 25 , May 7, 2013
                    Hi Trapper John. When I forgot to charge the K2 battery overnight I was staying at the Grand Canyon at one of the lodges where there was 110V AC power. The "12V" (14.4V, 3A) charger I use for the battery plugs into 110V. I don't have any experience with charging the battery with anything other than access to 110V.

                    I used the battery on two successive days with my FT-897D and Buddipole antenna, with radio set to 100W transmitting. After the first day of about 2 1/2 hrs radio use (maybe 30%-40% transmitting duty), I foolishly forgot to recharge the battery. The next day I used the radio about another 2 1/2 - 3 hrs with radio set to 100W. When I quit, my Watt's Up meter showed the battery was still putting out 11.9V while transmitting (and around 12.3V on receive). The radio's manual recommends the lowest voltage to run the 897 on is about 11.7. So after about 5-6 hrs of combined use the battery was still doing well and allowing great contacts with operators in 9 different states.

                    I described my experience, with a few photos, on Flickr at: < http://www.flickr.com/photos/11636522@N06/sets/72157633054005624/ >

                    Pete, KE6ZIW