Re: [FT897] Power reading

  • Gary P. Shuford
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2013
      Are you in SSB mode? If so you will only have a power indication with modulation (when you speak).

      Gary P. Shuford
      Doskey Mobile Veterinary Care
      www.gretnaweather.com

      On Apr 3, 2013, at 11:53 AM, "embark999" <embark001@...> wrote:

      > I have the power set to 100 watts (mode 75) I have mode 61 (xmit) set to pwr.
      > When I press the xmit key, there isn't any bar graph movement...???
      > I also have the LDG meter connected, it too shows no movement.
      > What am I missing?
      >
      > David KK4NTC

    • Charles Scott
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2013
        David:

        Which transmit mode are you testing with? (USB, LSB, AM, FM, DIG...) USB
        and LSB would not show a power indication tell you talk and you have
        proper mic gain set.

        Chuck - N8DNX

        --
        *Charles Scott*, President
        Gaslight Media

        E-Mail: cscott@...
        Office: 231-487-0692

      • Martyn Whyte
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2013
          David,

          Turn the meter so it will be displaying MOD (modulation) then if your
          bar-graph moves and the meter doesn't it may be the lead between the
          FT-meter and your 897 is not making a good connection.
          I had one that did the very same and I had to replace the lead, since then
          no issues!

          --
          Regards,
          Martyn-MM0XXW

        • embark999
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2013
            I went back and deleted my post as I discovered I had the display on the wrong setting.

            David KK4NTC

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Charles Scott <cscott@...> wrote:

            > David:
            >
            > Which transmit mode are you testing with? (USB, LSB, AM, FM, DIG...) USB
            > and LSB would not show a power indication tell you talk and you have
            > proper mic gain set.
            >
            > Chuck - N8DNX

          • embark999
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2013
              Thank you. I went back and deleted the original message as I discovered I had the display on the wrong setting.

              David KK4NTC

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Gary P. Shuford" <vortexchaser@...> wrote:

              > Are you in SSB mode? If so you will only have a power indication with modulation (when you speak).
              >
              > Gary P. Shuford
              > Doskey Mobile Veterinary Care
              > www.gretnaweather.com

            • david taylor
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
                If you are using ssb and not transmitting sound there would be no
                power out because the carrier is suppressed with ssb

                Dave Taylor
                Sent from my iPhone
              • Chris Robinson
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
                  Dont feel bad, I do it often. I dont like the method to go through for
                  changing bands and tuning, it is a real pain in the ass. then to remember
                  to switch to CW or AM/FM. dont overdrive and sometimes even low is to low!

                  --
                  Making life hell for others since 1973

                  Mr.C.Robinson
                  73 DE KF6NFW