Re: [FT897] Re: 897-D out of alingment

  • n8dnx
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
      Rich:

      Generally when the frequency is off a bit it's relative to the frequency (percentage error). If what you are describing is correct, you have at least as much error on 20 Meters as you do on 2 Meters. If there's a problem with the reference frequency, you'd normally expect the error on 2 meters to be considerably more than on 20. I'm not aware of any reported problems with the FT-897 that would do this.

      Also, 2 KHz is a pretty serious difference. That's enough to start causing problems with distortion and sensitivity for both many repeaters. Have you had any such symptoms?

      However, if they go their decimal point wrong and they meant 2 Hz, that's pretty darn'd close to where it should be.

      Chuck - N8DNX

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "NI6H" >;ni6h@...> wrote:
      >> I was using my packet station to test a digipeater our club is going to turn on
      and one of our techs, was monitoring everything on his bench monitor and noticed
      that my 897 D was transmitting 2 KC higher than it should BE on 2 meters about the
      same on 6 meters and about 2.4 on 20 meters. (sample tests) I called Yaesu and
      they said send it.> > I dont have experience to touch my board but one of the techs does and if it is
      only an adjustment/s of a crystal or pots etc, he can do it with his bench
      monitor. Has anyone made these adjustments and can you direct me to where on the
      board they would be done? (and maybe where to get documentation to help
      accomplish the task, I dont have a service manual, are they downloadable
      somewhere?)> > Rich NI6H>

    • Butch Bussen
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2013
        I've been playing with this, wondering if anyone has values to suggest. I
        tried 70 06 which near as I can tell didn't do anything, so put it back to
        1f 06 which is what it was.
        73
        Butch
        WA0VJR
        Node 3148
        Wallace, ks.
      • jeff 1
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2013
          Just a thought we are not talking about the difference between indicated
          'dial' frequency and actual transmitted rf on ssb are we?
          Depending on the tone frequency that would be in the region of 2kHz,

          73
          Jeff G8HUL

          I would have to look, but I seem to recall that the TCXO in the radio is
          accessible by removing a cover. The frequency adjustment is relatively
          straight forward and it affects all your bands at the same time. If you
          correct for one, you've corrected for them all.

          If you are still fighting this problem, drop a reply and I will take a look
          inside my radio. It seems that I might have this adjustment, a couple years
          ago. Of course, since I maintain over 300 radios, my memory might be a bit
          off.

          73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "NI6H" <ni6h@...> wrote:

          > I was using my packet station to test a digipeater our club is going to
          turn on and one of our techs, was monitoring everything on his bench monitor
          and noticed that my 897 D was transmitting 2 KC higher than it should BE on
          2 meters about the same on 6 meters and about 2.4 on 20 meters. (sample
          tests) I called Yaesu and they said send it.

          > I dont have experience to touch my board but one of the techs does and if
          it is only an adjustment/s of a crystal or pots etc, he can do it with his
          bench monitor. Has anyone made these adjustments and can you direct me to
          where on the board they would be done? (and maybe where to get
          documentation to help accomplish the task, I dont have a service manual, are
          they downloadable somewhere?)

          > Rich NI6H

        • Butch Bussen
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2013
            I sent one message to the group, but not sure if it went through. I've
            tried widebander which doesn't give me any errors, but doesn't change
            anything. When I use the softjump ft.exe I can read from the radio, but
            when I try and write, I get an error. I can't read my serial number, but
            got radio in Octobert of 2010.
            73
            Butch
            WA0VJR
            Node 3148
            Wallace, ks.
          • NI6H
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2013
              Jeff, tests were all done on the FM mode. Thanks everyone for your responses, I have replied off line to you. I decided to send the radio to Yaesu, if any of your suggestions were on point, to cause this offset and it wasnt really just out of alignment, I will post about it, for others...Many Thanks to all of you! NI6H

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, jeff 1 <g8hul@...> wrote:

              > Just a thought we are not talking about the difference between indicated
              > 'dial' frequency and actual transmitted rf on ssb are we?
              > Depending on the tone frequency that would be in the region of 2kHz,
              >
              > 73
              > Jeff G8HUL

            • Butch Bussen
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 14, 2013
                I did some more testing and although it will read the radio, it says
                failure to write, I forget the exact error. Did they change the later
                radios so this can't be done?
                73
                Butch
                WA0VJR