Re: NEW HAM - FT-897 to FT-2900 Simplex Transmit/Receive Range

  • Radio_Randy
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2013
      I, too, must disagree with the inference that coiled coax causes a noticeable loss in range. If this were the case, coax baluns would have been rejected, years ago.

      I operate a VHF communications over a large part of rural Washington state and have never noticed any coverage differences in mobiles with coax either coiled or not. Of course, if your friend's coax was of the foam variety, I would have attributed the improvement to the center conductor migrating to the shield braid, which I have seen.

      73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Dennis <n8bmb1@...> wrote:

      > The coax being coiled does make a difference. I have seen it in person
      > and the "wow" factor after it was straightened out. In this case, if
      > memory serves, he is on the side of a "mountain" (based on different
      > post about different subject).
      >
      > But in agreement, there are so many factors in UHf/VHf that it can make
      > someone say "why bother?". However, the mobile is pushing 75 watts. He
      > SHOULD have heard SOMETHING at 15 miles, even a small S-1 something but
      > again, it could be the local noise level killed that too. We just don't
      > know. We are working on this off board at this time. I gave him
      > several things to check on and am waiting the outcome of that
      > investigation before moving on tho something else.
      >
      > Dennis - N8BMB
    • Alex
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 22, 2013
        Hi Donovan;
        The answer is: "Yes, you should be able to communicate for a lot more than five miles". Get a SWR meter either off ebay or amazon and check your antennas. The feed line does not need to be resonant if it is 50 ohm coax, but the antennas definitely need to be resonant, that is, SWR of 2:1 or less. If the antennas are cut for 450, and they are both vertically polarized, you should get "line of sight" all day long, which is a bit more than 5 miles even in flat terrain IF (very large "if")your base antenna is off the ground level. Of course, if your base antenna is only a few feet, then 5 miles might be all you can do. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-of-sight_propagation
        I would play around with it (the HAM way!), and see what I got with different installations and configurations.

        Note: If your home/base ant. is horizontal and the mobile is vertical (almost certain), then you will have a LOT of attenuation, some say as much as 50dB.
        Another note: Use of a SWR meter is very important in both mobile and base operation. Antennas are rarely tuned from the factory due to the fact that the installation can change the SWR radically. A resonant stretch of coax on VHF can cause lots of problems; stay with a random stretch and tune the antenna. Ebay has several workable SWR meters for under $40 US. Make SURE you get the one for VHF/UHF.

        There's more, but all that is a start...

        No repeaters out there?

        73 es GUD DX.

        Alex KC4BO