Re: FNB-78 Battery connectors

  • jamespgrove
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28, 2013
      Does anyone know what the soft sticky pads are for that come in the box with the FNB-78 battery? Theres no mention in the manual?

      Thanks

      Jim M6BXG

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Chris Robinson <kf6nfw@...> wrote:

      > Awesome, Thank you for posting this information, I have been going nuts
      > looking all over the place.
      >
      > On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM, <embark001@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I was able to finally get the part number and ordered a few from Digi-Key.
      > > Yaesu nor JST would respond to me. The 3 pin connector that is used on the
      > > battery cable is 455-1184-ND, matching female crimp pins for it are:
      > > 455-1319-1-ND. These are what mate with the onboard male connectors (A & B)
      > > inside the 897D radio. The pin pitch is 3.96 mm. In a quantity of 10,
      > > you'll see they are .13 and .117 cents each.
      > >
      > > David KK4NTC

    • jdeitch2
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
        On March 16 I posted all the required info here message #38688. Search is your friend and it works!

        David glad my info worked for you.

        Jim
        JG1KGS

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "kf6nfw" <kf6nfw@...> wrote:

        > I know I have as well as a few others have been looking for the little white connector on the FNB-78 Battery that plugs into the rig battery tray.
        >
        > Well I contacted Yaesu, and was told that no one knows which part number that is, and there is no specs on hand by the techs to tell anything.
        > I suspect this as bogus as how do you install a part and not know what it is?
        >
        > Just to clarify, I am discussing the 3 pin white molded plastic connector and not the round plug that extends through chassis and used with CD-24.
        >
        > If anyone has a line on these or at least specs and or part numbers it sure would make it easy, otherwise, I may actually destroy one batter lead and mail it to mouser and ask for them to match it if possible!
        >
        > 73, DE KF6NFW

      • Chris Robinson
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
          After searching for over a month, and the site didnt have it at that time,
          never bothered to check site again for them.

          Personally I wondered about the small conector back in Nov, but never did
          anything with the thought.
          I think you and I came to same answer or close to it about same time, I
          jusr didnt see it posted,

          --
          Making life hell for others since 1973

          Mr.C.Robinson
          73 DE KF6NFW

        • Pete
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
            What is the advantage of connecting directly into the radio's internal battery tray vs using a Molex 6-pin connector that plugs into the existing external connection on the back of the radio? I'm assuming, that the purpose is to connect an external battery.

            Pete, KE6ZIW
            =====================

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "kf6nfw" <kf6nfw@...> wrote:

            > I know I have as well as a few others have been looking for the little white connector on the FNB-78 Battery that plugs into the rig battery tray.
            >
            > Well I contacted Yaesu, and was told that no one knows which part number that is, and there is no specs on hand by the techs to tell anything.
            > I suspect this as bogus as how do you install a part and not know what it is?
            >
            > Just to clarify, I am discussing the 3 pin white molded plastic connector and not the round plug that extends through chassis and used with CD-24.
            >
            > If anyone has a line on these or at least specs and or part numbers it sure would make it easy, otherwise, I may actually destroy one batter lead and mail it to mouser and ask for them to match it if possible!
            >
            > 73, DE KF6NFW

          • embark999
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
              For me, it’s the flexibility in my “Go Box” design. At the rear of the go box will be connectors for external batteries (having higher amp/hr ratings) and one connector for 110 v. The box has two radios (897D & a VHF), antenna tuner, swr meter, switching PS, etc... I just open the box and nothing has to be taken out. I realize you operate at 20 watts with the batteries. You could also select 20 watts when using the 6 pin plug to conserve running batteries off of it. If I’m operating off a generator, I can also be charging batteries. Should the generator go down, it’s a snap to go to battery operation. Admittedly, it’s also in part, just making use of the front panel indicators for “Bat A & Bat B”! Just my 2 cents.

              David KK4NTC

              --- In mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com, "kf6nfw" <kf6nfw@...> wrote:

              > I know I have as well as a few others have been looking for the little white connector on the FNB-78 Battery that plugs into the rig battery tray.
              >
              > Well I contacted Yaesu, and was told that no one knows which part number that is, and there is no specs on hand by the techs to tell anything.
              > I suspect this as bogus as how do you install a part and not know what it is?
              >
              > Just to clarify, I am discussing the 3 pin white molded plastic connector and not the round plug that extends through chassis and used with CD-24.
              >
              > If anyone has a line on these or at least specs and or part numbers it sure would make it easy, otherwise, I may actually destroy one batter lead and mail it to mouser and ask for them to match it if possible!
              >
              > 73, DE KF6NFW

            • Dean Gibson AE7Q
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 29, 2013
                I don't understand your comment below. You cannot charge batteries
                through the radio.

                What I use for charging external batteries is
                http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=pg40s&navcode=/UPSPGATE
                -- you need something to regulate/control the charging, to avoid
                over-charging the batteries.

                On 2013-03-29 10:50, embark001@... wrote:

                > ... If I’m operating off a generator, I can also be charging
                > batteries. ...
                >
                > David KK4NTC

              • embark999

                  On 2013-03-29 10:50, mailto:embark001%40gmail.com wrote:

                  > ... If I’m operating off a generator, I can also be charging
                  > batteries. ...
                  >
                  > David KK4NTC

                • liteguy.rm
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 25, 2014
                    Thank you for that info. I've been looking for it