Re: Newbie question: FT-897 and digital modes

  • Radio_Randy
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 26, 2013
      Jeff,

      I haven't looked at the schematic, but are you positive in your statement about "linear mode"? How about when operating the radio on FM?

      73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, jeff 1 <g8hul@...> wrote:

      > They are not 2 different things as far as the FT897 are concerned!! The 897
      > is always running in linear mode and the driver and PA stages have no
      > knowledge of how the 'carrier' it is being fed with is generated, as far as
      > they are concerned there is NO difference between a carrier caused by an
      > audio tone being fed into a balanced ssb modulator and one produced by say
      > injecting a carrier or unbalancing a balanced modulator.
      >
      > 73
      > Jeff G8HUL

    • JP Douglas
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 28, 2013
        You do not need to set the radio's mode to DIGI when using the Signalink.
        We do a couple of voice/digi nets weekly, using FM or USB is fine.

        73 de Jose KB1TCD

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 28, 2013
          Tell you what Jose - my FT897D will not transmit digital through the
          signalink without the radio being in DIGITAL.

          I am not sure how you are doing it, but your and my setup seem to work
          differently.

          I have the Cable to the Data jack in the back of the 897 to the
          signalink to a usb port on the PC.

          I use the Cat cable to the serial PC port for HRD control.

          On 3/28/2013 3:37 PM, JP Douglas wrote:

          > You do not need to set the radio's mode to DIGI when using the Signalink.
          > We do a couple of voice/digi nets weekly, using FM or USB is fine.
          >
          > 73 de Jose KB1TCD
          >
          > ________________________________

          KQØJ

        • KIMBERLY RYAN
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 28, 2013
            hay guys if you come out of the data port with a y one ground and ptt and the other ground and speaker set menu 40 to 40 and menu 37 about 35 you don't need a 100.00 dollaritem to send data a lot of opperators don't know this just an fyi for bthe group

            Thank you Joseph Ryan KB3POC

            "This e-mail message, including any attachments, is intended for the sole use of the individual(s) and entity(ies) to who it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under the applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute any information contained in this e-mail message. If you have received this message in error, immediately notify the sender and delete the message."

            ________________________________

            > The Yaesu manual says "rotate the DIAL knob to adjust the AFSK level
            within the FT-897D for seven to eight dots of indication on the ALC meter."

            With the SignaLink USB the audio enters the DATA port on the back of the
            radio. Set your mode to DIG so it uses the rear input. Set your meter to
            show ALC (I generally use the radio's meter for ALC and an external LDG
            meter to watch SWR). Set your audio output level on the PC to maximum for
            the USB Soundcard (SignaLink) in order to ensure the SL PTT is activated.
            Then use the TX Level knob on the SL to keep the ALC indication at zero
            (turn it up until you see some bars or dots, then back off until you're
            right at zero).

            tg.
            AJ4UQ.

          • JP
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
              We have this with Jose every time this question comes up. He has this thing about teaching people how to do it wrong because it sorta kinda works for him to do it wrong even though doing it wrong causes various problems that don't happen to impact him. He has been corrected many times, but each time he comes right back with a post like this.

              Among the other problems that doing it wrong may cause

              1. Many radios will not transmit when using the data jack and SSB or FM mode. Some do, some do not.

              2. CAT control will not work properly on most radios if you're using the data jack and SSB or FM mode. In fact, the radio may not transmit if you're using CAT control, inputting via the data jack, and have your mode set to SSB or FM (even if it does transmit when you're not using CAT control). A big statewide EMCOMM exercise in PA had serious problems a couple of years ago because a key station in the exercise decided to operate his radio incorrectly and couldn't transmit.

              3. Anything other than the default digital settings (menu items 38 set to "PSK" or "RTTY" only) will not work correctly on most radios if you're using the data jack and SSB or FM mode.

              4. Depending on what microphone you're using (and how old it is), your mike may be live during transmissions if you're using the data jack and SSB or FM mode - even if you do not have the PTT pressed.

              The manual is very specific that you should use the DIG mode when doing digital modes, and there are good reasons for it.

              73s
              Jon
              WB2RYV

              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                well thats fine for most other radioes but we are talking the ft 897 not most other radio ans we are now on the yahoo group for the ft 897!

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                  I find it difficult to swallow point #1 where "some do, some do not". This is most likely due to the individual menu settings in a given radio, rather than a difference between different dates of radio manufacture.

                  Jose's information may not agree with the manual, but that doesn't mean that his method won't work. He just needs to include some of the pitfalls inherent in taking his advice, like the CAT problem. I do not use CAT control and find it easier to take the type of shortcuts that he does. Does it mean that we are misleading folks...perhaps, slightly, but I've been successfully hamming for over 30 years, so I must be doing something right.

                  I agree that doing things by the manual are the best choice and am not suggesting everybody go off in their own direction. However, there are occasions where bypassing certain written directions can lend flexibility to getting a basic station on the air. For instance, look at the procedure for updating the firmware in an FT-2000D, sometime. A shortcut I learned on the Internet enabled me to do the updates and will simplify the procedure for years to come.

                  So far as your EMCOMM statement goes, I agree that all stations should follow standards, in order for an exercise to be effective. Still, someone may find a better way to do things, if one experiments, from time to time.

                  73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

                • barramunda@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                    Jon,thank you very much. Your e-mail solved a problem that has been driving me nut. Although I am an old-time ham, I am very new to digital comms and am learning things all the time. Walt - W2EVU Walter J. Stauffer
                    7532 North Ontario St.
                    Sodus Point, NY 14555
                    Tel. 315.483.4190

                    We have this with Jose every time this question comes up. He has this thing about teaching people how to do it wrong because it sorta kinda works for him to do it wrong even though doing it wrong causes various problems that don't happen to impact him. He has been corrected many times, but each time he comes right back with a post like this.

                    Among the other problems that doing it wrong may cause

                    1. Many radios will not transmit when using the data jack and SSB or FM mode. Some do, some do not.

                    2. CAT control will not work properly on most radios if you're using the data jack and SSB or FM mode. In fact, the radio may not transmit if you're using CAT control, inputting via the data jack, and have your mode set to SSB or FM (even if it does transmit when you're not using CAT control). A big statewide EMCOMM exercise in PA had serious problems a couple of years ago because a key station in the exercise decided to operate his radio incorrectly and couldn't transmit.

                    3. Anything other than the default digital settings (menu items 38 set to "PSK" or "RTTY" only) will not work correctly on most radios if you're using the data jack and SSB or FM mode.

                    4. Depending on what microphone you're using (and how old it is), your mike may be live during transmissions if you're using the data jack and SSB or FM mode - even if you do not have the PTT pressed.

                    The manual is very specific that you should use the DIG mode when doing digital modes, and there are good reasons for it.

                    73s
                    Jon
                    WB2RYV

                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, JP Douglas <josedouglas@...> wrote:

                    > You do not need to set the radio's mode to DIGI when using the Signalink.

                  • dave02k1scn
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 13 2:21 PM
                      Thanks all for your help.
                      Now that I've had a chance to experiment some, I thought I would try to tie the ribbons on this thread & let you know what I was able to discover. (Just for the record.)
                      With the help of NX8Z, Jim, we were able to determine on the air that showing more than 2 or 3 bars of ALC when transmitting PSK31 results in unwanted sidebands. So the correct setting is contrary to the instruction manual. The Dig Gain(Menu#037) & the Line Input (or Mic gain depending on your setup) to your computer interact. My experience has been so far that this is not a "set it and forget it" operation. I find I have to change the settings often depending on where in the passband (waterfall)I am injecting a signal & what frequency/band I am operating on.
                      Hope this is helpful.

                      Dave
                      K1SCN
                    • embark999
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 10, 2013
                        Rob
                        I am designing my "Go Box" and want to add digital mode capability, however I've never experimented with them. What are the minimum notebook requirements for interfacing? Would a tablet work? Space is my restriction.

                        David KK4NTC