Re: VHF Repeater Question

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 24, 2013
      I have no experience with Wouxon radios. However I have owned many other handheld radios (Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu). To my recollection all of them have been unable to receive signals when another radio is transmitting that is very close in proximity to them. It's been explained to me that the signal from a very close transmitting radio overwhelms the somewhat fragile receiving circuitry of the handheld, and the handheld shuts down its receiving function to protect itself. When this happens, it's my experience that the receiving handheld should be moved about 30 - 40 feet away from the transmitting radio (transmitting antenna) to clear up the problem. Some radios may be more vulerable to this effect than others and the distance may need to be greater. The stronger the output power of the transmitting radio the more this effect would be seen.

      One other thing (though unlikely) that I can think of that would cause your handheld to not be able to receive transmisions, when other radios are able to, is that your handheld has been accidentally programmed for incoming tone squelch. If so set, the handheld would mute itself (squelched off) until it receives a call from another radio that is sending out a matching tone to the one set in the handheld's tone squelch. The solution to this would be to turn off incoming tone squelch (which is rarely used) on your handheld.

      Pete, KE6ZIW