Re: [FT897] VHF Repeater Question

  • Chris Robinson
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 23 5:21 PM
      I have my antennas about 30 feet from its rig operating point, the antenna
      is about 6 feet above the deck. I can stand on the railing about 6 inches
      from the antenna for the *(&D and still not get a singal sound other then
      what is intended. I have several of the wouxuns ^x, and the UV5R's as well
      as real radios such as Icom Yaesu and none of the have an issue that close,
      regardless of power, which is only 50 watts on Vhf

    • Ricardo, W3-HK4BHA
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 24 5:19 PM
        Chris,
        If you are on the same frequency, of course you will receive, regardless of
        proximity and output power.
        However, when you are on a repeater frequency, the 897 is not transmitting
        on the same frequency you are tuned, it is actually transmitting + or -
        repeater offset.
        The strong RF field will de-sense your receiver, no matter how good it is,
        and again, from my technical expertise I know Wouxon radios do not boast a
        first class front end.
        If your radio doesn't de-sense in a strong RF field, 6 inches away from the
        antenna of a radio transmitting on a different frequency, you have solved
        one of the biggest problems for repaeter operators, you should publish it.
        73,
        Ricardo, W3/HK4BHA

        <hk4bha@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > It's simple, when he sends, he is transmitting + or - 600 KHz (on 2M)
        > and those Chinese radios will overload and desense completely if they
        > are clode to the 897D.
        > If the person holding the Wouxon walks away, a couple blocks, audio
        > will come through.
        > Audio is being transmitted, since he had someone reply on the machine,
        > someone that was a few miles away.
        > 73,
        > Ricardo, W3/HK4BHA

      • Pete
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 24 6:15 PM
          I have no experience with Wouxon radios. However I have owned many other handheld radios (Kenwood, Icom and Yaesu). To my recollection all of them have been unable to receive signals when another radio is transmitting that is very close in proximity to them. It's been explained to me that the signal from a very close transmitting radio overwhelms the somewhat fragile receiving circuitry of the handheld, and the handheld shuts down its receiving function to protect itself. When this happens, it's my experience that the receiving handheld should be moved about 30 - 40 feet away from the transmitting radio (transmitting antenna) to clear up the problem. Some radios may be more vulerable to this effect than others and the distance may need to be greater. The stronger the output power of the transmitting radio the more this effect would be seen.

          One other thing (though unlikely) that I can think of that would cause your handheld to not be able to receive transmisions, when other radios are able to, is that your handheld has been accidentally programmed for incoming tone squelch. If so set, the handheld would mute itself (squelched off) until it receives a call from another radio that is sending out a matching tone to the one set in the handheld's tone squelch. The solution to this would be to turn off incoming tone squelch (which is rarely used) on your handheld.

          Pete, KE6ZIW