Re: [FT897] External battery

  • Btconnect
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 15, 2013
      Why try to use the internal connectors? If you do you will restrict the power output and have to provide the matching plug for charging etc.

      Use the external molex power input plug just like a desk psu. Much easier and not reliant upon the internal circuitry of the 897 for charging etc.

      Ian
      G4EVK
      Sent from my iPad

      On 15 Mar 2013, at 07:33, <embark001@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the heads up on the standardization point. I can use what ever connectors that would be appropriate. Power pole’s included, but first, I need to connect to the little plugs on the 897’s pc board first. The intent was not to alter the radio. I am just trying to find a source for the matching female connectors, like those on the Yaesu’s existing batteries . Molded in the existing, on board connectors in the radio are the letters , “KF H JST”. I’ve written to JST & Yaesu and haven’t got responses yet. Digit key, a distributor for JST connectors did some research for me but didn’t find the exact match.
      >
      > David KK4NTC

    • hamuser
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 5, 2014
        i have a small external battery that i was using for qrp. I've seen that you can plug that kind of thing into the radio but how do you wire it? i dont want the charging capabilities, i just want to run the radio of the battery. Where do you plug the positive and negative leads into? Also can you homebrew or must you buy a power cord for the radio?  i got the internal power supply but it might be good to have an extra cord. thanks