Re: Cable between 897D and Mirage 2516 2m PA?

  • wb2pjh
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
      Rob,

      The cable you need is a stereo 1/8" to two male RCA plugs. It's a very common off the shelf cable. One plug will go to ground when the FT897 is transmitting - that's the PTT cable that will key your amp. The other plug is for amplifiers with ALC inputs. I use the setup I just described after moving the jumper with my Elecraft KPA500 which like most HF amps require both ALC and PTT inputs.

      Take care removing the cover because the speaker wires are short and it's too easy for them to slip off. Also, the jumper is located near the back of the unit and is very small. Take care not to drop it or worse yet, lose it.

      --Dave WB2PJH

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Rob McClure <KC5RET@...> wrote:

      > Hi Joel,
      >
      > Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like a need 1/8" stereo cable going into
      > what I would call a stereo female plug terminating into a Y-cable (2 RCA
      > males)?
      > I'm assuming the RCA male ends would probably be red and yellow?
      >
      > Now, by changing that jumper, what will the rig do when I'm NOT using the
      > Mirage? Will it function and key up normally or will I have to go back in
      > and change the jumper back to default?
      >
      > Thanks again!
      >
      > 73, Rob, KC5RET
      >
      > On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Joel <hiqual@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I would think that it would be simple with off the shelf Radio Shack
      > > cables like I did with my HF amplifier
      > > all you need is a 1/8 in stereo plug to 2 RCA jack jumper cable. There
      > > is a single jumper
      > > inside the FT897 to make one side a switching connection, then plug
      > > the switched RCA phono
      > > plug into your AMP.
      > >
      > > Change position of jumper J1027:
      > > By default jumper is in position 1-2 = TXREQ and need to put it in
      > > position 2-3 = TX-GND (this is indicated on the printboard)
      > > To find it: Open upper cover of the FT897 and find the jumper about
      > > 4 centimeters to the right from ACC connector.
      > >
      > > Cheers
      > >
      > > Joel
      > > KQ0J
      > >

      > > On 3/18/2013 11:08 AM, kc5ret wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Hello all,
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone (company) make a cable that will go from the 897D to a
      > > > Mirage 2516 2m PA that will allow the 897D to hard key the Mirage
      > > > instead of using RF sensing?
      > > >
      > > > I know it's possible to build one, but with two jobs my operating time
      > > > is very limited, besides my soldering stinks big time. I'd rather pay
      > > > for a quality cable and operate than waste time and take a chance that
      > > > my lousy soldering would fry my rig or my amp.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance everyone!
      > > >
      > > > 73, Rob, KC5RET

      > > > No virus found in this message.
      > > >

      > > --
      > > KQØJ

    • Rob McClure
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 20, 2013
        Hello all,

        Thanks guys! I really do appreciate the help. I'm really happy that hard
        keying the amp is not going to take away my DATA or CAT port.

        Although I'm not really comfortable opening my rig and replacing the
        jumper, I've had to do this on servers in the past, so it shouldn't be too
        bad, maybe a bit more cramped for space.

        I'll hit RS tomorrow afternoon or evening to get my cable and change the
        jumper on my rig. I finished building my 2m moxon last night, so I'll have
        something new to test Thursday evening.

        Thanks again guys!

        73, Rob, KC5RET

        On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM, kc5ret <KC5RET@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello all,
        >
        > Does anyone (company) make a cable that will go from the 897D to a
        > Mirage 2516 2m PA that will allow the 897D to hard key the Mirage
        > instead of using RF sensing?
        >
        > I know it's possible to build one, but with two jobs my operating time
        > is very limited, besides my soldering stinks big time. I'd rather pay
        > for a quality cable and operate than waste time and take a chance that
        > my lousy soldering would fry my rig or my amp.
        >
        > Thanks in advance everyone!
        >
        > 73, Rob, KC5RET

      • groups
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 21, 2013
          I have not seen this mentioned but a viable option for you may be a
          ARB-704 Keying relay with various options to key amps.

          Frank N6AQ

          Cheapest Ham Gear Auction Fee's on the Internet!

          http://hambidz.com