Re: Newbie question: FT-897 and digital modes

  • dave02k1scn
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 17, 2013
      I am also in the process of setting up my FT-897D for digital. So first off, thanks for the information.
      I am a little confused about one aspect of the setup process & could benefit from all your experiences. Most info on-line says to set the transmit audio by monitoring the ALC for minimum indication while achieving full power output. The Yaesu manual says "rotate the DIAL knob to adjust the AFSK level within the FT-897D for seven to eight dots of indication on the ALC meter."
      (Yes, that's the instruction for RTTY, But the PSK instructions state "...operation is basically identical..."
      I would appreciate your advice on this.
      Also, I have not been able to hook up with anyone local to look at my signal on the waterfall, so if anyone is interested in a SKED, I would appreciate it. (QTH is Gardnerville, NV)
      Thanks,
      Dave
      K1SCN

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Glaab, Tom" <tglaab@...> wrote:

      > > 1. Are their any docs / guides around that cover what is possible with
      > the radio without purchasing additional equipment? The radio's manual
      > doesn't cut it.
      >
      > Get an interface. I prefer SignaLink USB, but there are many other fine
      > options. If you just want to play you can hold your computer and radio
      > microphones near each other's speakers, but that gets old quickly.
      >
      > > 2. I've seen articles that indicated that the radio connected via CAT and
      > PC software (Fldigi -- I run Ubuntu) can work? Any other Linux / Ubuntu
      > suggestions maybe?
      >
      > FLdigi controls the radio fine under Ubuntu. The CAT cable is an extra
      > expense, and while very helpful is not required. If you plan to use
      > Windows7 be sure you get the FTDI chipset cables (USB-Serial driver).
      >
      > > 3. Any suggestions where I can find some audio files as examples for what
      > the different digital modes sound like?
      >
      > http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/Modes/index.htm
      >
      > > 4. Any suggestions as to where I can find (where do the guys hangout) on
      > 40 / 20 meters?
      >
      > 7040 kHz on 40m, 14070 on 20m.
      >
      > tg.
      > AJ4UQ.

    • Larry Knox
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 17, 2013
        hi, great radio choice for all around haming. i use a simple rigblaster nomic sound card interface. they will send you all the cables you will need, just follow directions on setting the jumpers inside the nomic. be sure to give the proper model radio in the order to get the proper mic cable. watch youtube videos on PSK31, come back here for indepth questions. of course the more expensive interfaces require less tweaking to a point. might be better for PSK31 newbies,  enjoy and 73
        KE5UBJ

      • J C
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 19, 2013
          I use a "Plug-n-Play" rigblaster, made with the accessory and CAT cables for the FT897D.  With that I use MIXW or FLDIGI for digital.  The first mistake I made was NOT to use the "digital" menu of the FT897, and SSB instead.  The digital menu insures the rear connection works with your soundcard interface.   Speaker and mike connections work (technically) but are too prone to operator error.  I prefer to have my transmit and receive audio independant of the volume control and mike.

          I'm running Win 7 on my machine, so can't be much help there.

          To listen, you might download one of the free programs and get it to play through your speakers when in transmit (without a radio).  On the air, 14070-14071 is active with BPSK31.  Tune higher, around 14072-14075 and you will hear the other modes, Olivia, etc.  Might also try 3670, 10140, 18070, 21070.  I'm sure there are frequencies and modes posted on the Web.

          73
          W6CJ

        • dave02k1scn
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 19, 2013
            Thanks for all the helpful information. I, too, am in the process of getting configured for BPSK31, but I am confused about one thing. Most info found on the Internet & here specifies that there should be little or no ALC indication when transmitting. The FT897D manual (page39) says "setup is basically identical to RTTY setup"...RTTY setup says(page 38) "7 to 8 bars of ALC".
            In your collective experience which is right?
            Thanks,
            Dave
            K1SCN

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, J C <lastradioman@...> wrote:

            > I use a "Plug-n-Play" rigblaster, made with the accessory and CAT cables for the FT897D.  With that I use MIXW or FLDIGI for digital.  The first mistake I made was NOT to use the "digital" menu of the FT897, and SSB instead.  The digital menu insures the rear connection works with your soundcard interface.   Speaker and mike connections work (technically) but are too prone to operator error.  I prefer to have my transmit and receive audio independant of the volume control and mike.
            >
            > I'm running Win 7 on my machine, so can't be much help there.
            >
            > To listen, you might download one of the free programs and get it to play through your speakers when in transmit (without a radio).  On the air, 14070-14071 is active with BPSK31.  Tune higher, around 14072-14075 and you will hear the other modes, Olivia, etc.  Might also try 3670, 10140, 18070, 21070.  I'm sure there are frequencies and modes posted on the Web.
            >
            > 73
            > W6CJ

          • Chris Robinson
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 23, 2013
              tunup for the 40 metere noontime net at 7.268.50 there you will here many
              stations all over the country, check in and let them know you are setting
              up the station, and many will be able to help you, also there are a couple
              big stations out of reno so you may be interested in chating with them
              after the net if possible.

              Making life hell for others since 1973

              Mr.C.Robinson
              73 DE KF6NFW

            • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 23, 2013
                If non-linear modes like A1 or F1 ALC indication of 8 dots does not
                indicate distortion while F1 or A1 produced in SSB mode of tranceiver DO
                indicate distortion in SSB Mode.

                Sound card modes are SSB mode not a carrier of A1 or F1 signal, they are
                SSB transmissions of tone AUDIO signals, and linear modes.

                Two different things!

                73

                DR
                On Mar 23, 2013 2:23 PM, "dave02k1scn" <dave02k1scn@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for all the helpful information. I, too, am in the process of
                > getting configured for BPSK31, but I am confused about one thing. Most info
                > found on the Internet & here specifies that there should be little or no
                > ALC indication when transmitting. The FT897D manual (page39) says "setup is
                > basically identical to RTTY setup"...RTTY setup says(page 38) "7 to 8 bars
                > of ALC".
                > In your collective experience which is right?
                > Thanks,
                > Dave
                > K1SCN
                >
                > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, J C <lastradioman@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I use a "Plug-n-Play" rigblaster, made with the accessory and CAT cables
                > for the FT897D. With that I use MIXW or FLDIGI for digital. The first
                > mistake I made was NOT to use the "digital" menu of the FT897, and SSB
                > instead. The digital menu insures the rear connection works with your
                > soundcard interface. Speaker and mike connections work (technically) but
                > are too prone to operator error. I prefer to have my transmit and receive
                > audio independant of the volume control and mike.
                > >
                > > I'm running Win 7 on my machine, so can't be much help there.
                > >
                > > To listen, you might download one of the free programs and get it to
                > play through your speakers when in transmit (without a radio). On the air,
                > 14070-14071 is active with BPSK31. Tune higher, around 14072-14075 and you
                > will hear the other modes, Olivia, etc. Might also try 3670, 10140, 18070,
                > 21070. I'm sure there are frequencies and modes posted on the Web.
                > >
                > > 73
                > > W6CJ

              • jeff 1
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 24, 2013
                  They are not 2 different things as far as the FT897 are concerned!! The 897
                  is always running in linear mode and the driver and PA stages have no
                  knowledge of how the 'carrier' it is being fed with is generated, as far as
                  they are concerned there is NO difference between a carrier caused by an
                  audio tone being fed into a balanced ssb modulator and one produced by say
                  injecting a carrier or unbalancing a balanced modulator.

                  73
                  Jeff G8HUL

                  If non-linear modes like A1 or F1 ALC indication of 8 dots does not indicate
                  distortion while F1 or A1 produced in SSB mode of tranceiver DO indicate
                  distortion in SSB Mode.

                  Sound card modes are SSB mode not a carrier of A1 or F1 signal, they are SSB
                  transmissions of tone AUDIO signals, and linear modes.

                  Two different things!

                  73

                  DR
                  On Mar 23, 2013 2:23 PM, "dave02k1scn" <dave02k1scn@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for all the helpful information. I, too, am in the process of
                  > getting configured for BPSK31, but I am confused about one thing. Most
                  > info found on the Internet & here specifies that there should be
                  > little or no ALC indication when transmitting. The FT897D manual
                  > (page39) says "setup is basically identical to RTTY setup"...RTTY
                  > setup says(page 38) "7 to 8 bars of ALC".
                  > In your collective experience which is right?
                  > Thanks,
                  > Dave
                  > K1SCN
                  >
                  > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, J C <lastradioman@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I use a "Plug-n-Play" rigblaster, made with the accessory and CAT
                  > > cables
                  > for the FT897D. With that I use MIXW or FLDIGI for digital. The
                  > first mistake I made was NOT to use the "digital" menu of the FT897,
                  > and SSB instead. The digital menu insures the rear connection works with
                  your
                  > soundcard interface. Speaker and mike connections work (technically) but
                  > are too prone to operator error. I prefer to have my transmit and
                  > receive audio independant of the volume control and mike.
                  > >
                  > > I'm running Win 7 on my machine, so can't be much help there.
                  > >
                  > > To listen, you might download one of the free programs and get it to
                  > play through your speakers when in transmit (without a radio). On the
                  > air,
                  > 14070-14071 is active with BPSK31. Tune higher, around 14072-14075
                  > and you will hear the other modes, Olivia, etc. Might also try 3670,
                  > 10140, 18070, 21070. I'm sure there are frequencies and modes posted on
                  the Web.

                  > > 73
                  > > W6CJ

                • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 25, 2013
                    They are not biased differently with CW mode? Interesting.

                    Yes, in a linear mode, there is no difference between tones being generated
                    and a balanced modulator being unbalanced to produce pure carrier. I am
                    thinking about other - usually older - radios.

                    Thank you for the correction, I wasn't thinking clearly and was stuck in 30
                    years ago technology.

                    This is better than coffee to get the cobwebs out of the recesses of the
                    brain.

                    Thanks again for the correction.

                    73

                    David N1EA

                  • Glaab, Tom
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 25, 2013
                      > The Yaesu manual says "rotate the DIAL knob to adjust the AFSK level
                      within the FT-897D for seven to eight dots of indication on the ALC meter."

                      With the SignaLink USB the audio enters the DATA port on the back of the
                      radio. Set your mode to DIG so it uses the rear input. Set your meter to
                      show ALC (I generally use the radio's meter for ALC and an external LDG
                      meter to watch SWR). Set your audio output level on the PC to maximum for
                      the USB Soundcard (SignaLink) in order to ensure the SL PTT is activated.
                      Then use the TX Level knob on the SL to keep the ALC indication at zero
                      (turn it up until you see some bars or dots, then back off until you're
                      right at zero).

                      tg.
                      AJ4UQ.

                    • Radio_Randy
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 26, 2013
                        Jeff,

                        I haven't looked at the schematic, but are you positive in your statement about "linear mode"? How about when operating the radio on FM?

                        73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

                        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, jeff 1 <g8hul@...> wrote:

                        > They are not 2 different things as far as the FT897 are concerned!! The 897
                        > is always running in linear mode and the driver and PA stages have no
                        > knowledge of how the 'carrier' it is being fed with is generated, as far as
                        > they are concerned there is NO difference between a carrier caused by an
                        > audio tone being fed into a balanced ssb modulator and one produced by say
                        > injecting a carrier or unbalancing a balanced modulator.
                        >
                        > 73
                        > Jeff G8HUL

                      • JP Douglas
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 28, 2013
                          You do not need to set the radio's mode to DIGI when using the Signalink.
                          We do a couple of voice/digi nets weekly, using FM or USB is fine.

                          73 de Jose KB1TCD

                          ________________________________
                          > The Yaesu manual says "rotate the DIAL knob to adjust the AFSK level
                          within the FT-897D for seven to eight dots of indication on the ALC meter."

                          With the SignaLink USB the audio enters the DATA port on the back of the
                          radio. Set your mode to DIG so it uses the rear input. Set your meter to
                          show ALC (I generally use the radio's meter for ALC and an external LDG
                          meter to watch SWR). Set your audio output level on the PC to maximum for
                          the USB Soundcard (SignaLink) in order to ensure the SL PTT is activated.
                          Then use the TX Level knob on the SL to keep the ALC indication at zero
                          (turn it up until you see some bars or dots, then back off until you're
                          right at zero).

                          tg.
                          AJ4UQ.

                        • Joel
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 28, 2013
                            Tell you what Jose - my FT897D will not transmit digital through the
                            signalink without the radio being in DIGITAL.

                            I am not sure how you are doing it, but your and my setup seem to work
                            differently.

                            I have the Cable to the Data jack in the back of the 897 to the
                            signalink to a usb port on the PC.

                            I use the Cat cable to the serial PC port for HRD control.

                            On 3/28/2013 3:37 PM, JP Douglas wrote:

                            > You do not need to set the radio's mode to DIGI when using the Signalink.
                            > We do a couple of voice/digi nets weekly, using FM or USB is fine.
                            >
                            > 73 de Jose KB1TCD
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                            KQØJ

                          • KIMBERLY RYAN
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 28, 2013
                              hay guys if you come out of the data port with a y one ground and ptt and the other ground and speaker set menu 40 to 40 and menu 37 about 35 you don't need a 100.00 dollaritem to send data a lot of opperators don't know this just an fyi for bthe group

                              Thank you Joseph Ryan KB3POC

                              "This e-mail message, including any attachments, is intended for the sole use of the individual(s) and entity(ies) to who it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under the applicable law. If you are not the intended addressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are notified that you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute any information contained in this e-mail message. If you have received this message in error, immediately notify the sender and delete the message."

                              ________________________________

                              > The Yaesu manual says "rotate the DIAL knob to adjust the AFSK level
                              within the FT-897D for seven to eight dots of indication on the ALC meter."

                              With the SignaLink USB the audio enters the DATA port on the back of the
                              radio. Set your mode to DIG so it uses the rear input. Set your meter to
                              show ALC (I generally use the radio's meter for ALC and an external LDG
                              meter to watch SWR). Set your audio output level on the PC to maximum for
                              the USB Soundcard (SignaLink) in order to ensure the SL PTT is activated.
                              Then use the TX Level knob on the SL to keep the ALC indication at zero
                              (turn it up until you see some bars or dots, then back off until you're
                              right at zero).

                              tg.
                              AJ4UQ.

                            • JP
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                                We have this with Jose every time this question comes up. He has this thing about teaching people how to do it wrong because it sorta kinda works for him to do it wrong even though doing it wrong causes various problems that don't happen to impact him. He has been corrected many times, but each time he comes right back with a post like this.

                                Among the other problems that doing it wrong may cause

                                1. Many radios will not transmit when using the data jack and SSB or FM mode. Some do, some do not.

                                2. CAT control will not work properly on most radios if you're using the data jack and SSB or FM mode. In fact, the radio may not transmit if you're using CAT control, inputting via the data jack, and have your mode set to SSB or FM (even if it does transmit when you're not using CAT control). A big statewide EMCOMM exercise in PA had serious problems a couple of years ago because a key station in the exercise decided to operate his radio incorrectly and couldn't transmit.

                                3. Anything other than the default digital settings (menu items 38 set to "PSK" or "RTTY" only) will not work correctly on most radios if you're using the data jack and SSB or FM mode.

                                4. Depending on what microphone you're using (and how old it is), your mike may be live during transmissions if you're using the data jack and SSB or FM mode - even if you do not have the PTT pressed.

                                The manual is very specific that you should use the DIG mode when doing digital modes, and there are good reasons for it.

                                73s
                                Jon
                                WB2RYV

                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                                  well thats fine for most other radioes but we are talking the ft 897 not most other radio ans we are now on the yahoo group for the ft 897!

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                                    I find it difficult to swallow point #1 where "some do, some do not". This is most likely due to the individual menu settings in a given radio, rather than a difference between different dates of radio manufacture.

                                    Jose's information may not agree with the manual, but that doesn't mean that his method won't work. He just needs to include some of the pitfalls inherent in taking his advice, like the CAT problem. I do not use CAT control and find it easier to take the type of shortcuts that he does. Does it mean that we are misleading folks...perhaps, slightly, but I've been successfully hamming for over 30 years, so I must be doing something right.

                                    I agree that doing things by the manual are the best choice and am not suggesting everybody go off in their own direction. However, there are occasions where bypassing certain written directions can lend flexibility to getting a basic station on the air. For instance, look at the procedure for updating the firmware in an FT-2000D, sometime. A shortcut I learned on the Internet enabled me to do the updates and will simplify the procedure for years to come.

                                    So far as your EMCOMM statement goes, I agree that all stations should follow standards, in order for an exercise to be effective. Still, someone may find a better way to do things, if one experiments, from time to time.

                                    73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

                                  • barramunda@juno.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 29, 2013
                                      Jon,thank you very much. Your e-mail solved a problem that has been driving me nut. Although I am an old-time ham, I am very new to digital comms and am learning things all the time. Walt - W2EVU Walter J. Stauffer
                                      7532 North Ontario St.
                                      Sodus Point, NY 14555
                                      Tel. 315.483.4190

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 13, 2013
                                        Thanks all for your help.
                                        Now that I've had a chance to experiment some, I thought I would try to tie the ribbons on this thread & let you know what I was able to discover. (Just for the record.)
                                        With the help of NX8Z, Jim, we were able to determine on the air that showing more than 2 or 3 bars of ALC when transmitting PSK31 results in unwanted sidebands. So the correct setting is contrary to the instruction manual. The Dig Gain(Menu#037) & the Line Input (or Mic gain depending on your setup) to your computer interact. My experience has been so far that this is not a "set it and forget it" operation. I find I have to change the settings often depending on where in the passband (waterfall)I am injecting a signal & what frequency/band I am operating on.
                                        Hope this is helpful.

                                        Dave
                                        K1SCN
                                      • embark999
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 10 4:54 AM
                                          Rob
                                          I am designing my "Go Box" and want to add digital mode capability, however I've never experimented with them. What are the minimum notebook requirements for interfacing? Would a tablet work? Space is my restriction.

                                          David KK4NTC