Re: ft-897 anti vox

  • wa6bd
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 14 7:51 PM
      Bill,

      Anti-VOX = Hang Time

      Terminology can get you out of sync with those around you

      per Wiki:

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice-operated_switch comes this:

      The VOX in a two-way radio can also be triggered by the loudspeaker carrying the other side of the conversation. This problem can be minimized with an "anti vox" feature to decrease VOX sensitivity when the receiver is active.

      Per the FT-897 Operating Manual comes this:

      The "Hang-Time" of the VOX system (the transmit-receive delay after the cessation of speech) may also be adjusted via the Menu. The default delay is one second.

      To set a different delay time:

      • Press and hold in the [F] key for one second to activate the Menu mode.

      • Rotate the MEM/VFO CH knob to select Menu Mode No-087 [VOX DELAY].

      • Rotate the DIAL while saying a brief syllable like "Ah" and listening to the hang time, so as to set the desired delay.

      • Then your adjustments are complete, press and hold in the [F] key for one second to save the new setting and return to normal operation.

      The delay time for return to the receive mode is set independently on CW and voice modes; for CW, use Menu Mode No-024 [CW DELAY] (see next chapter).

      73's

      barton

      WA6BD

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 14 8:01 PM
        Nope... anti-vox is not hang time... hang time for vox is called vox
        delay...

        W6BBL

        Lake" <billgdyoung@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Carl, but it's the "anti-vox" that I'm looking for...
        however,
        > thanks for the effort...
        >
        > Bill, W6BBL

      • Michael Hughey
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 14 10:37 PM
          OK, here is the FT-897D Alignment Procedure pdf, but BE CAREFUL, you might accidentally scramble your radio's brain.  I'm now wondering WHY you would want to fix something that isn't broke.   Michael  KF4DUS

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 14 10:55 PM
            Found this in the groups history, appears that this function is not included, might be worth a call to Yeasu engineering department, been very helpful for me in the past:

            Re: Anti Vox adjustment < Prev Next >
            Posted By:
            bobmayerau
            Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:17 pm |

            Dan,

            As far as I can tell, after playing with my 897D for 3 years and
            857D for 1.5 years , these radios do not have anti-vox. The only
            solution I have found is always use a headset or close talking
            microphone, speak loud and reduce the vox gain (menue 88)to 10.

            Not very elegant, but my old Icom didn't have any vox at all.

            73, Bob VK2BMU

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Michael Hughey <rsq14emt@...> wrote:

            > OK, here is the FT-897D Alignment Procedure pdf, but BE CAREFUL, you might accidentally scramble your radio's brain.  I'm now wondering WHY you would want to fix something that isn't broke.   Michael  KF4DUS

          • Radio_Randy
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 15 8:13 AM
              Bill,

              VOX operation does not always come with an anti-VOX feature. In my commercial radio system, VOX is used to key linked repeaters where anti-VOX would be of no use, whatsoever. My bluetooth motorcycle headsets lack an anti-VOX feature, as well.

              While it may have been easy to build the feature into the analog radios of old, it is entirely possible that adding it to a microprocessor based unit is impractical.

              Good luck on your project.

              73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 15 9:21 AM
                Thanks Randy... I'm pretty sure the anti-vox logic is buried within a
                couple of subroutines in the PLAs...probably nothing I can play with.
                One of the responses here was "why do you want to do that?"... good
                question, but in the true spirit of ham radio, I want to tweak it.
                Yes, old radios did have a knob for anti-vox... they also had knobs
                for "Drive", "load", etc... times have changed, but not the
                intellectual curiosity... :-)

                Bill, W6BBL