Re: OTT Problems

  • Larry Wilson
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4 9:15 PM
      I have seen the same problems Bob.
      Sometimes it works and sometimes not, aggravating.

      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Brown" <bobbrown@f...> wrote:
      > I've had very similar and annoying problems with my AT-897 tuner
      and OTT.
      > I'm too busy with work and family to spend the time necessary to
      try to make
      > it right. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Tired of
      unplugging,
      > reseting, etc. etc.
      >
      > Too bad... Nice idea, but too annoying and I wish that I hadn't
      bought it.

      > Bob KW3F
    • Ed Thierbach
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5 9:26 AM
        Similar problem here. I've done a little debugging, and here's what I
        found.

        The AT-897 interconnect cable shipped with my OTT only has the center
        pin carried through, not the ground connection; thus, I couldn't get it
        to work even when touching the tip of the cable to a suitable radio
        ground. Replacing the cable with a standard audio cable solved that; I
        was then able to get the OTT to fire up reliably by touching the center
        pin of *my* cable to ground.

        If I use a stock Radio Shack button plugged into the OTT, instead of
        connecting it to the AT-897, the OTT works fine every time.

        If I connect the OTT to the AT-897 using my cable (the one that works
        when I ground the tip), then when I press the TUNE button on the
        AT-897, the OTT does not work. (Actually, it clicks on and off VERY
        fast, the same as when I used the bad cable.)

        So, it appears that there could be a problem with my AT-897 not
        providing a good ground to the ground connection of the OTT cable. I
        haven't begun to look into why; been too busy with everything else to
        be able to spend much time with the radio.

        I hope this bit of data helps somehow,
        -Ed-

        On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 12:15 AM, Larry Wilson wrote:

        > I have seen the same problems Bob.
        > Sometimes it works and sometimes not, aggravating.
        >

        > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Brown" <bobbrown@f...> wrote:
        >> I've had very similar and annoying problems with my AT-897 tuner
        > and OTT.
        >> I'm too busy with work and family to spend the time necessary to
        > try to make
        >> it right. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. Tired of
        > unplugging,
        >> reseting, etc. etc.
        >>
        >> Too bad... Nice idea, but too annoying and I wish that I hadn't
        > bought it.
        >>
        >> Bob KW3F

        Ed Thierbach - Manager, IT Services
        University of Michigan College of Pharmacy
        ethierba@... - (734) 763-6001
        "A great big squash just sat upon my hat!" -- Larry the Cucumber
      • k9ztv@socket.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5 3:52 PM
          Ed . . .

          I may be totally wrong, but it's my understanding that the TUNE button
          is only for use with the ATAS-100/120 antennas. The codes are
          proprietary with Yaesu. The TUNE button is not analagous to the tune
          button on the AT-897.

          On the other hand, what do I know!

          73,

          Kent K9ZTV

          Ed Thierbach wrote:

          > Similar problem here. I've done a little debugging, and here's what I
          > found.
          >
          > The AT-897 interconnect cable shipped with my OTT only has the center
          > pin carried through, not the ground connection; thus, I couldn't get it
          > to work even when touching the tip of the cable to a suitable radio
          > ground. Replacing the cable with a standard audio cable solved that; I
          > was then able to get the OTT to fire up reliably by touching the center
          > pin of *my* cable to ground.
          >
          > If I use a stock Radio Shack button plugged into the OTT, instead of
          > connecting it to the AT-897, the OTT works fine every time.
          >
          > If I connect the OTT to the AT-897 using my cable (the one that works
          > when I ground the tip), then when I press the TUNE button on the
          > AT-897, the OTT does not work. (Actually, it clicks on and off VERY
          > fast, the same as when I used the bad cable.)
          >
          > So, it appears that there could be a problem with my AT-897 not
          > providing a good ground to the ground connection of the OTT cable. I
          > haven't begun to look into why; been too busy with everything else to
          > be able to spend much time with the radio.
          >
          > I hope this bit of data helps somehow,
          > -Ed-

        • Ed Thierbach
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8 6:52 AM
            Hi, Kent -- you're right that the TUNE function built into the radio is
            for the ATAS antennas. The button I was referring to was the one on
            the front of the AT-897 itself. Sorry for not being clear about that.

            73,
            -Ed-

            On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 06:52 PM, k9ztv@... wrote:

            > Ed . . .
            >
            > I may be totally wrong, but it's my understanding that the TUNE button
            > is only for use with the ATAS-100/120 antennas. The codes are
            > proprietary with Yaesu. The TUNE button is not analagous to the tune
            > button on the AT-897.

            Ed Thierbach, AB8OJ
            edt@...