Display

  • Wing Commander
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
      Two question, when I turn on this radio while running internal batteries the display lights for about a second and then goess out, how can I keep the light on longer,

      second the display screen in grey, how do I change it to orange or green like I see on the other 897D's?

      James
    • David Bradley
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
        Hi you can keep display lit longer if you look at menu number 44 there are four settings in the menu ,off,auto 1 , auto 2 ,and on ,review and set to which setting you like,mind running on batts will put heavier loads with display lit,torch is always good at night, Menu number 41 will change color to which you prefer,Dave 2E0DTB

        Sent from my iPad

        On 1 Mar 2013, at 16:26, "Wing Commander" <wing_commander@...> wrote:

        > Two question, when I turn on this radio while running internal batteries the display lights for about a second and then goess out, how can I keep the light on longer,
        >
        > second the display screen in grey, how do I change it to orange or green like I see on the other 897D's?
        >
        > James

      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
          READ THE MANUAL!

          Dennis - N8BMB
          On 3/1/2013 11:26, Wing Commander wrote:

          > Two question, when I turn on this radio while running internal
          > batteries the display lights for about a second and then goess out,
          > how can I keep the light on longer,
          >
          > second the display screen in grey, how do I change it to orange or
          > green like I see on the other 897D's?
          >
          > James

        • Charles Scott
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
            James:

            Below is the proceedure for changing display colors out of the PDF
            version of the manual that I have. See if this works for you.

            As far as battery operation is concerned, try setup menu no 044 and set
            to "ON". See if that works for you.

            Chuck

            The LCD color may be changed using the Menu Mode for
            different operating status conditions. For example, the display
            may be configured to show a different color accord-ing
            to ARTS status, by Band, by Memory Group, by VFO/
            Memory/HOME/QMB status, or may be set to indicate different
            colors according to meter indication (i.e. signal
            strength, power output, etc.). Two banks (“1” and “2”) of
            color combination patterns are available for all selections
            except “FIX.”
            1. Press and hold in the [F] button for one second to activate
            the Menu mode.
            2. Rotate the MEM/VFO CH knob to select Menu Mode
            No-041 [DISP COLOR].
            3. Rotate the DIAL to select the desired operating status
            which you wish utilize. The default selections are:
            ARTS: The color changes depending on the “In
            Range” or “Out of Range” status.
            BAND: The color changes according to the Band in
            use.
            FIX: This is a fixed color.
            MEMGRP: The color changes according to the selected
            Memory Group.
            MODE: The color changes according to the selected
            Mode.
            MTR: The color changes according to the S-meter,
            PWR-meter, MOD-meter, SWR-meter, or
            ALC-meter reading.
            VFO: The color changes according to the VFO/
            Memory/HOME/QMB status.
            4. Press the MEM/VFO CH knob momentarily, then rotate
            the DIAL to select the desired color bank to be utilized
            in conjunction with the selection made in step 3.
            5. Press the MEM/VFO CH knob momentarily, then rotate
            the DIAL to select the desired color to be utilized for
            this function, in place of the default color.
            6. When you have completed your selection(s), press and
            hold in the [F] button for one second to exit the Menu
            mode.

            On 3/1/2013 11:26 AM, Wing Commander wrote:
            > Two question, when I turn on this radio while running internal batteries the display lights for about a second and then goess out, how can I keep the light on longer,
            >
            > second the display screen in grey, how do I change it to orange or green like I see on the other 897D's?
            >
            > James

          • James Pratt
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
              Dennis I did, it's not n mine, why do youo think I asked......
              James

              On 3/1/2013 11:26, Wing Commander wrote:

              > Two question, when I turn on this radio while running internal
              > batteries the display lights for about a second and then goess out,
              > how can I keep the light on longer,
              >
              > second the display screen in grey, how do I change it to orange or
              > green like I see on the other 897D's?
              >
              > James

            • Dean Gibson AE7Q
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
                Both are covered on page 53 of the PDF manual, available on the Yaesu
                web site:

                http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=0372FA803B7BBADBF3076C94ACA7A8C5&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

                -- Dean

                On 2013-03-01 12:06, James Pratt wrote:
                > Dennis I did, it's not n mine, why do youo think I asked......
                > James

              • Dennis
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
                  For one, because it most likely is in the manual, just either you
                  overlooked it or it is titled differently than what you are looking
                  for. Also, usually, towards the back of the manual (somewhere), it
                  lists through (or should - mine does) the entire menu system and gives a
                  brief (and I MEAN BRIEF) description of what a specific menu number is
                  for/controlling/adjusting. As well, I would agree that many of the
                  descriptions are very vague and confusing. Remember, too, these are
                  translated from Japanese, so, the translation may seem totally worded
                  wrong sometimes. If you understand how different languages structure
                  their sentences, you would get a better idea of what I mean.

                  Second, because too many operators don't want to have to look for the
                  info in the manual and just figure someone will tell them. NOT that this
                  option is what you chose, but, it happens very often (and WAY too
                  frequently, IMHO).

                  These radios, the 897 and 857, not to mention most newer radios from ANY
                  manufacturer nowadays are increasingly reliant on a "menu system" to
                  control the radio in question. READING THE MANUAL BEFORE YOU PLAY WITH
                  IT is almost a requirement. These radios are not like the older ones
                  where you basically could just plug it in, hook up coax and be on the
                  air in a matter of minutes anymore. You really have to read the manual -
                  cover to cover - before you even think about turning it on anymore.

                  But, if your manual really does not cover that particular menu item,
                  then I apologize. But, I am almost 100% sure it is in there. You just
                  need to look a little closer. Like I said, it most likely is titled
                  (worded) differently than what you think or are looking for.

                  Dennis - N8BMB
                  On 3/1/2013 15:06, James Pratt wrote:

                  > Dennis I did, it's not n mine, why do youo think I asked......
                  > James

                • Dean Gibson AE7Q
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 1, 2013
                    On 2013-03-01 15:34, Dennis wrote:
                    > ... READING THE MANUAL BEFORE YOU PLAY WITH IT is almost a requirement.

                    The problem with many of the manuals, is that the pages are out of order
                    (grin). You pick up the manual and start to read it:

                    1. On page 32, it tells you how to set the "frobish" for by pressing
                    buttons A, Q, and Z in that order.
                    2. On page 67, it tells you how the "frobish" is disabled by buttons D
                    or F.
                    3. On page 132, it tells you that buttons Q and D should be used together.

                    OK, if there is only one of these forward/backward references as you
                    read the manual, and the rest is familiar to you, you can probably
                    figure out how to set the "frobish". However, when there are a dozen or
                    so such features, your mind can't remember them all, and turns to jelly
                    if you are lucky. I say this as someone who breezed through school by
                    just reading the textbooks.

                    So, what to do? Get the manual in PDF format from the manufacturer's
                    web site. Virtually everyone who makes an amateur radio product these
                    days, creates a manual in PDF format. The *really nice thing* about PDF
                    manuals is that they are searchable.

                    For example, in the current question being posed about the display, I
                    searched for "display", and got the pertinent page number in under 30
                    seconds.

                    When you get a new radio, *BROWSE* the manual from beginning to end, to
                    learn what the radio will do, but not to remember HOW to do it. Then,
                    when you need to know HOW to do something, search the PDF. Hint: Don't
                    just stop at the first hit; sometimes the jewels are (as Dennis
                    indicated) at the back of the manual. You'd be surprised at how many
                    times I start my search at the back of the manual and work forward.

                  • Jeff
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 2, 2013
                      Not sure what version of the manual you are looking at but mine only has 72
                      pages and not mention of "frobish" anywhere.
                      Page 32 is about CW operation and no mention of buttons A Q or Z!!!

                      73
                      Jeff G8HUL