Re: [FT897] AT-897 Tuner

  • George Tasson
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
      If you have an anenna connected you should hear it adjusting to the load, a
      rapid clicking of relays.

      George
      KC9UIU

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
        Are you trying to tune VHF possibly?

        Joe Bruno
        W5AUQ
        On Feb 23, 2013 10:42 AM, <embark001@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > The DIN cable is connected. The display on the radio should briefly show a
        > switch from FM to AM as the tuner works. This doesn't happen. I tried a
        > factory radio reset to no avail.
        > David

      • embark999
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
          Yes I am. What made you come to that conclusion?

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
            Tuner will only tune to 54 mhz i think ,Dave

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
              Thank you and I should have read the spec's... All of HF plus 6 meters. It
              pays to read the manual, someday I will learn that.

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                That tuner only does HF. You should use a separate antenna for VHF /
                UHF.

                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                  It was the separate UHF / VHF antenna I hooked up and was trying to tune. I
                  just got lost in the excitement of receiving all the new toys last night and
                  was trying everything.
                  HF antenna should be up tomorrow and I'll try tuning that. :)

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                    Sorry replied with my phone. When you said it went from FM to AM I picked
                    up that you might have been doing VHF. Not much FM on HF, it’s there but
                    not much.

                    Since we are hams we tend to NOT read instructions. I am guilty of that
                    myself. Doesn’t help sometimes, but it can cause an expensive repair when
                    doing things wrong.

                    73’

                    Joe Bruno
                    Guadalupe County ARES Emergency Coordinator
                    W5AUQ
                    210-363-9500

                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                      Thanks again for the inputs, That was intuitive of you, Joe, to pick up on the FM.

                      Thank you and I should have read the spec's... All of HF plus 6 meters. It
                      pays to read the manual, someday I will learn that.

                      Tuner will only tune to 54 mhz i think ,Dave

                      On 23 February 2013 18:30, mailto:embark001%40gmail.com
                      > wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Yes I am. What made you come to that conclusion?

                    • david taylor
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                        I believe you have The accessory cable backwards. swap the red and black ends.

                        Dave Taylor
                        Sent from my iPhone
                      • joe markey
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                          not sure if you can press "tune" from the radio with the AT897/  You may just have to push the button on the tuner once and the radio should go into transmit and begin tuning cycle.

                          Joe Markey, AJ4QM
                          District Emergency Coordinator EMA 4 - SC
                          Volunteer Examiner, ARRLVEC
                          South Carolina Agency MARS Operator

                          ________________________________
                          Just setting up the 897D and AT-897 tuner. When pushing tune button (1 second), led lites, then nothing seems to happen. ??? Yes menus are, 001=ON, 019=4800 and 20=CAT. What should I be seeing?

                        • joe markey

                            That's the problem. Nothing. I see a little "Man" running on the screen
                            (lower right), but he keeps running.

                            If you press and hold the button until the light turns both on and then
                            off, what happens?

                            Dean KB7QDI

                            On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM, embark999 embark001@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Just setting up the 897D and AT-897 tuner. When pushing tune button (1
                            > second), led lites, then nothing seems to happen. ??? Yes menus are,
                            > 001=ON, 019=4800 and 20=CAT. What should I be seeing?

                          • joe markey

                              Hi do you have ft897 interface cable from tuner to your FT897,din cables i
                              think ,when you press tune should here relays clicking
                              and show SWR reading on display ,if you have no interface cable ,you can
                              tune manually ,download at897 plus from LDG ,hope this is of some help,73
                              2E0DTB Dave
                              On 23 February 2013 14:42, embark999 embark001@...> wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > Just setting up the 897D and AT-897 tuner. When pushing tune button (1
                              > second), led lites, then nothing seems to happen. ??? Yes menus are,
                              > 001=ON, 019=4800 and 20=CAT. What should I be seeing?

                            • kg2bx
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                                That was true for the old LDG AT-897. The newer AT-897 Plus (which I assume he is using since Inis new) connects to the CAT port on the back and uses CAT commands to change mode and institute a transmit for tuning.

                                Dave
                                KG2BX

                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 24, 2013
                                  The type of connection you describe was for the original LDG AT-897. The LDG-897 Plus (which I assume this is since its new) uses the CAT port on the radio to initiate a frequency change and transmit cycle.