AT-897 Tuner

  • embark999
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
      Just setting up the 897D and AT-897 tuner. When pushing tune button (1 second), led lites, then nothing seems to happen. ??? Yes menus are, 001=ON, 019=4800 and 20=CAT. What should I be seeing?
    • George Tasson
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
        If you have an anenna connected you should hear it adjusting to the load, a
        rapid clicking of relays.

        George
        KC9UIU

        ________________________________
        Just setting up the 897D and AT-897 tuner. When pushing tune button (1 second),
        led lites, then nothing seems to happen. ??? Yes menus are, 001=ON, 019=4800 and
        20=CAT. What should I be seeing?

      • Dean Hoover
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
          If you press and hold the button until the light turns both on and then
          off, what happens?

          Dean KB7QDI

          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
            That's the problem. Nothing. I see a little "Man" running on the screen
            (lower right), but he keeps running.

            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
              The running man is just the fast/slow icon for tuning. Quick press of the
              power button will turn that off.

              As far as the AT-897 goes, I would call LDG and let them know what is going
              on. The light means you're getting power, so I would suspect it's
              something more than just that.

              Dean KB7QDI

              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                Thank you for the inputs.

                The running man is just the fast/slow icon for tuning. Quick press of the
                power button will turn that off.

                As far as the AT-897 goes, I would call LDG and let them know what is going
                on. The light means you're getting power, so I would suspect it's
                something more than just that.

                Dean KB7QDI

                On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 9:04 AM, <embark001@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > That's the problem. Nothing. I see a little "Man" running on the screen
                > (lower right), but he keeps running.

              • bradley david
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                  Hi do you have ft897 interface cable from tuner to your FT897,din cables i
                  think ,when you press tune should here relays clicking
                  and show SWR reading on display ,if you have no interface cable ,you can
                  tune manually ,download at897 plus from LDG ,hope this is of some help,73
                  2E0DTB Dave

                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                    The DIN cable is connected. The display on the radio should briefly show a
                    switch from FM to AM as the tuner works. This doesn't happen. I tried a
                    factory radio reset to no avail.

                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                      Hi cable should be connected to ACC socket not data socket,and radio
                      socket on tuner at897,sorry to go on but mine is connected that way,could
                      be faulty,get in touch with LDG,hope this helps,Dave

                      On 23 February 2013 16:42, <embark001@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > The DIN cable is connected. The display on the radio should briefly show a
                      > switch from FM to AM as the tuner works. This doesn't happen. I tried a
                      > factory radio reset to no avail.
                      > David

                    • Joe Bruno
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                        Are you trying to tune VHF possibly?

                        Joe Bruno
                        W5AUQ

                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                          Yes I am. What made you come to that conclusion?

                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                            Tuner will only tune to 54 mhz i think ,Dave

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                              Thank you and I should have read the spec's... All of HF plus 6 meters. It
                              pays to read the manual, someday I will learn that.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                                That tuner only does HF. You should use a separate antenna for VHF /
                                UHF.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                                  It was the separate UHF / VHF antenna I hooked up and was trying to tune. I
                                  just got lost in the excitement of receiving all the new toys last night and
                                  was trying everything.
                                  HF antenna should be up tomorrow and I'll try tuning that. :)

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                                    Sorry replied with my phone. When you said it went from FM to AM I picked
                                    up that you might have been doing VHF. Not much FM on HF, it’s there but
                                    not much.

                                    Since we are hams we tend to NOT read instructions. I am guilty of that
                                    myself. Doesn’t help sometimes, but it can cause an expensive repair when
                                    doing things wrong.

                                    73’

                                    Joe Bruno
                                    Guadalupe County ARES Emergency Coordinator
                                    W5AUQ
                                    210-363-9500

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                                      Thanks again for the inputs, That was intuitive of you, Joe, to pick up on the FM.

                                      Thank you and I should have read the spec's... All of HF plus 6 meters. It
                                      pays to read the manual, someday I will learn that.

                                      Tuner will only tune to 54 mhz i think ,Dave

                                      On 23 February 2013 18:30, mailto:embark001%40gmail.com
                                      > wrote:

                                      > **
                                      >

                                      > Yes I am. What made you come to that conclusion?

                                    • david taylor
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                                        I believe you have The accessory cable backwards. swap the red and black ends.

                                        Dave Taylor
                                        Sent from my iPhone
                                      • joe markey
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                                          not sure if you can press "tune" from the radio with the AT897/  You may just have to push the button on the tuner once and the radio should go into transmit and begin tuning cycle.

                                          Joe Markey, AJ4QM
                                          District Emergency Coordinator EMA 4 - SC
                                          Volunteer Examiner, ARRLVEC
                                          South Carolina Agency MARS Operator

                                          ________________________________
                                          Just setting up the 897D and AT-897 tuner. When pushing tune button (1 second), led lites, then nothing seems to happen. ??? Yes menus are, 001=ON, 019=4800 and 20=CAT. What should I be seeing?

                                        • joe markey

                                            That's the problem. Nothing. I see a little "Man" running on the screen
                                            (lower right), but he keeps running.

                                            If you press and hold the button until the light turns both on and then
                                            off, what happens?

                                            Dean KB7QDI

                                            On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 8:42 AM, embark999 embark001@...> wrote:

                                            > **
                                            >

                                            > Just setting up the 897D and AT-897 tuner. When pushing tune button (1
                                            > second), led lites, then nothing seems to happen. ??? Yes menus are,
                                            > 001=ON, 019=4800 and 20=CAT. What should I be seeing?

                                          • joe markey

                                              Hi do you have ft897 interface cable from tuner to your FT897,din cables i
                                              think ,when you press tune should here relays clicking
                                              and show SWR reading on display ,if you have no interface cable ,you can
                                              tune manually ,download at897 plus from LDG ,hope this is of some help,73
                                              2E0DTB Dave
                                              On 23 February 2013 14:42, embark999 embark001@...> wrote:

                                              > **
                                              >

                                              > Just setting up the 897D and AT-897 tuner. When pushing tune button (1
                                              > second), led lites, then nothing seems to happen. ??? Yes menus are,
                                              > 001=ON, 019=4800 and 20=CAT. What should I be seeing?

                                            • kg2bx
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 23, 2013
                                                That was true for the old LDG AT-897. The newer AT-897 Plus (which I assume he is using since Inis new) connects to the CAT port on the back and uses CAT commands to change mode and institute a transmit for tuning.

                                                Dave
                                                KG2BX

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 24, 2013
                                                  The type of connection you describe was for the original LDG AT-897. The LDG-897 Plus (which I assume this is since its new) uses the CAT port on the radio to initiate a frequency change and transmit cycle.