Re: Tuner/Atas

  • walscobry
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 11, 2013
      May not be your problem, but I have noticed that the ATAS likes GROUNDing, GROUNDing and more GROUNDing to work correctly. Something to check anyway.

      Good Luck!

      Bryan
      K4RKR
    • Rama Ramazzot
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 11, 2013
        I have a colleague ATAS 120 and use the Yaesu FT897D, on the balcony of Apt. 11Andar. Would I do as a good grounding? I can connect a cable to the grounding of the shower stall?Hug 73 "

        E-mail: ramazzot2009@...
        Blog:http://qsldobrasil.blogspot.com.br/
        Zello:Joao Carlos NSN
        P Antes de imprimir pense em seu compromisso com o MEIO AMBIENTE.

        To: FT897@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 11, 2013
          Poor grounding of the Atas-120a antenna is the cause of the most problems
          I've mounted my Atas on the roof of a shack on top of the appartmentbuilding i live in
          I made a console, mount it on the roof and connect the console with some screws and electric conductive paste in between to the sinking eaves
          Without any problem i can tune on all bands from 6 until 40 meters. For 6, 2 and 70cm i use the additional radials

          You can find my solution on www.pa0gtb.net/atas.html

          Unfortunaly the text is in Dutch but the pictures will tell the story.

          73' de Cor, PA0GTB

          Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad
          Met vriendelijke groet,

          Cor Struyk

          Op 11 feb. 2013 om 22:29 heeft Rama Ramazzot <ramazzot2009@...> het volgende geschreven:

          > I have a colleague ATAS 120 and use the Yaesu FT897D, on the balcony of Apt. 11Andar. Would I do as a good grounding? I can connect a cable to the grounding of the shower stall?Hug 73 "
          >
          > E-mail: ramazzot2009@...
          > Blog:http://qsldobrasil.blogspot.com.br/
          > Zello:Joao Carlos NSN
          > P Antes de imprimir pense em seu compromisso com o MEIO AMBIENTE.
          >

          > To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
          > From: walscobry@...
          > Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 18:03:07 +0000
          > Subject: [FT897] Re: Tuner/Atas
          >

          > May not be your problem, but I have noticed that the ATAS likes GROUNDing, GROUNDing and more GROUNDing to work correctly. Something to check anyway.
          >
          > Good Luck!
          >
          > Bryan
          > K4RKR

        • we8st
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 11, 2013
            Hi Dave,

            I'm not sure if I'm following you with the Atas display. But if you're using the Atas 120A antenna, all you should have to do is turn on the ATAS feature in the menu. Can't remember which menu # it is but it's towards the end and you might have to turn on the extended menu in the beginning of menu mode to get to it. But when you turn on ATAS in the menu, you have the option to turn ATAS for HF only, HF+6m, or ALL. Just turn it to the one you want, then exit menu mode. You should only have to hook up the ATAS antenna strait into the coax connection on the back of the radio. Don't hook it up through a tuner. You shouldn't be needing a tuner for this antenna to begin with. That would kinda defeat the purpose of it.

            Then on the regular operating screen, turn your multi function (MF) options to the K menu. The TUNE option should show up for the A button. Push and release it once and INIT should appear below your voltage reading on the screen. In a minute or two it should beep again and read ATAS under the voltage reading. At this point the radio recognizes and is communicating with it. If it beeps again after a while and nothing shows up under the voltage, something's wrong somewhere. It's not detecting the antenna for some reason, unless something else is wrong somewhere inside the radio or something.

            But assuming ATAS shows up under the voltage, you can then push and hold the TUNE button again (A button). Hold it until the radio clicks into TX mode and at this point the radio will tune the ATAS antenna. It'll extend or contract the antenna until the SWR is low and then click off. It'll flash HSWR under the voltage reading while it's tuning. That's normal. But should click off TX and back into RX once the optimum SWR is reached. Then you're ready to operate. If it keeps going trying to find the best SWR for a few minutes and doesn't click off, it could be that you don't have a good enough ground/ counterpoise for it to have a decent SWR.

            Hope this helps! Sorry it was so long.

            Chris - WE8ST
          • dave.manary
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2013
              Please allow me to clarify my problem. I had an HF6V Butternut six band vertical that the wind broke in half. I had the FC30 automatic antenna tuner connected for that antenna. I removed the FC30 tuner completely from the radio. I went into the FT897 programming and reset the radio to use the Atas. When I try to turn on the Atas feature in the radio it will not turn on. I then out of frustration purchased an Alpha-Delta wire antenna, switched back to the FC30, and an now back on the air.with no problems. I now believe that the problem is in the radio.

              Dave
              VE3NKN
            • wa9fvp
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2013
                I just repaired an 897 with an ATLAS problem. It was a leaky diode in the directional coupler where the SWR detection circuitry always indicated a high SWR.

                After analyzing the ATLAS control circuitry, I found that to reverse the antenna tuning direction and bring it to a "home" or start position, it outputs 8 volts DC to the antenna connector. Then to tune the antenna in the forward direction, it outputs 13.8 volts until a 1 to 1 SWR is achieved. Then the DC voltage is turned off. I hope this helps.

                Jack WA9FVP
                Willco Electronics.

                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "dave.manary" wrote:

                > I have had my FT897D almost since it was introduced. I have been extremely pleased with it. Recently my antenna was broken in half by this winter's extreme winds.
              • Rama Ramazzot

                  From: willcoele@...
                  Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:37:24 +0000

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 12, 2013
                    Thanks for the tip friend I saw the mounting site that gave you the link. But I can not put the roof have to do in the balcony of the apartment understood. I do not have ATBK100 have to do with out you know the steps? Hugs 73 "

                    CC: ft897@yahoogroups.com
                    To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
                    From: cor.struyk@...
                    Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 23:52:46 +0100