Re: [FT897] Pelican Case for the FT-897D

  • Mark Pilant
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
      Hi Brian.

      Here is the setup I used for my go-box:

      http://www.n1vqw.net/go-box/

      Everything is in a Pelican box.

      I hope this helps.

      73

      - Mark N1VQW
    • J C
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 2013
        I use a Pelican case to transport my FT-897D.  I **think** it's the 1600 model?  May be mistaken.  You could probably fit the FT897D into other case sizes, but a lot depends on what else you have in your case.

        My setup includes the FC-40 "real" antenna tuner; to tune random wires in typical emergency/field/travel/stealth setups; also rolls of antenna/counterpoise wire, mike, headset, straight and paddle mini-keys; VHF/UHF Larsen mag mount antenna, coax cables, chargers for the internal batteries.

        I ordered my case with "Pick-and-Pluck" foam.  If you are unsure of how you want to set up the foam lining in your case, or anticipate changes after a few test runs (trips, field ops, etc) then buy a second set of foam liners for your case.   Though the Pelican foam liners seem dense, I allowed about 1.5 to 2 inches between the heaviest pieces of equipment and the outsides of the case.  Don't forget to isolate or compartmentalize the foam on the inside of the case, so the R/T won't move and crush the paddle keyer (for example).

        73
        W6CJ

      • rschaffrath
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 11, 2013
          I use a Pelican 1500 case but I do not have an attached tuner. It does accommodate an attached FP-30B and has room for keeping the power cord and MH-59A8J microphone.

          Robert, N2JTX

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "kd2ctj" wrote:

          > Hello all,
          > New here, and fairly new to Ham Radio.
          > I recently purchased an FT-897D and a SuperAntennas MP-1.
          > I am looking forward to portable use of the rig, but need to transport it safely.
          > I have Pelican cases for some smaller equipment, but I was wondering if anyone can suggest a size that will hold the FT-897D with LDG antenna tuner attached, microphone, MP-1 antenna (disassembled of course) and perhaps some small accessories or manuals.
          > Any advice is appreciated.
          >
          > 73,
          > Brian, KD2CTJ

        • Bob
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 11, 2013
            Good job on your Go-Box.

            Robert Sheppard
            Lake St. Louis, MO. USA
            NØUTD

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 15, 2013
              Thanks for the feedback everyone! Mark, NIVQW, that is some set-up you have there! Well thought out.

              Brian, KD2CTJ