FT-897D and AEA PK-232MBX Connection and Configuration Help

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
      I am trying to get an AEA PK-232MBX to work with my FT-897D. I bought a custom cable that connects the 232 to the 897 via the data port. It is my understanding that I only need to make this one connection, is that correct?

      I'm not quite sure that I have it all up and running correctly, or how to even check. The connection between the PC and 232 seem to be OK, but I'm not sure about the connection between the 897 and 232. Other than being in the DIG mode (which I know that I need to customize based on what I want to do: RTTY, PSK31, or user defined, USB or LSB) are there any other radio settings I need to change, turn off, or turn on? I've tried to use the 232 with Radio Operations Center (ROC) Digital Desktop for Pactor and RMS Express for Pactor Winlink 2000. ROC starts up with no issues and appears to be receiving data from the 232 but I'm not sure how to tell if it is or not. RMS Express gives me errors such as "Unable to enter HOST mode" and "Pactor TNC not found or failed to initialize" so I'm not sure what the deal is there.

      Any help is appreciated.

      73,
      Chris AK4SK
    • Hank Lambert
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2013
        Turn on the radio and PK-232. If you know that the PK-232 is talking to your
        computer, hit the enter key a few times on the terminal program. Then type
        MYCALL and see if it returns any value. If it does, you are communicating
        with the PK-232.

        Next type CAL and then enter. This puts the PK-232 into calibration mode.
        Press the "K" key on the keyboard. If the transmitter keys, then the PK-232
        and FT-897D are communicating correctly. Hit the "K" key again to unkey the
        transmitter and then the "Q" key to quit calibration mode.

        This will tell you if all three devices are communicating correctly.

        Hope this helps.

        73,

        Hank Lambert

        KB4MTO/TA5ZC

        hank@...

        kb4mto@...

        www.hanklambert.com

        PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
          Hi Chris,

          I used my PK-232MBX with my FT-950 on a recent RTTY contest. Since the 950 and 897D use the same type of data port, your hookup should work fine. On thing you might watch is the audio signal level from the 897D, which I believe may be lower than that of the 950 and is not adjustable.

          As for the operating software, I can't be of much help as I'm not familiar with those particular programs, though I do know hams that have used their PK232s for running WinLink. I did use WriteLog contesting software, which controlled the 232, with no trouble, on my FT-950. If I wanted to use Pactor or one of the other modes, I'm stuck with the old DOS programs because I'm too cheap to buy the Windows compatible stuff.

          Hopefully, there is someone out there that can answer your software questions.

          73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" wrote:

          > I am trying to get an AEA PK-232MBX to work with my FT-897D. I bought a custom cable that connects the 232 to the 897 via the data port. It is my understanding that I only need to make this one connection, is that correct?
          >
          > I'm not quite sure that I have it all up and running correctly, or how to even check. The connection between the PC and 232 seem to be OK, but I'm not sure about the connection between the 897 and 232. Other than being in the DIG mode (which I know that I need to customize based on what I want to do: RTTY, PSK31, or user defined, USB or LSB) are there any other radio settings I need to change, turn off, or turn on? I've tried to use the 232 with Radio Operations Center (ROC) Digital Desktop for Pactor and RMS Express for Pactor Winlink 2000. ROC starts up with no issues and appears to be receiving data from the 232 but I'm not sure how to tell if it is or not. RMS Express gives me errors such as "Unable to enter HOST mode" and "Pactor TNC not found or failed to initialize" so I'm not sure what the deal is there.
          >
          > Any help is appreciated.
          >
          > 73,
          > Chris AK4SK

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2013
            Thanks Randy. I have read elsewhere that the audio signal level from the data port is low, how do I deal with that? Do I adjust the threshold level higher to compensate?

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Radio_Randy" wrote:

            > Hi Chris,
            >
            > I used my PK-232MBX with my FT-950 on a recent RTTY contest. Since the 950 and 897D use the same type of data port, your hookup should work fine. On thing you might watch is the audio signal level from the 897D, which I believe may be lower than that of the 950 and is not adjustable.
            >
            > As for the operating software, I can't be of much help as I'm not familiar with those particular programs, though I do know hams that have used their PK232s for running WinLink. I did use WriteLog contesting software, which controlled the 232, with no trouble, on my FT-950. If I wanted to use Pactor or one of the other modes, I'm stuck with the old DOS programs because I'm too cheap to buy the Windows compatible stuff.
            >
            > Hopefully, there is someone out there that can answer your software questions.
            >
            > 73, Radio Randy N7CKJ
            >
            > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" wrote:
            > >
            > > I am trying to get an AEA PK-232MBX to work with my FT-897D. I bought a custom cable that connects the 232 to the 897 via the data port. It is my understanding that I only need to make this one connection, is that correct?
            > >
            > > I'm not quite sure that I have it all up and running correctly, or how to even check. The connection between the PC and 232 seem to be OK, but I'm not sure about the connection between the 897 and 232. Other than being in the DIG mode (which I know that I need to customize based on what I want to do: RTTY, PSK31, or user defined, USB or LSB) are there any other radio settings I need to change, turn off, or turn on? I've tried to use the 232 with Radio Operations Center (ROC) Digital Desktop for Pactor and RMS Express for Pactor Winlink 2000. ROC starts up with no issues and appears to be receiving data from the 232 but I'm not sure how to tell if it is or not. RMS Express gives me errors such as "Unable to enter HOST mode" and "Pactor TNC not found or failed to initialize" so I'm not sure what the deal is there.
            > >
            > > Any help is appreciated.
            > >
            > > 73,
            > > Chris AK4SK

          • Radio_Randy
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 19, 2013
              Hi Chris,

              Sorry about never getting back on this, but I haven't yet tested the 897 with the PK-232 though I would imagine the threshold adjustment will do what you want.

              Let us know if you've had any luck with your project.

              Thanks and 73,

              Radio Randy N7CKJ