It Reset all by itself???

  • bartenderjim
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013
      Hi to the group,
      I have had my 897D for just over a year. It has been working really well up till now. I was using it the other night and when I attempted to key up the microphone on 14.188 the radio just turned it self off. Just before I keyed the microphone I had used the AT-897 tuner and it did just fine. When I powered the radio back on all the memories were gone.

      Fortunately I had everything saved on the computer. I reloaded everything and went on using the radio and everything was fine. No more issues. I even attempted to make the problem reappear and it did not.

      I am running a G5RV,jr in an inverted V formation with the center at 20'. This has never been a problem in the past. I did not get any high SWR readings, no bad indications on the radio or meter.I have not done any mods to the radio. It is as stock as the day I got it from HRO.

      This is just more of a curiosity question than anything else.

      Has anyone had this happen to their radio? Would be interested to hear anyone else's experience with this.
      Thanks for your time.
      James M.
      KJ6FXA
    • George Tasson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 27, 2013
        Probably a static charge form you to the radio.

        George
        KC9UIU

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
          other than  hardware problems, sounds like your power supply is weak, put a test load (and scope if available) on your supply and make sure it is at spec under load. the radio may power up ok, but when you try to load up the transmitter it will shutdown if the supply is defective and can't handle it. use dummy load, without tuner. then add tuner. also try a hard reset. if these fail, its the radio. hope everything is ok.

          KE5UBJ

        • Jason M0NJA
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
            I had this it was rf getting into cat lead that was not plugged into the computer, kept resetting ie rebooting the radio on high power.

            Sent from Jason's iPad

            On 28 Jan 2013, at 17:03, Larry Knox <tech77usa@...> wrote:

            > other than hardware problems, sounds like your power supply is weak, put a test load (and scope if available) on your supply and make sure it is at spec under load. the radio may power up ok, but when you try to load up the transmitter it will shutdown if the supply is defective and can't handle it. use dummy load, without tuner. then add tuner. also try a hard reset. if these fail, its the radio. hope everything is ok.
            >
            > KE5UBJ

          • Radio_Randy
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
              Maybe static discharge when you grabbed the mike.

              73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "bartenderjim" wrote:

              > Hi to the group,
              > I have had my 897D for just over a year. It has been working really well up till now. I was using it the other night and when I attempted to key up the microphone on 14.188 the radio just turned it self off. Just before I keyed the microphone I had used the AT-897 tuner and it did just fine. When I powered the radio back on all the memories were gone.
              >
              > Fortunately I had everything saved on the computer. I reloaded everything and went on using the radio and everything was fine. No more issues. I even attempted to make the problem reappear and it did not.
              >
              > I am running a G5RV,jr in an inverted V formation with the center at 20'. This has never been a problem in the past. I did not get any high SWR readings, no bad indications on the radio or meter.I have not done any mods to the radio. It is as stock as the day I got it from HRO.
              >
              > This is just more of a curiosity question than anything else.
              >
              > Has anyone had this happen to their radio? Would be interested to hear anyone else's experience with this.
              > Thanks for your time.
              > James M.
              > KJ6FXA

            • Dan Page
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 28, 2013
                Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™ II Skyrocket™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

              • bartenderjim
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
                  BAM!!!!! Jason you win the grand prize of an all expense paid to the town you live in...(Just a little humor for my morning)....that is exactly what it was...never even thought that the cable was unplugged would have anything to do with it...but since I pugged it back in nothing has reoccurred...so now I know...
                  Thanks to al the group for all the suggestions. Now, with all your guys' ideas I have a list of things to check if this reoccurs.
                  James M.
                  KJ6FXA

                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jason M0NJA wrote:

                  > I had this it was rf getting into cat lead that was not plugged into the computer, kept resetting ie rebooting the radio on high power.
                  >
                  > Sent from Jason's iPad
                  >
                  > On 28 Jan 2013, at 17:03, Larry Knox wrote:
                  >
                  > > other than hardware problems, sounds like your power supply is weak, put a test load (and scope if available) on your supply and make sure it is at spec under load. the radio may power up ok, but when you try to load up the transmitter it will shutdown if the supply is defective and can't handle it. use dummy load, without tuner. then add tuner. also try a hard reset. if these fail, its the radio. hope everything is ok.
                  > >
                  > > KE5UBJ

                • Charles Scott
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 31, 2013
                    James:

                    So, you now know that it's a stray RF problem, but have you really fixed
                    the problem or simply avoided the symptoms for now? That you don't have
                    the problem doesn't mean that it won't return again the next time you
                    add something, move some equipment, or transmit on a different frequency.

                    You might want to consider why you have RF getting onto the cabling of
                    your equipment. Are you simply in the near-field of your antenna and can
                    expect RF to couple onto conductors in your station? Is there something
                    about your antenna, feeds to them, or other grounding or cabling that's
                    causing RF to reach your equipment? The resolutions for both of those
                    problems may be very different.

                    Some people do just fine squashing symptoms of problems. Others keep
                    revisiting the problem time after time. The best approach is to see if
                    you can identify and resolve the problem, or at least know what the
                    problem is.

                    Chuck - N8DNX

                    On 1/31/2013 11:22 AM, bartenderjim wrote:
                    > BAM!!!!! Jason you win the grand prize of an all expense paid to the town you live in...(Just a little humor for my morning)....that is exactly what it was...never even thought that the cable was unplugged would have anything to do with it...but since I pugged it back in nothing has reoccurred...so now I know...
                    > Thanks to al the group for all the suggestions. Now, with all your guys' ideas I have a list of things to check if this reoccurs.
                    > James M.
                    > KJ6FXA

                  • n3ojb
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 18, 2013

                      This just happened to me last night with a 1 week old radio.. Spent hours programming it and one key of the mic on hi power wiped it clean.. I could'a cried..  I was thinking about returning it but since I read this, i think the problem is an RF issue with a homebrew G5RV antenna and balun hanging right behind the radio thru the window.. I need to clean things up in the shack and get the software working so I can back it up..