Receive Audio Static

  • W1JWN
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 27, 2013
      I have a yaesu 897 that went thru my house fire in 2007. I had the radio cleaned and it has worked perfect since 2007. Suddenly the audio has become fuzzy, and has static.

      I have checked all the connections and I switched antennas. I do have one button that has never worked since the fire. That is the back mode button. I do not want to attempt a reset because this button is what is used for ADMS software to program the radio.

      And I did try to use headphones to see if it was just the speaker. Same noise on the headphones.

      Has anyone come across this problem, and if so how was it fixed?

      John W1JWN
    • g0uknguy
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
        Hi John,

        It sounds like the AM filter failing.
        This causes static and crahes on all modes.
        Check whether the noise is still there with no antenna.
        Have a look in the files section for the detail.
        It is a common problem and some would say a design issue that causes them to fail.

        73
        Guy
        G0UKN

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "W1JWN" wrote:

        > I have a yaesu 897 that went thru my house fire in 2007. I had the radio cleaned and it has worked perfect since 2007. Suddenly the audio has become fuzzy, and has static.
        >
        > I have checked all the connections and I switched antennas. I do have one button that has never worked since the fire. That is the back mode button. I do not want to attempt a reset because this button is what is used for ADMS software to program the radio.
        >
        > And I did try to use headphones to see if it was just the speaker. Same noise on the headphones.
        >
        > Has anyone come across this problem, and if so how was it fixed?
        >
        > John W1JWN

      • daleclift
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "W1JWN" wrote:

          > I have a yaesu 897 that went thru my house fire in 2007. I had the radio cleaned and it has worked perfect since 2007. Suddenly the audio has become fuzzy, and has static.
          >
          > I have checked all the connections and I switched antennas. I do have one button that has never worked since the fire. That is the back mode button. I do not want to attempt a reset because this button is what is used for ADMS software to program the radio.
          >
          > And I did try to use headphones to see if it was just the speaker. Same noise on the headphones.
          >
          > Has anyone come across this problem, and if so how was it fixed?
          >
          > John W1JWN

          I had my 897 act the same way a while back. Low audio output and sounded like my speaker was blown out. Tried other speakers and headphones. Nothing worked. Did a reset and all was perfect again, and has been for quite a while. Darned if I know what caused it as it has never been in any adverse conditions, but the reset did the job.

          Dale
          KJ4LCM

        • David Zahler
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
            John,

            Without the introduction of fire into the mix, it sounds like your ceramic if filter has bought the farm, there are many references to this issue elsewhere in the group.

            That being said, because of the fire, I wouldn't rule anything out. Smoke, n general, is a nasty corrosive concoction, put this into the context of the high heat associated with a fire, the smoke gets driven, under pressure, into everything. I can speak from experience, I had a minor house fire contained to the basement, but the smoke got though out the house. The end result is that all electronics (as well as soft goods like sofas and mattresses) were deemed to be beyond economical repair.

            David, w2dz

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "W1JWN" wrote:

            > I have a yaesu 897 that went thru my house fire in 2007. I had the radio cleaned and it has worked perfect since 2007. Suddenly the audio has become fuzzy, and has static.
            >
            > I have checked all the connections and I switched antennas. I do have one button that has never worked since the fire. That is the back mode button. I do not want to attempt a reset because this button is what is used for ADMS software to program the radio.
            >
            > And I did try to use headphones to see if it was just the speaker. Same noise on the headphones.
            >
            > Has anyone come across this problem, and if so how was it fixed?
            >
            > John W1JWN

          • John Noble
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
              David, I had the radio cleaned by a ham who owns a business where they clean pc boards and electronic parts. Your right, fire gets everything :(

              I hope I can tackle the ceramic filter replacement directions that Henry sent me. Never opened up a radio B4...

              This is W1JWN  -  John from Chester, Mass 01011

              ________________________________
              Without the introduction of fire into the mix, it sounds like your ceramic if filter has bought the farm, there are many references to this issue elsewhere in the group.

              That being said, because of the fire, I wouldn't rule anything out. Smoke, n general, is a nasty corrosive concoction, put this into the context of the high heat associated with a fire, the smoke gets driven, under pressure, into everything. I can speak from experience, I had a minor house fire contained to the basement, but the smoke got though out the house. The end result is that all electronics (as well as soft goods like sofas and mattresses) were deemed to be beyond economical repair.

              David, w2dz

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "W1JWN" wrote:

              > I have a yaesu 897 that went thru my house fire in 2007. I had the radio cleaned and it has worked perfect since 2007. Suddenly the audio has become fuzzy, and has static.
              >
              > I have checked all the connections and I switched antennas. I do have one button that has never worked since the fire. That is the back mode button. I do not want to attempt a reset because this button is what is used for ADMS software to program the radio.
              >
              > And I did try to use headphones to see if it was just the speaker. Same noise on the headphones.
              >
              > Has anyone come across this problem, and if so how was it fixed?
              >
              > John W1JWN

            • John Noble
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 28, 2013
                Dale,

                I would like to do the reset but the back mode button is not working so my ADMS software will not program the radio again.....

                This is W1JWN  -  John from Chester, Mass 01011

                ________________________________
                > I have a yaesu 897 that went thru my house fire in 2007. I had the radio cleaned and it has worked perfect since 2007. Suddenly the audio has become fuzzy, and has static.
                >
                > I have checked all the connections and I switched antennas. I do have one button that has never worked since the fire. That is the back mode button. I do not want to attempt a reset because this button is what is used for ADMS software to program the radio.
                >
                > And I did try to use headphones to see if it was just the speaker. Same noise on the headphones.
                >
                > Has anyone come across this problem, and if so how was it fixed?
                >
                > John W1JWN

                I had my 897 act the same way a while back. Low audio output and sounded like my speaker was blown out. Tried other speakers and headphones. Nothing worked. Did a reset and all was perfect again, and has been for quite a while. Darned if I know what caused it as it has never been in any adverse conditions, but the reset did the job.

                Dale
                KJ4LCM

              • n2mu_1
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
                  John
                  Silly question. But, did you inadvertently turn off your AGC in the menu function MF L?
                  Hank N2MU ...-.- ..

                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "daleclift" wrote:

                  > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "W1JWN" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have a yaesu 897 that went thru my house fire in 2007. I had the radio cleaned and it has worked perfect since 2007. Suddenly the audio has become fuzzy, and has static.
                  > >
                  > > I have checked all the connections and I switched antennas. I do have one button that has never worked since the fire. That is the back mode button. I do not want to attempt a reset because this button is what is used for ADMS software to program the radio.
                  > >
                  > > And I did try to use headphones to see if it was just the speaker. Same noise on the headphones.
                  > >
                  > > Has anyone come across this problem, and if so how was it fixed?
                  > >
                  > > John W1JWN
                  >
                  > I had my 897 act the same way a while back. Low audio output and sounded like my speaker was blown out. Tried other speakers and headphones. Nothing worked. Did a reset and all was perfect again, and has been for quite a while. Darned if I know what caused it as it has never been in any adverse conditions, but the reset did the job.
                  >
                  > Dale
                  > KJ4LCM

                • John Noble
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 29, 2013
                    Hi Hank,

                    I did check that after reading your email. It was on. Thanks for the tip. I called several shops today. And they are all backed up. So I am going to send the rig to Yaesu. They told me a 3 week turn around.

                    Thanks for responding :) John W1JWN

                    This is W1JWN  -  John from Chester, Mass 01011

                    ________________________________
                    Silly question. But, did you inadvertently turn off your AGC in the menu function MF L?
                    Hank N2MU ...-.- ..

                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "daleclift" wrote:

                    > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "W1JWN" wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have a yaesu 897 that went thru my house fire in 2007. I had the radio cleaned and it has worked perfect since 2007. Suddenly the audio has become fuzzy, and has static.
                    > >
                    > > I have checked all the connections and I switched antennas. I do have one button that has never worked since the fire. That is the back mode button. I do not want to attempt a reset because this button is what is used for ADMS software to program the radio.
                    > >
                    > > And I did try to use headphones to see if it was just the speaker. Same noise on the headphones.
                    > >
                    > > Has anyone come across this problem, and if so how was it fixed?
                    > >
                    > > John W1JWN
                    >
                    > I had my 897 act the same way a while back. Low audio output and sounded like my speaker was blown out. Tried other speakers and headphones. Nothing worked. Did a reset and all was perfect again, and has been for quite a while. Darned if I know what caused it as it has never been in any adverse conditions, but the reset did the job.
                    >
                    > Dale
                    > KJ4LCM

                  • Eric van de Weyer
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 30, 2013
                      Had exactly the same with mine about 3 years ago. Reset fixed it.

                      73....Eric VK2VE.

                      > I have a yaesu 897 that went thru my house fire in 2007. I had the radio
                      cleaned and it has worked perfect since 2007. Suddenly the audio has become
                      fuzzy, and has static.

                      > I have checked all the connections and I switched antennas. I do have one
                      button that has never worked since the fire. That is the back mode button. I
                      do not want to attempt a reset because this button is what is used for ADMS
                      software to program the radio.

                      > And I did try to use headphones to see if it was just the speaker. Same
                      noise on the headphones.

                      > Has anyone come across this problem, and if so how was it fixed?
                      >
                      > John W1JWN

                      I had my 897 act the same way a while back. Low audio output and sounded
                      like my speaker was blown out. Tried other speakers and headphones. Nothing
                      worked. Did a reset and all was perfect again, and has been for quite a
                      while. Darned if I know what caused it as it has never been in any adverse
                      conditions, but the reset did the job.

                      Dale
                      KJ4LCM

                    • Pete
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 31, 2013
                        This message is not intended to help John (W1JWN), because he has already responded that his AGC is on and not the cause of his problem. But I wanted to double on what Hank (N2MU) said, for some others who might be reading this thread. A few weeks ago my 897 suddenly sounded very distorted, fuzzy and staticky. It sounded as if the speaker had blown (but headphones sounded just as bad), or there was some strong nearby RFI. I posted the problem on this forum and someone responded with a reminder that I check if AGC had gotten turned off. That was the problem. I turned AGC on (Multi Function Row L)and the problem was fixed.

                        Pete, KE6ZIW