Hooking up a Drake L-4B to the 897D

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
      I have purchased a Drake L-4b amplifier and I am trying to hook it up to my 897D radio. My question is as follows:
      Has anyone else have one with an 897D? My issue is how to connect the radio to the Vox control switch in order to flip into transmit mode. My amp does not have the 2 pin plug needed to plug into the the amp. Can this be any two pin plug that will fit or does it have to be the actual plug?

      I have a Heil Proset plus with a foot pedal. This pedal as most knows has a cord attached with a RCA plug. I would trip my Al-84 by plugging in the RCA Cord into the socket on the back. However, I know that I can trip it from the Radio or from the FootPedal. Does it make a difference? I am aware of the voltage difference between the new and old radios and I believe a interface is necessary if tripping it from the radio. Is that true is tripped from the pedal??

      Any advice on what interface to get? I believe Ameritron and Yeasu make one. Does it really matter if I trip it from the pedal or radio?? Any pros and cons??

      Look forward to any advice you can provide

      Thanks!
      Rob AB9DF
    • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
        The two pin plug can be any two pin plug that works, it's nothing special.

        73
        David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA <http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/> Radio-Officers
        Group<http://groups.google.com/group/radio-officers?hl=en>-- Join
        Morse Recordings <http://tiny.cc/n1ea>
        *Gopher Hole:* gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/ (native or with
        Firefox's Overbite extension) or via http to gopher
        gateway<http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw?gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/>
        *C**hat* Skype: djringjr MSN: djringjr@... AIM: N1EA icq: 27380609

        =30=

        On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 8:25 PM, Rob <rkik0614@...> wrote:

        > I have purchased a Drake L-4b amplifier and I am trying to hook it up to
        > my 897D radio. My question is as follows:
        > Has anyone else have one with an 897D? My issue is how to connect the
        > radio to the Vox control switch in order to flip into transmit mode. My
        > amp does not have the 2 pin plug needed to plug into the the amp. Can this
        > be any two pin plug that will fit or does it have to be the actual plug?
        >
        > I have a Heil Proset plus with a foot pedal. This pedal as most knows has
        > a cord attached with a RCA plug. I would trip my Al-84 by plugging in the
        > RCA Cord into the socket on the back. However, I know that I can trip it
        > from the Radio or from the FootPedal. Does it make a difference? I am
        > aware of the voltage difference between the new and old radios and I
        > believe a interface is necessary if tripping it from the radio. Is that
        > true is tripped from the pedal??
        >
        > Any advice on what interface to get? I believe Ameritron and Yeasu make
        > one. Does it really matter if I trip it from the pedal or radio?? Any pros
        > and cons??
        >
        > Look forward to any advice you can provide
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Rob AB9DF

      • bw3us
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 20, 2013
          Rob, I used an L4B with my 897D and it worked well. I used a foot pedal to key it and also used (still do) an "Ampkeyer" to key my Ameritron now. Any 2 pin plug will work, nothing special needed... 2 pin plug on one end and an RCA for the Ampkeyer on the other.
          Email me if you need further help.
          The owner of the Heathkit Shop (WB8VGE)is down with the flu right now, but an email is still the way to contact him unless your going to us the foot switch.
          Bill, w8waw@...