Re: [FT897] Re: Another ALC Question, hope someone can help!

  • Joel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 17, 2013
      Weak audio output is very common on 2 meter FM in my area - seems a lot
      of guys got the idea
      somewhere that with FM since you have full power out all the time you
      need little modulation. I have
      to ask a lot of ops that have a full scale signal to speak up - you hear
      it all the time on repeaters
      as well- dont worry you are not going to ' over deviate' if you speak at
      a good level and have a
      decent mic gain setting. The other problem is the guys that then tell
      people that they are
      ' driving it too hard' because they have to turn their volume down when
      a station that is not whispering
      comes on. They are so used to talking to mumble mouth Joe that they have
      their volume all the way up
      all the time.

      On 1/17/2013 10:42 AM, Clark wrote:

      > I share this confusion ... I often hear other hams discuss "weak" SSB
      > audio and can't quite figure out what it is :-) . However, I got a
      > better idea after I got a decent PEP (active, the NYE RFM) wattmeter.
      > The dynamics of the audio can contribute a whole lot to SSB
      > intelligibility and if I don't "bump up" against the ALC to some
      > extent, I may indeed be hitting the PEP envelope to the maximum, but
      > the rest of my audio is less present (watch your average reading
      > wattmeter vs. the peak reading wattmeter, not a linear relationship as
      > you back off the gain ... at least on my radios.)
      >
      > So, one more simple idea, make sure you speak directly into the mike
      > and have the audio gain on the radio so that the ALC meter goes into
      > the ALC range on a regular basis as you speak. SOME radios / ALC need
      > only a tiny bit of ALC to reach the fuller envelope, some need more.
      > Fiddle with it as well as take heed of Radio Randy's tips.
      >
      > Let us know what you find out. I learn a lot from this group.
      >
      > Clark
      > WA3JPG
      >
      > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > "Radio_Randy" wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm confused when you say your audio is "weak". The only time you
      > would have weak audio is when your modulation is low on AM or your
      > deviation is low on FM. In SSB, your audio is just as strong as your
      > RF because your audio and RF are directly related to each other.
      >

      > No virus found in this message.

      KQØJ