Re: [FT897] Batteries for the 897

  • Daniel Boone
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 6, 2013
      I cant help with aftermarket batteries but if anyone has an old set you can take them to  your local Batteries Plus and they will crack the case and install even stronger cells.  All you pay for is the batteries they do all the soldering and everything for free.  They did my batteries and they work great.  Im sure there are other Battery shops around that may do the same.  Just ask.  I also take them old UPS units I find and they test the UPS and install the batteies in them as well for free.  Just about everything I own is on a UPS and all I spent was for th3e batteries to bring them back to life.  Good luck with your battery challenge.

      Dan ke5cir

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 8, 2013
        > >Hello All,

        I have been following this thread, and I decided to make a post. I have a fairly new W4RT Battery pack and W4RT Fast Charger that came with my 897, and that I do not intend to use. I will sell the package, Battery, Charger and associated cables for $100.00 plus shipping. That should give someone an inexpensive chance to have portable power for the rig.

        Thanks,

        Dale

      • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 10, 2013
          9Ah total is very good. In a situation where I might have to monitor a
          frequency for a SSB signal, receive a short message, transmit
          acknowledgement with 2 watts SSB would the internal batteries last 12 hours?

          I think Yaesu engineering did fabulously with this radio.

          The only possible addition would be adding 70 MHz and 220 MHz.
          But that's really looking hard for what this radio won't do.

          I even like it on 2m FM and use it there daily.

          David N1EA
          On Jan 10, 2013 8:52 PM, "Clark" <wa3jpg@...> wrote:

          > Wow, I don't understand this. I've a couple sets of internal batteries
          > and always found that, at 5 watts, I can operate for many hours on ONE
          > battery.
          >
          > Using 20 watts and having QSO's where I transmit a lot, I may only get an
          > hour out of one battery, but that's why I have two in there :-)
          >
          > This is not to discourage you from getting that way-cool 10 a/h battery
          > from K2.... but the basic internal Yaesu batteries at 4.5 a/h each are
          > certainly fine for short excursions to the local parks or hilltops. And
          > darned convenient.
          >
          > Clark
          > WA3JPG
          >
          > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Mitchellri wrote:
          > >
          > > Larry is right, the batteries are best used for receiving only. The
          > draw on even 5 watts is too much.

        • Joe Beets
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
            All of us agree that the FT-897D
            is a well-designed multi-band all
            mode radio that happens to
            be able to be "portable", why else would have we invested our monies
            into this brick of silicon. When this radio was first put to the general public
            in 2002, battery technology was not what we have available these days. Major strides have been made in
            packing energy into a battery since this radio design was released.

            Ten years ago the NiMH 4500 ma battery was
            very impressive for its day in time. Today there is better battery chemistry
            with much higher power capabilities at cheaper prices. Compared with today’s technology it
            is easy to say that Yaesu did not meet the mark when it comes to the “internal”
            battery design,I find that line of thought to be short-sighted.

            Being into RC planes (gliders) for the last
            30+ years I have seen the strides in performance improvements when it comes to
            the amount of energy that is packed into such a small package, be it an Alkaline/NiCad/NiMH/LiPo/LiFe
            battery. It would be nice to see a revision change that incorporates today’s technology
            into that brick of silicon we love so well….. Though it does allow us to tinker
            and develop a home-brew approach to this minor flaw.

            I have spent some time thinking about how
            best to be portable out in the field, I do have a FT-857D in the truck but it
            seems wrong to be in the cab of the truck while I am out camping somewhere wanting to communicate
            with the world. I think the best setup would be a combination of a deep cell
            w/solar panel to keep a charge going while the sun is out or maybe a LiFe chemistry
            battery with a solar panel/controller to maintain the charge.

            Not everyone is going to have the desire to
            lug a boat anchors worth of lead around, so look at your power needs and figure
            out how much AH’s you really need for your station when you are portable. There
            is a package out there that will fit your pocketbook while maintaining your desired
            level of radio communications around the world.

            73’s

            barton

            WA6BD

          • Alvin Chipmunk
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
              Hi All,

              My dissatisfaction is with the "Yaesu batteries" not the transceiver or the clever compartment.  I'm convinced I way overpaid and could have easily developed or built in a decent "current technology" battery system within the available space for the cash I burned on them.  Why is Yaesu still peddling an old battery technology in the aftermarket?

              Archie
              (N3KVL)

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
                Bottom line on your question is this - MONEY!

                We, as amateur radio operators, are just a VERY small percentage of the
                "radio" business. What they offer to us is a "basic" way to power the
                radio - and to "upgrade" much of what they have is too costly for them
                versus the returns. MANY of the radios they sell to us are "offshoots"
                in one way, shape or form from what they sell in the commercial market.
                Those radios, then, are band limited for our market and licensures.

                If someone has a better reason, I am all ears! - But that is my story,
                and I am sticking to it!!!

                Dennis - N8BMB
                On 1/11/2013 21:27, Alvin Chipmunk wrote:

                > Hi All,
                >
                > My dissatisfaction is with the "Yaesu batteries" not the transceiver
                > or the clever compartment. I'm convinced I way overpaid and could
                > have easily developed or built in a decent "current technology"
                > battery system within the available space for the cash I burned on
                > them. Why is Yaesu still peddling an old battery technology in the
                > aftermarket?
                >
                > Archie
                > (N3KVL)

              • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 13, 2013
                  What types of cells were in the battery?

                  73

                  David N1EA

                • mrpictureman@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 13, 2013
                    Interstate battery will repackage cells too.

                    Sent from my iPhone