897 display

  • Max White
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 6, 2013
      Greetings all - having recently acquired an 897 with a AT-897 autotuner bolted on, could anyone enlighten me as to the meaning of the 'running little man' logo in the bottom of the screen? I've had a look in the manual but can't find it!

      The rig also has the internal Yaesu 13v mains adapter installed, if it pertains to this?

      Many thanks & 73 - Max/M0VNG

    • wa9fvp
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 7, 2013
        Disconnect the antenna. If you still hear it, there's something wrong with your 897. If it goes away, it's probably a local interference and its "fox hunting" time!

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "n3kvl" wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I was tuning around on 14Mhz and found that I have a rather strong tone at 14.212, 14.272, and 14.332.5, 14.394, and 14.455.
        >
        > And it may also be present in other places, but it is clearly realted at each freq....sounds the very same.
        >
        > Is this QRM, could it be the computer sitting next to the rig? As soon as I'm done typing I'm going to kill the PC and try to eliminate it.
        >
        > Just looking for some insights.
        >
        > Archie

      • TIM BASS
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 13, 2013
          The running man indicates that the tuning knob will spin faster!
          When it is "off" there is more resistance as one spins the dial.
          The little guy will also "grow" in size if you change the size of the display from the menu.

          Tim
          N1TCB

          To: ft897@yahoogroups.com
          From: bmews@...
          Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 10:11:35 +0000
          Subject: [FT897] 897 display

          Greetings all - having recently acquired an 897 with a AT-897 autotuner bolted on, could anyone enlighten me as to the meaning of the 'running little man' logo in the bottom of the screen? I've had a look in the manual but can't find it!

          The rig also has the internal Yaesu 13v mains adapter installed, if it pertains to this?

          Many thanks & 73 - Max/M0VNG

        • GI8FLQ
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 14, 2013
            'Running man' indicates faster VFO tuning rate - it toggles on/off by single
            touch of power button - square grey button between headphone socket and
            tuning knob. Happy hunting and keep it simple!

            73 de David GI8FLQ

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 14, 2013
              The symbol means that the radio is in "Fast Tune" mode (more kHz per revolution of the dial). It does NOT change the resistance of the dial. See page 22 of the manual for instructions.

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, TIM BASS wrote:

              > The running man indicates that the tuning knob will spin faster!
              > When it is "off" there is more resistance as one spins the dial.
              > The little guy will also "grow" in size if you change the size of the display from the menu.
              >
              > Tim
              > N1TCB
            • p r simmonds
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 14, 2013
                The running man indicates the faster tuning rate has been selected, if you have your tuning step set to 1 then with fast rate selected it becomes 2, fast rate is enabled and disabled by a momentary press of the power button, hope this helps.
                Regards
                Paul - M6WAX