RE: [FT897] Batteries for the 897

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 5, 2013
      Very cool.

      From: FT897@yahoogroups.com [mailto:FT897@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jason Turning
      Sent: Saturday, January 5, 2013 8:26 PM
      To: FT897@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [FT897] Batteries for the 897

      I'm fond of the K2 Energy LiFePo battery with built in Battery Management
      System which allows you to use a regular 12v charging system as well as running
      full power. I've used my Watt's Up meter to check out the BMS built into the
      battery and it works flawlessly allowing you to even plug it into your car
      while driving to charge the battery. The BMS controls the charging current
      decreasing it until the battery is fully charged at which point it will disable
      charging, as well as also protecting the battery from shorts and damage. And
      fully charged the battery is 13.35 volts and drops off slowly compared to 12.7
      volts for a gel cell. And with 6.8 Ah and 1.8 lbs its very convenient for a
      full afternoon of operating at full power or even hiking with it. And its good
      for up to 25 amp draw and 2000 cycles with no cycle loss by taking it down past
      50% like a gel cell battery. Out portable for an afternoon the most battery I
      use according to the Watt's Up meter is about 4 Ah. They also make a 10 Ah
      version at 2.2 lbs if you're more radio active than I am. One note, you must
      not use a conditioning charger (desulfating voltage pulse) with this battery,
      but regular 12v chargers are fine. And if you don't get the built in BMS you
      will need a special charger.

      This is really 6.8 Ah and only $139 with BMS which is a great bang for the buck
      for LiFePo at about 1.8 lbs:
      http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/lithium-iron-phosphate/12v/k2-energy-k2b12v7eb-12v-7ah-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery-bms

      If another ham, KB5WIA, hadn't informed me of the K2 Energy I would have
      probably bought the more expensive A123 stuff from Buddipole where the
      batteries are more expensive and you need the special charger at even more
      expense.

      http://kb5wia.blogspot.com/2011/05/solar-power-for-ham-radio-satellites.html

      I also have a data sheet from the manufacturer for the 10 Ah version, so if
      you're interested just drop me an e-mail and I'll forward to you.

      Jason - N6WBL

      On 01/05/2013 05:04 PM, Alvin Chipmunk wrote:
      > Michael,
      >
      > The Yaesu batteries have been a disappointment for me; especially considering the higher price tag. I think the FT897 is basically a current hog.
      >
      > Money would be better invested in a light-weight external battery system.
      >
      > Archie (N3KVL)
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Clark
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 6, 2013
        Yeah, that K2 Energy 10 AmpHour battery looks really good to me.

        I've always used the internal 4.5 AmpHour Nimh batteries with my 897, and I've always found them for $90 or less (each) and today found a source at about $80 by searching.

        I love the internal battery concept. Pack rig and go.

        But that K2 Energy.... you could even kick it up to 100 watts for a quick QSO if desired and the charging is simple. I only wish it was split in half and fit inside the 897 battery compartments :-)

        Clark
        WA3JPG
      • Pete
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 6, 2013
          That's great information Jason about the K2 Energy battery. I had been considering buying the A123 battery from Buddipole. What kind of connectors and cabling do you use to hook up the K2 battery to the FT-897 (I don't have the radio yet and can't look at its external power connections). And what kind of connection do you use to connect with a power supply, or with the car battery?

          Pete, KE6ZIW

          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Jason Turning wrote:

          > I'm fond of the K2 Energy LiFePo battery with built in Battery Management
          > System which allows you to use a regular 12v charging system as well as running
          > full power. I've used my Watt's Up meter to check out the BMS built into the
          > battery and it works flawlessly allowing you to even plug it into your car
          > while driving to charge the battery. The BMS controls the charging current
          > decreasing it until the battery is fully charged at which point it will disable
          > charging, as well as also protecting the battery from shorts and damage. And
          > fully charged the battery is 13.35 volts and drops off slowly compared to 12.7
          > volts for a gel cell. And with 6.8 Ah and 1.8 lbs its very convenient for a
          > full afternoon of operating at full power or even hiking with it. And its good
          > for up to 25 amp draw and 2000 cycles with no cycle loss by taking it down past
          > 50% like a gel cell battery. Out portable for an afternoon the most battery I
          > use according to the Watt's Up meter is about 4 Ah. They also make a 10 Ah
          > version at 2.2 lbs if you're more radio active than I am. One note, you must
          > not use a conditioning charger (desulfating voltage pulse) with this battery,
          > but regular 12v chargers are fine. And if you don't get the built in BMS you
          > will need a special charger.
          >
          > This is really 6.8 Ah and only $139 with BMS which is a great bang for the buck
          > for LiFePo at about 1.8 lbs:
          > http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/lithium-iron-phosphate/12v/k2-energy-k2b12v7eb-12v-7ah-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery-bms
          >
          > If another ham, KB5WIA, hadn't informed me of the K2 Energy I would have
          > probably bought the more expensive A123 stuff from Buddipole where the
          > batteries are more expensive and you need the special charger at even more
          > expense.
          >
          > http://kb5wia.blogspot.com/2011/05/solar-power-for-ham-radio-satellites.html
          >
          > I also have a data sheet from the manufacturer for the 10 Ah version, so if
          > you're interested just drop me an e-mail and I'll forward to you.
          >
          > Jason - N6WBL
        • Jason Turning
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 6, 2013
            I'm standardized on Anderson Powerpole connectors on the rigs and everything.
            The Powerwerx TRIcrimp works great if you don't have one and you can also get
            the connectors from them, http://www.powerwerx.com/. For charging in the truck
            I have an Anderson Powerpole to cigarette adapter for a convenient way to plug
            in. And with Anderson Powerpoles on my Watt's Up meter I can place that in-line
            anywhere along with my MFJ voltage booster. Lot of devices come with them built
            in like my MFJ 4416B voltage booster, KI0BK PWRgate....

            Picture of the battery:
            http://tinyurl.com/b6tjb7x

            Jason - N6WBL

            On 01/06/2013 10:05 AM, Pete wrote:
            > That's great information Jason about the K2 Energy battery. I had been
            > considering buying the A123 battery from Buddipole. What kind of connectors
            > and cabling do you use to hook up the K2 battery to the FT-897 (I don't have
            > the radio yet and can't look at its external power connections). And what
            > kind of connection do you use to connect with a power supply, or with the
            > car battery?
            >
            > Pete, KE6ZIW
          • Daniel Boone
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 6, 2013
              I cant help with aftermarket batteries but if anyone has an old set you can take them to  your local Batteries Plus and they will crack the case and install even stronger cells.  All you pay for is the batteries they do all the soldering and everything for free.  They did my batteries and they work great.  Im sure there are other Battery shops around that may do the same.  Just ask.  I also take them old UPS units I find and they test the UPS and install the batteies in them as well for free.  Just about everything I own is on a UPS and all I spent was for th3e batteries to bring them back to life.  Good luck with your battery challenge.

              Dan ke5cir

              ________________________________
              I'm getting ready to purchase the batteries for my 897. Before I go buy the
              stock Yaesu batteries does anyone have any suggestions for some aftermarket
              3rd party batteries that might be cheaper, and/or better?

              Michael

              Kf6wtc

            • nr3r15
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 7, 2013
                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Michael wrote:

                > I'm getting ready to purchase the batteries for my 897. Before I go buy the
                > stock Yaesu batteries does anyone have any suggestions for some aftermarket
                > 3rd party batteries that might be cheaper, and/or better?
                >

                > Michael
                >
                > Kf6wtc

                W4RT and Batteries America have them less expensive. However, I had the Yaesu and W4RT batteries and none of them worked very well. They do not last long at all even at 5 Watts. It's not the batteries as much as the radio. I went to a little larger external battery source. Yes the internal comcept is nice but not practical in the field.

                Larry / nr3r
              • Mitchellri
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 7, 2013
                  Larry is right, the batteries are best used for receiving only. The draw on even 5 watts is too much. The alternative, if you want, would be to parallel 2 batteries, but that gets really expensive. I have tried cw on the internal battery, and didn't get far. Also, you do need an external charger, as the 897 will not charge. The only real way to use it in the field is with an external battery.

                  Leeds
                  WA1GJF

                  > I'm getting ready to purchase the batteries for my 897. Before I go buy the
                  > stock Yaesu batteries does anyone have any suggestions for some aftermarket
                  > 3rd party batteries that might be cheaper, and/or better?
                  >

                  > Michael
                  >
                  > Kf6wtc

                  W4RT and Batteries America have them less expensive. However, I had the Yaesu and W4RT batteries and none of them worked very well. They do not last long at all even at 5 Watts. It's not the batteries as much as the radio. I went to a little larger external battery source. Yes the internal comcept is nice but not practical in the field.

                  Larry / nr3r

                • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 7, 2013
                    Jason,

                    Gorgeous photos of man, mountain, truck, and FT897 at you qrz page
                    http://www.qrz.com/db/n6wbl

                    Imagine eating lunch there and the DX?

                    73

                    DR
                    N1EA
                    On Jan 6, 2013 2:45 PM, "Jason Turning" <jturning@...> wrote:

                    > I'm standardized on Anderson Powerpole connectors on the rigs and
                    > everything.
                    > The Powerwerx TRIcrimp works great if you don't have one and you can also
                    > get
                    > the connectors from them, http://www.powerwerx.com/. For charging in the
                    > truck
                    > I have an Anderson Powerpole to cigarette adapter for a convenient way to
                    > plug
                    > in. And with Anderson Powerpoles on my Watt's Up meter I can place that
                    > in-line
                    > anywhere along with my MFJ voltage booster. Lot of devices come with them
                    > built
                    > in like my MFJ 4416B voltage booster, KI0BK PWRgate....
                    >
                    > Picture of the battery:
                    > http://tinyurl.com/b6tjb7x

                    > Jason - N6WBL
                    >
                    > On 01/06/2013 10:05 AM, Pete wrote:
                    > > That's great information Jason about the K2 Energy battery. I had been
                    > > considering buying the A123 battery from Buddipole. What kind of
                    > connectors
                    > > and cabling do you use to hook up the K2 battery to the FT-897 (I don't
                    > have
                    > > the radio yet and can't look at its external power connections). And what
                    > > kind of connection do you use to connect with a power supply, or with the
                    > > car battery?
                    > >
                    > > Pete, KE6ZIW

                  • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 7, 2013
                      I would hate to think Yaesu engineers totally mess this up.

                      What is the capacity in maH of the batteries?

                      73

                      David
                      N1EA

                    • ka9p@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 7, 2013
                        I'm sure everyone knows what they need, but I guess I may be onr of the few on here that thinks that the Yaesu engineers got it right for grab and go. They did such a nice job with this rig as a jack of all trades it would have been odd if they totally blew the battery system. :) Sure, its not the battery in terms of performance that the one in the VX1210 is, but one of those is close to 400 bucks. Read the 300 reviews on QTH and see how many complain about the batteries - its not a hot topic.

                        2 FN72 batteries is 9 AH, and I've run the two of them in HF contests running 20 watts at the beach many times for 4 to 5 hours. For fun I rarely operate more than that Literally somewhere between 150 and 200 charge cycles I think, and just now replaced them because I was going on a trip where I wanted to have the radio as good as it could be. I just haven't seen the cell failures some people report, but I don't stress the batteries beyond the design parameters. And I can charge both when the rig is in the Jeep using 2 CD24s and operating off the winch battery (I know, it ain't cheap)

                        If you need more than 9 AH, you do need a bigger battery, and you can get something cheaper, tho the long term flogging of a lead acid battery isn't an optimal strategy either. But in terms of being self contained, being a well designed reliable system that is easy to use and can be picked up with one hand and literally carried around while in use with the mic in the other its pretty darn slick.

                        If all you want to do is pull the stuff out of your car and pile the stuff on a picnic table and not move around, go for it. But if you need monster power for emergency comms, put a deep cycle battery in your car, and be done with it :)

                        I think if you want a few hours of effortless portable power and don't mind spending the money, the Yaesu solution is a good one. But as they say YMMV.

                        73 Scott

                        I would hate to think Yaesu engineers totally mess this up.

                        What is the capacity in maH of the batteries?

                        73

                        David
                        N1EA
                        On Jan 7, 2013 2:18 PM, "Mitchellri" <MITCHELLRI@...> wrote:

                        > Larry is right, the batteries are best used for receiving only. The draw
                        > on even 5 watts is too much. The alternative, if you want, would be to
                        > parallel 2 batteries, but that gets really expensive. I have tried cw on
                        > the internal battery, and didn't get far. Also, you do need an external
                        > charger, as the 897 will not charge. The only real way to use it in the
                        > field is with an external battery.
                        >
                        > Leeds
                        > WA1GJF

                      • daleclift
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 8, 2013
                          > >Hello All,

                          I have been following this thread, and I decided to make a post. I have a fairly new W4RT Battery pack and W4RT Fast Charger that came with my 897, and that I do not intend to use. I will sell the package, Battery, Charger and associated cables for $100.00 plus shipping. That should give someone an inexpensive chance to have portable power for the rig.

                          Thanks,

                          Dale

                        • nr3r15
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 10, 2013
                            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." wrote:

                            > I would hate to think Yaesu engineers totally mess this up.
                            >
                            > What is the capacity in maH of the batteries?
                            >
                            > 73
                            >
                            > David
                            > N1EA

                            4500 mAh per battery

                            Larry / nr3r
                          • Clark
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 10, 2013
                              Wow, I don't understand this. I've a couple sets of internal batteries and always found that, at 5 watts, I can operate for many hours on ONE battery.

                              Using 20 watts and having QSO's where I transmit a lot, I may only get an hour out of one battery, but that's why I have two in there :-)

                              This is not to discourage you from getting that way-cool 10 a/h battery from K2.... but the basic internal Yaesu batteries at 4.5 a/h each are certainly fine for short excursions to the local parks or hilltops. And darned convenient.

                              Clark
                              WA3JPG

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 10, 2013
                                9Ah total is very good. In a situation where I might have to monitor a
                                frequency for a SSB signal, receive a short message, transmit
                                acknowledgement with 2 watts SSB would the internal batteries last 12 hours?

                                I think Yaesu engineering did fabulously with this radio.

                                The only possible addition would be adding 70 MHz and 220 MHz.
                                But that's really looking hard for what this radio won't do.

                                I even like it on 2m FM and use it there daily.

                                David N1EA
                                On Jan 10, 2013 8:52 PM, "Clark" <wa3jpg@...> wrote:

                                > Wow, I don't understand this. I've a couple sets of internal batteries
                                > and always found that, at 5 watts, I can operate for many hours on ONE
                                > battery.
                                >
                                > Using 20 watts and having QSO's where I transmit a lot, I may only get an
                                > hour out of one battery, but that's why I have two in there :-)
                                >
                                > This is not to discourage you from getting that way-cool 10 a/h battery
                                > from K2.... but the basic internal Yaesu batteries at 4.5 a/h each are
                                > certainly fine for short excursions to the local parks or hilltops. And
                                > darned convenient.
                                >
                                > Clark
                                > WA3JPG
                                >
                                > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Mitchellri wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Larry is right, the batteries are best used for receiving only. The
                                > draw on even 5 watts is too much.

                              • Joe Beets
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
                                  All of us agree that the FT-897D
                                  is a well-designed multi-band all
                                  mode radio that happens to
                                  be able to be "portable", why else would have we invested our monies
                                  into this brick of silicon. When this radio was first put to the general public
                                  in 2002, battery technology was not what we have available these days. Major strides have been made in
                                  packing energy into a battery since this radio design was released.

                                  Ten years ago the NiMH 4500 ma battery was
                                  very impressive for its day in time. Today there is better battery chemistry
                                  with much higher power capabilities at cheaper prices. Compared with today’s technology it
                                  is easy to say that Yaesu did not meet the mark when it comes to the “internal”
                                  battery design,I find that line of thought to be short-sighted.

                                  Being into RC planes (gliders) for the last
                                  30+ years I have seen the strides in performance improvements when it comes to
                                  the amount of energy that is packed into such a small package, be it an Alkaline/NiCad/NiMH/LiPo/LiFe
                                  battery. It would be nice to see a revision change that incorporates today’s technology
                                  into that brick of silicon we love so well….. Though it does allow us to tinker
                                  and develop a home-brew approach to this minor flaw.

                                  I have spent some time thinking about how
                                  best to be portable out in the field, I do have a FT-857D in the truck but it
                                  seems wrong to be in the cab of the truck while I am out camping somewhere wanting to communicate
                                  with the world. I think the best setup would be a combination of a deep cell
                                  w/solar panel to keep a charge going while the sun is out or maybe a LiFe chemistry
                                  battery with a solar panel/controller to maintain the charge.

                                  Not everyone is going to have the desire to
                                  lug a boat anchors worth of lead around, so look at your power needs and figure
                                  out how much AH’s you really need for your station when you are portable. There
                                  is a package out there that will fit your pocketbook while maintaining your desired
                                  level of radio communications around the world.

                                  73’s

                                  barton

                                  WA6BD

                                • Alvin Chipmunk
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
                                    Hi All,

                                    My dissatisfaction is with the "Yaesu batteries" not the transceiver or the clever compartment.  I'm convinced I way overpaid and could have easily developed or built in a decent "current technology" battery system within the available space for the cash I burned on them.  Why is Yaesu still peddling an old battery technology in the aftermarket?

                                    Archie
                                    (N3KVL)

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 11, 2013
                                      Bottom line on your question is this - MONEY!

                                      We, as amateur radio operators, are just a VERY small percentage of the
                                      "radio" business. What they offer to us is a "basic" way to power the
                                      radio - and to "upgrade" much of what they have is too costly for them
                                      versus the returns. MANY of the radios they sell to us are "offshoots"
                                      in one way, shape or form from what they sell in the commercial market.
                                      Those radios, then, are band limited for our market and licensures.

                                      If someone has a better reason, I am all ears! - But that is my story,
                                      and I am sticking to it!!!

                                      Dennis - N8BMB
                                      On 1/11/2013 21:27, Alvin Chipmunk wrote:

                                      > Hi All,
                                      >
                                      > My dissatisfaction is with the "Yaesu batteries" not the transceiver
                                      > or the clever compartment. I'm convinced I way overpaid and could
                                      > have easily developed or built in a decent "current technology"
                                      > battery system within the available space for the cash I burned on
                                      > them. Why is Yaesu still peddling an old battery technology in the
                                      > aftermarket?
                                      >
                                      > Archie
                                      > (N3KVL)

                                    • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 13, 2013
                                        What types of cells were in the battery?

                                        73

                                        David N1EA

                                      • mrpictureman@gmail.com
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 13, 2013
                                          Interstate battery will repackage cells too.

                                          Sent from my iPhone