Re: [FT897] Swapping internal power supply with batteries

  • David Bradley
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 25, 1936
      Hi Peter if you gonna buy batts and charger from Yaesu you will need to offload a lot of cash ,I got same capacity batts and charger from W4RT they do loads of batts and chargers for all rigs also when I got mine two years ago they were probably a third of Yaesu price,W4RT batts last me good four hours at 20 watts x 2 with two batts,charger you do need 25-28vdc to drive charger which will then charge approx 4hrs,I have never had any probs ,would recommend also being in UK I got stung with import duty was still worth it,so you would get bargain over the pond,good support too,there you have my two cents worth,73 2E0DTB Dave

      Sent from my iPad

    • ka9p@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 27, 1936
        So I had to weigh a few things after reading this string, with batteries
        and tuners where available but no antenna..

        PRC74b all in, no antenna, about 25 pounds. Most newer green radios I
        expect are lighter.

        FT897, two batteries, antenna bracket and LD-897 tuner, about 15.5 pounds.

        IC703 with an 8 amp gel cell in a World Pack configuration about 11 pounds
        (granted that battery is heavy) and I have to agree it's a very nice
        packset; and

        VX1210, with tuner and battery, about 8.5 pounds, great for playing in the
        mud but ergonomically and feature-wise not a lot of fun.

        A KX3 and a lithium nanophospate battery worth about 2 amp hours wouldn't
        even register at all on the tared bathroom scale.

        So while as a proponent of the Yaesu 897 system I could say !!!! OMG 10
        pounds lighter than a military manpack!!! I will reluctantly concede that the
        897 will NOT become the official radio of SOTA anytime soon :).

        And I won't hump it far, but have used it on an Alice frame for short hikes
        and concluded that it's uncomfortably heavy but usable under duress. If
        you backpack much you won't recognize it as unusually burdensome solely
        from a weight standpoint.

        It kinda fits what I think is the theme of the 897, it may not be a first
        choice for a lot of applications, but it's useful for a heck of a lot more
        applications than most any other radio.

        Cheers, Scott

        In a message dated 12/28/2012 9:14:42 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        yahoo@... writes:

        I'm not very familiar with the battery market (I use standard 18AH SLA
        batteries), but as far as connectors: Anderson PowerPole connectors are
        the standard for amateur radio 12-14.2VDC power interconnectivity.

        -- Dean

        On 2012-12-28 17:02, Pete wrote:
        > Thanks Dean, Jim and Archie for your valuable insights. If I get the
        radio with only the internal power supply, do you have any recommendations for
        an external battery that ... has compatible connectors for the FT-897?

      • Ted Wrobel
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 28, 1936
          Hi Pete,

          If you google lifepo battery you will find a bunch of options. Look for 12v
          energy storage batteries. The lifepo batteries are much safer than the other
          (older) lithium batteries, cannot burn or explode. Lots available for about
          $150 with charger. Special charger is needed. Discharge curve is much
          superior to lead acid types. You really can get almost the rated AH capacity
          at useful voltage. Lead acid rarely gives edven 1/2 rated AH.

          Anderson powerpoles are the way to go for connectors. Will still need a
          radio connector, though.

          73
          Ted
          W1GRI

          _____

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 28, 1936
            If you are only going a "Short walk from the car" still forget about 100 watts.
            If you limit yourself to 20 watts you will still draw over 4 amps on transmit and any small battery will soo be expended.
            At this point a small 12 volt garden tractor battery will still be portable enough and you can recharge it from the car when not in use.
            Battery space .com sell 10 aH Nimh cells aand premade batteries and also supply proper cchargers for the packs. At 10 watts you are drawing approx 2 amps from the battery and you get reasonable time. It all depends on how much you talk.
            In the Army if someone suffered from "GAtor head" where he was all mout and no ears the Sarge would put him on the hand crank for a few hrs to recharge the battery. Thats hard work especially if the rig is being used at the same time.
            Jim VE3DDY/W4