How much is it worth?

  • Guido
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 13, 2012
      I have an 897D with the following xtras:
      W4RT DSP
      W4RT Punch Mic
      W4RT Quick Charge
      Yaesu Batteries x2
      897 Power Supply
      One Board Filters
      LDG 897 Plus Tuner
      LDG SWR/PWR/Etc Meter
      Nifty Manual
      ALL Original Boxes and Manuals, etc...

      The radio and accessories are in excellent condition, batteries hold charge as they should.

      Was wondering what a "Fair" Price would be?

      New price for everything is just over $2500 not including any shipping or installation.

      Will list here first along with craigslist at the same time, then it's off to eBay.

      But I have no idea how to price it.

      Thanks
    • Chris Robinson
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 14, 2012
        I guess it would depned on a few things.
        1) How bad do you want to sell it?
        2) How long have you had it
        3) How much do you want to sell it for?

        I just bought me an 897D last month new with all the bells and whistles as
        well. wishing I had chosen different radio, but I have what I bought.

        --
        Making life hell for others since 1973

        Mr.C.Robinson
        73 DE KF6NFW

        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 14, 2012
          trade yea a TS-440SAT for it.
          Sent from my Verizon Wireless Smartphone

          Chris Robinson <kf6nfw@...> wrote:

          >I guess it would depned on a few things.
          > 1) How bad do you want to sell it?
          > 2) How long have you had it
          > 3) How much do you want to sell it for?
          >

          >I just bought me an 897D last month new with all the bells and whistles as
          >well. wishing I had chosen different radio, but I have what I bought.
          >
          >On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 9:06 PM, Guido <kc7zwg@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> I have an 897D with the following xtras:
          >> W4RT DSP
          >> W4RT Punch Mic
          >> W4RT Quick Charge
          >> Yaesu Batteries x2
          >> 897 Power Supply
          >> One Board Filters
          >> LDG 897 Plus Tuner
          >> LDG SWR/PWR/Etc Meter
          >> Nifty Manual
          >> ALL Original Boxes and Manuals, etc...
          >>
          >> The radio and accessories are in excellent condition, batteries hold
          >> charge as they should.
          >>
          >> Was wondering what a "Fair" Price would be?
          >>
          >> New price for everything is just over $2500 not including any shipping or
          >> installation.
          >>
          >> Will list here first along with craigslist at the same time, then it's off
          >> to eBay.
          >>
          >> But I have no idea how to price it.
          >>
          >> Thanks
          >>

          >--
          >Making life hell for others since 1973
          >
          >Mr.C.Robinson
          > 73 DE KF6NFW

        • Radio_Randy
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 14, 2012
            I can't give you a "fair price", but would suggest you consider selling the station, part by part. The reason I say this is that anyone could buy a very nice radio for what you have in yours. Therefore, I feel it unlikely that you would get any decent offers for the package.

            Just my humble opinion

            73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Guido" <kc7zwg@...> wrote:

            > I have an 897D with the following xtras:
            > W4RT DSP
            > W4RT Punch Mic
            > W4RT Quick Charge
            > Yaesu Batteries x2
            > 897 Power Supply
            > One Board Filters
            > LDG 897 Plus Tuner
            > LDG SWR/PWR/Etc Meter
            > Nifty Manual
            > ALL Original Boxes and Manuals, etc...
            >
            > The radio and accessories are in excellent condition, batteries hold charge as they should.
            >
            > Was wondering what a "Fair" Price would be?
            >
            > New price for everything is just over $2500 not including any shipping or installation.
            >
            > Will list here first along with craigslist at the same time, then it's off to eBay.
            >
            > But I have no idea how to price it.
            >
            > Thanks

          • Gene Gabry
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 14, 2012
              I would agree with Randy. You have a lot of extras, and that would be hard to sell as a package. You would probably make out better by partsing it out. A couple of sites that I use to get an idea of what equipment is worth, or selling for, is QTH.com classifieds and also QRZ.com classifieds. I would start there to see what the going rates are for these items. I have always had very good luck selling on QTH.com classifieds.

              GL and 73 Gene N9TF

              ________________________________

              --- In mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com, "Guido" <kc7zwg@...> wrote:

              > I have an 897D with the following xtras:
              > W4RT DSP
              > W4RT Punch Mic
              > W4RT Quick Charge
              > Yaesu Batteries x2
              > 897 Power Supply
              > One Board Filters
              > LDG 897 Plus Tuner
              > LDG SWR/PWR/Etc Meter
              > Nifty Manual
              > ALL Original Boxes and Manuals, etc...
              >
              > The radio and accessories are in excellent condition, batteries hold charge as they should.
              >
              > Was wondering what a "Fair" Price would be?
              >
              > New price for everything is just over $2500 not including any shipping or installation.
              >
              > Will list here first along with craigslist at the same time, then it's off to eBay.
              >
              > But I have no idea how to price it.
              >
              > Thanks

            • Carl Wulfestieg
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 14, 2012
                Randy-
                It's not a "station"- It's an FT-897D with several upgrades and accessories- It would be impossible to sell "upgrades" separately- When you're selling, many times you just have to take a loss- Sometimes a big one- And in this economy ? You're sure not going to get $2500- I'd pick a price somewhat lower than $2500 and see what happens- If you get offers, then negotiate from there-
                73 Carl WZ4CW

              • John Allen
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 14, 2012
                  Guido,

                  Check the eHam, QRZ, and QTH Web Sites for pricing.

                  Take your costs and cut them in half for starters.

                  Look at the half price of each piece and adjust up or down as needed.

                  The thing you have to ask yourself is, "What Would I Pay for That"?

                  Ham Radio Gear is as bad or worse then selling a new automobile, you just drove off the lot.

                  If you see a lot of what your trying to sell on these sites, its best to wait a while and try again later.

                  73
                  John
                  N9YQ

                  I can't give you a "fair price", but would suggest you consider selling the station, part by part. The reason I say this is that anyone could buy a very nice radio for what you have in yours. Therefore, I feel it unlikely that you would get any decent offers for the package.

                  Just my humble opinion

                  73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Guido" <kc7zwg@...> wrote:

                  > I have an 897D with the following xtras:
                  > W4RT DSP
                  > W4RT Punch Mic
                  > W4RT Quick Charge
                  > Yaesu Batteries x2
                  > 897 Power Supply
                  > One Board Filters
                  > LDG 897 Plus Tuner
                  > LDG SWR/PWR/Etc Meter
                  > Nifty Manual
                  > ALL Original Boxes and Manuals, etc...
                  >
                  > The radio and accessories are in excellent condition, batteries hold charge as they should.
                  >
                  > Was wondering what a "Fair" Price would be?
                  >
                  > New price for everything is just over $2500 not including any shipping or installation.
                  >
                  > Will list here first along with craigslist at the same time, then it's off to eBay.
                  >
                  > But I have no idea how to price it.
                  >
                  > Thanks

                • John Allen
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 14, 2012
                    Guido,

                    One more thing, if you want to get rid of something in favor of another, different radio, etc., offer your package up a "Trade" for the different Radio.

                    Hams love to try different radios and trading works well to make this happen.

                    Good luck,

                    John
                    N9YQ

                    I can't give you a "fair price", but would suggest you consider selling the station, part by part. The reason I say this is that anyone could buy a very nice radio for what you have in yours. Therefore, I feel it unlikely that you would get any decent offers for the package.

                    Just my humble opinion

                    73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Guido" <kc7zwg@...> wrote:

                    > I have an 897D with the following xtras:
                    > W4RT DSP
                    > W4RT Punch Mic
                    > W4RT Quick Charge
                    > Yaesu Batteries x2
                    > 897 Power Supply
                    > One Board Filters
                    > LDG 897 Plus Tuner
                    > LDG SWR/PWR/Etc Meter
                    > Nifty Manual
                    > ALL Original Boxes and Manuals, etc...
                    >
                    > The radio and accessories are in excellent condition, batteries hold charge as they should.
                    >
                    > Was wondering what a "Fair" Price would be?
                    >
                    > New price for everything is just over $2500 not including any shipping or installation.
                    >
                    > Will list here first along with craigslist at the same time, then it's off to eBay.
                    >
                    > But I have no idea how to price it.
                    >
                    > Thanks

                  • Tom Chesek
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 14, 2012
                      I disagree with “It would be impossible to sell "upgrades" separately”. I often buy accessories for new and used radios and have to compete with others to get them. I do agree with “When you're selling, many times you just have to take a loss“. I think that you get the best exposure and price on eBay. I also think that this is the worst time of the year to sell radio and radio items since people are doing Christmas shopping. You might do better in March or April. I think the FT-897 (non D) bare bones is good for $550-600. Yaesu batteries and chargers are worth several hundred dollars new. Go onto eBay and do a search for each item in “completed listings” for each item. If they sold within the last 30 days you can see what other got for their sale. Even if you don’t go with a sale on eBay it gives a reference point for your asking price. Also look on QRZ and other sites for previous sales. Don’t forget to check to see what those items are selling for new to factor into your comparison. Think of your radio package as a car. What cost more, the whole car or the sum of the individual parts??? IMHO sell them individually if you have the time.

                      Tom K3TVC

                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 15, 2012
                        Hi Carl,

                        I was referring to the accessories (tuner, mike, etc.), though I didn't specifically say so. Like you, I probably wouldn't pull the filters and might leave the batteries in, as well.

                        The $2500 price tag was a shocker...I could buy two FT-950s for that...instead, I settled for one (and my 897D).

                        73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

                        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Wulfestieg" <ag4ls@...> wrote:

                        > Randy-
                        > It's not a "station"- It's an FT-897D with several upgrades and accessories- It would be impossible to sell "upgrades" separately- When you're selling, many times you just have to take a loss- Sometimes a big one- And in this economy ? You're sure not going to get $2500- I'd pick a price somewhat lower than $2500 and see what happens- If you get offers, then negotiate from there-
                        > 73 Carl WZ4CW

                      • Guido
                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 15, 2012
                          I will sell it all to the 1st person with $1400, not really interested in any trades unless you have a buddi antenna.

                          It is an excellent radio, I just have too many of them.

                          I suppose it would be best if I went the eBay route?

                          Anyone here wants it?

                          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Radio_Randy" <randy.jones@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Carl,
                          >
                          > I was referring to the accessories (tuner, mike, etc.), though I didn't specifically say so. Like you, I probably wouldn't pull the filters and might leave the batteries in, as well.
                          >
                          > The $2500 price tag was a shocker...I could buy two FT-950s for that...instead, I settled for one (and my 897D).
                          >
                          > 73, Radio Randy N7CKJ
                          >
                          > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Wulfestieg" <ag4ls@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Randy-
                          > > It's not a "station"- It's an FT-897D with several upgrades and accessories- It would be impossible to sell "upgrades" separately- When you're selling, many times you just have to take a loss- Sometimes a big one- And in this economy ? You're sure not going to get $2500- I'd pick a price somewhat lower than $2500 and see what happens- If you get offers, then negotiate from there-
                          > > 73 Carl WZ4CW

                        • AE7HS
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 15, 2012
                            I won't even consider something that is still being produced for more than 60% new. Any more than that it's not worth the risk of having no warranty and not knowing for sure how the equipment has been treated. FYI, for most manufactures the warranty is not transferable.

                            As an 897 owner I am always looking for a good deal on accessories. However, when you consider shipping most seem to be listed at far more than I am willing to pay.

                            If you want to see you stuff quickly price at 50% of new. If you can stand to wait for the right person try 75% of new and be patient (or list on e-bay).

                            AE7HS
                            ae7hs@...
                          • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 15, 2012
                              I used to sell used electronics, we used to biy at 50% list, sell for
                              66-2/3%.

                              David
                              N1EA
                              On Dec 14, 2012 12:06 AM, "Guido" <kc7zwg@...> wrote:

                              > I have an 897D with the following xtras:
                              > W4RT DSP
                              > W4RT Punch Mic
                              > W4RT Quick Charge
                              > Yaesu Batteries x2
                              > 897 Power Supply
                              > One Board Filters
                              > LDG 897 Plus Tuner
                              > LDG SWR/PWR/Etc Meter
                              > Nifty Manual
                              > ALL Original Boxes and Manuals, etc...
                              >
                              > The radio and accessories are in excellent condition, batteries hold
                              > charge as they should.
                              >
                              > Was wondering what a "Fair" Price would be?
                              >
                              > New price for everything is just over $2500 not including any shipping or
                              > installation.
                              >
                              > Will list here first along with craigslist at the same time, then it's off
                              > to eBay.
                              >
                              > But I have no idea how to price it.
                              >
                              > Thanks

                            • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 15, 2012
                                The 66-2/3% price has our check-out, alignment, repair costs and our
                                self-insured warranty for 30 days or return for full refund within 10 days,
                                ffull credit until 30 days.

                                73

                                David N1EA
                                On Dec 15, 2012 10:13 PM, "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:

                                > I used to sell used electronics, we used to biy at 50% list, sell for
                                > 66-2/3%.
                                >
                                > David
                                > N1EA
                                > On Dec 14, 2012 12:06 AM, "Guido" <kc7zwg@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> I have an 897D with the following xtras:
                                >> W4RT DSP
                                >> W4RT Punch Mic
                                >> W4RT Quick Charge
                                >> Yaesu Batteries x2
                                >> 897 Power Supply
                                >> One Board Filters
                                >> LDG 897 Plus Tuner
                                >> LDG SWR/PWR/Etc Meter
                                >> Nifty Manual
                                >> ALL Original Boxes and Manuals, etc...
                                >>
                                >> The radio and accessories are in excellent condition, batteries hold
                                >> charge as they should.
                                >>
                                >> Was wondering what a "Fair" Price would be?
                                >>
                                >> New price for everything is just over $2500 not including any shipping or
                                >> installation.
                                >>
                                >> Will list here first along with craigslist at the same time, then it's
                                >> off to eBay.
                                >>
                                >> But I have no idea how to price it.
                                >>
                                >> Thanks

                              • Guido
                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 16, 2012
                                  If anyone is interested please make me an offer ...

                                  thanks.

                                  --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:

                                  > The 66-2/3% price has our check-out, alignment, repair costs and our
                                  > self-insured warranty for 30 days or return for full refund within 10 days,
                                  > ffull credit until 30 days.
                                  >
                                  > 73
                                  >
                                  > David N1EA
                                  > On Dec 15, 2012 10:13 PM, "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." <n1ea@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > I used to sell used electronics, we used to biy at 50% list, sell for
                                  > > 66-2/3%.
                                  > >
                                  > > David
                                  > > N1EA
                                  > > On Dec 14, 2012 12:06 AM, "Guido" <kc7zwg@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > >> I have an 897D with the following xtras:
                                  > >> W4RT DSP
                                  > >> W4RT Punch Mic
                                  > >> W4RT Quick Charge
                                  > >> Yaesu Batteries x2
                                  > >> 897 Power Supply
                                  > >> One Board Filters
                                  > >> LDG 897 Plus Tuner
                                  > >> LDG SWR/PWR/Etc Meter
                                  > >> Nifty Manual
                                  > >> ALL Original Boxes and Manuals, etc...
                                  > >>
                                  > >> The radio and accessories are in excellent condition, batteries hold
                                  > >> charge as they should.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Was wondering what a "Fair" Price would be?
                                  > >>
                                  > >> New price for everything is just over $2500 not including any shipping or
                                  > >> installation.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Will list here first along with craigslist at the same time, then it's
                                  > >> off to eBay.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> But I have no idea how to price it.
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Thanks

                                • Radio_Randy
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 16, 2012
                                    Guido,

                                    If you end up putting it on eBay, keep an open mind about accepting bids from overseas users. The bids are often higher than in the states, though you will have to do some additional paperwork for shipping the equipment. I would also ensure that the money is solidly in your account, before shipping and would definitely consider insuring it against loss.

                                    Just the same, I hope you can get it sold off, locally.

                                    73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

                                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Guido" <kc7zwg@...> wrote:

                                    > If anyone is interested please make me an offer ...
                                    >
                                    > thanks.

                                  • Guido
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 16, 2012
                                      Thanks Randy,

                                      I will keep an eye out for insurance and scams.

                                      apprecdiated!

                                      Martin
                                      (not Guido, my cousin did that and I can't figure out how to change it)

                                      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Radio_Randy" <randy.jones@...> wrote:

                                      > Guido,
                                      >
                                      > If you end up putting it on eBay, keep an open mind about accepting bids from overseas users. The bids are often higher than in the states, though you will have to do some additional paperwork for shipping the equipment. I would also ensure that the money is solidly in your account, before shipping and would definitely consider insuring it against loss.
                                      >
                                      > Just the same, I hope you can get it sold off, locally.
                                      >
                                      > 73, Radio Randy N7CKJ
                                      >
                                      > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Guido" <kc7zwg@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > If anyone is interested please make me an offer ...
                                      > >
                                      > > thanks.

                                    • Jim Best
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 16, 2012
                                        Not a scam, I bought a FT897 thru E-Bay for $635. Works perfectly and has a few blemishes.
                                        Good luck selling yours for $2500.
                                        73
                                        Jim WU7G

                                        Sent from my iPad

                                        On Dec 16, 2012, at 4:24 PM, "Guido" <kc7zwg@...> wrote:

                                        > Thanks Randy,
                                        >
                                        > I will keep an eye out for insurance and scams.
                                        >
                                        > apprecdiated!
                                        >
                                        > Martin
                                        > (not Guido, my cousin did that and I can't figure out how to change it)
                                        >
                                        > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Radio_Randy" <randy.jones@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Guido,
                                        > >
                                        > > If you end up putting it on eBay, keep an open mind about accepting bids from overseas users. The bids are often higher than in the states, though you will have to do some additional paperwork for shipping the equipment. I would also ensure that the money is solidly in your account, before shipping and would definitely consider insuring it against loss.
                                        > >
                                        > > Just the same, I hope you can get it sold off, locally.
                                        > >
                                        > > 73, Radio Randy N7CKJ
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Guido" <kc7zwg@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > If anyone is interested please make me an offer ...
                                        > > >
                                        > > > thanks.

                                      • david taylor
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 17, 2012
                                          I purchased an 897d, at897, and ft meter used for 820 shipped and that
                                          was a price i could readily find. The addition of batteries and such
                                          would bring the price up about another 200 so a price of around $1000
                                          for the lot seems reasonable.

                                          Sent from my iPhone
                                        • Radio_Randy
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 17, 2012
                                            Sorry, Martin. I get the joke, now.

                                            As for changing your "name", you should either be able to "Edit Membership" on the Yahoo Groups page or get into "Accounts/Properties" in your email program, depending on where Guido is hiding.

                                            Let me know if I can help.

                                            73, Radio Randy N7CKJ

                                            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Guido" <kc7zwg@...> wrote:

                                            > Thanks Randy,
                                            >
                                            > I will keep an eye out for insurance and scams.
                                            >
                                            > apprecdiated!
                                            >
                                            > Martin
                                            > (not Guido, my cousin did that and I can't figure out how to change it)
                                            >

                                            > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Radio_Randy" <randy.jones@> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Guido,
                                            > >
                                            > > If you end up putting it on eBay, keep an open mind about accepting bids from overseas users. The bids are often higher than in the states, though you will have to do some additional paperwork for shipping the equipment. I would also ensure that the money is solidly in your account, before shipping and would definitely consider insuring it against loss.
                                            > >
                                            > > Just the same, I hope you can get it sold off, locally.
                                            > >
                                            > > 73, Radio Randy N7CKJ
                                            > >
                                            > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Guido" <kc7zwg@> wrote:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > If anyone is interested please make me an offer ...
                                            > > >
                                            > > > thanks.

                                          • roirizarry
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Dec 27, 2012
                                              Hi Martin:

                                              I recently sent you a note inquiring about your Ft-897d for sale:

                                              1. When did you purchase/how old a rig?

                                              2. Do you have any pictures you can send?

                                              Thanks.
                                              Ralph.