Re: Need help with longer CAT cable.

  • Robert Winningham
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
      Just to clarify, this is a CAT cable to control my FC-40 tuner. The 25' cable that Yaesu provides is a 8 pin mini din. Cat 6 Ethernet cable is shielded and has 8 conductors, so I should be able to solder on a couple of mini din connectors on to a 100' run. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this.

    • robertktuck@cox.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
        Cat 5 cable for Ethernet is capable of communications for 100 meters in a reasonable environment. Using Cat 5 cable on any other system (CAT, RS232, remote face , etc.) is dependent on the driving hardware. I have used Cat 5E hard shielded cable on several long communications projects in a power plant without any problems. But it is expensive.
        Robert
        AB4RT
        Sent from my BlackBerry� wireless device provided by SouthernLINC Wireless

        Just to clarify, this is a CAT cable to control my FC-40 tuner. The 25' cable that Yaesu provides is a 8 pin mini din. Cat 6 Ethernet cable is shielded and has 8 conductors, so I should be able to solder on a couple of mini din connectors on to a 100' run. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this.

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Tuck" <robertktuck@...> wrote:

        > I would use a thin, grounded wire for the catenary. That should help
        > provide *some* protection for the wire. The only problem that I have had
        > with long suspended cables is the statiic/induced voltages. I used a
        > commercial surge protection product for the lines.
        >
        > Robert / AB4RT

      • gd1mip
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
          I do not have the same AMU, but I have applied the radio / AMU in a similar way.

          I have an 897 and an MFJ994 auto unit.The MFJ is 30 meters away from the 897 at the base of the antenna. I home brewed a longer cable using screened 8 core. I was concerned about loss but, so far so good, it all works.

          Andy GD1MIP
        • Chris Robinson
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
            That wont make a difference, keep your solder points clean. Cat 5e or 6e
            with a din or mini din isnt going to make a difference, the wire is still
            plenty sufficient for the job you are asking of.

            Making life hell for others since 1973

            Mr.C.Robinson
            73 DE KF6NFW