Re: [FT897] Re: @ meter psk31

  • Marshall
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
      NVIS is a Technique not just an antenna. The technique is using a dipole antenna that is a driven element of a 2 element yagi pointed up. The antenna is the driven and the earth is the reflector. Just like with a yagi the spacing of the driven to the reflector gives the pattern. Move the dipole up and down to get the best pattern. Then it is a matter of frequency and power. NVIS works better between 3MHz and 10MHz. So that gives operators 80/75M, 60M, 40M, and 30M to use. Follow the bands just like we do anyway. 40M daytime 80/75M at night. NVIS works well with low power so it lends itself well to EMCOMM use. So for the group, you have taken the first step with your Tech License. Upgrade and have even more fun. General is well worth the effort, you may even want to get an Extra. ( Good DX in that portion of the bands and you don’t have to watch freq allocation.) NVIS will work in hills and can be quite reliable when applied properly.

      Hope this helps a little
      73 de KD8LAV
      Marshall

      From: Carl Wulfestieg <mailto:ag4ls%40comcast.net>
      To: mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, December 5, 2012, 1:01 AM

      You're all missing the main problem- He said he was in "hilly" and "mountain" terrain. Your suggestions are all very good, but the only thing to solve his problem is NVIS antennas. And he'll also need 40 or 20 meters for that. That means his group is going to"bite the bullet" and upgrade to at least "General". He seems to think that "PSK31" is magical and will overcome the hills. Sorry, that won't do it. Good Luck!!
      73 Carl WZ4CW