Re: [FT897] Re: @ meter psk31

  • John Allen
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
      Don and any new Hams,

      We use 2m, 6m, 10m & 70cm SSB for Nets every Monday, in the Portland/Vancouver area with great success out at least 70 miles, depending on the propagation".

      The antennas usually do the "Heavy Lifting" and sometimes an amplifier helps (But not always.).

      The closer you are, the smaller the antenna or amplifier (usually).

      The NCS uses Vertical or Horizontal polarization, depending on the contact.

      There is always a "Price to Pay", no matter what you are trying to accomplish.

      Bigger antennas and amplifiers will also work with FM, but again, its all about the "Laws" (physics, etc.).

      I have said many times to this group, "Join a Local Club".

      If you don't have one, start one.

      There is a very large group of Hams out there, who will help you solve some of these "simple" problems.

      A "Face to Face" QSO is sometimes better then trying to solve it over the air or from a blog.

      Show and tell, at a monthly meeting or a field trip to someones QTH, can answer many more questions, faster, better and safer then trying someone's answer to an email.

      Seeing an actual Ham Shack and Antenna System in operation, is a lot more fun then letting the "Smoke" out of your own equipment, by following an incorrect suggestion.

      "Present company excluded".

      Our Vancouver, WA Club (over 300 members) has a web site that may help, www.w7aia.org .

      There are links to other clubs and sites, you also may find usefull.

      Good Luck and hope to "See you down the log".

      73
      John
      N9YQ

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
        You're all missing the main problem- He said he was in "hilly" and "mountain" terrain. Your suggestions are all very good, but the only thing to solve his problem is NVIS antennas. And he'll also need 40 or 20 meters for that. That means his group is going to"bite the bullet" and upgrade to at least "General". He seems to think that "PSK31" is magical and will overcome the hills. Sorry, that won't do it. Good Luck!!
        73 Carl WZ4CW

      • John Allen
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
          Carl,

          I haven't had much luck on 20m, but on 40m and 80m, I use NVIS every day in hilly areas as well as flat.

          I using some very interesting antennas, both verticals and wires, close to the ground.

          I'm not sure how to attach photos to this group's emails, but I will send anyone who asks, some photos of my various antenna installations, new and old.

          If a person needs to use NVIS antennas, that sounds like a good reason to upgrade.

          73 All,

          John
          N9YQ

          You're all missing the main problem- He said he was in "hilly" and "mountain" terrain. Your suggestions are all very good, but the only thing to solve his problem is NVIS antennas. And he'll also need 40 or 20 meters for that. That means his group is going to"bite the bullet" and upgrade to at least "General". He seems to think that "PSK31" is magical and will overcome the hills. Sorry, that won't do it. Good Luck!!
          73 Carl WZ4CW

        • Marshall
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
            NVIS is a Technique not just an antenna. The technique is using a dipole antenna that is a driven element of a 2 element yagi pointed up. The antenna is the driven and the earth is the reflector. Just like with a yagi the spacing of the driven to the reflector gives the pattern. Move the dipole up and down to get the best pattern. Then it is a matter of frequency and power. NVIS works better between 3MHz and 10MHz. So that gives operators 80/75M, 60M, 40M, and 30M to use. Follow the bands just like we do anyway. 40M daytime 80/75M at night. NVIS works well with low power so it lends itself well to EMCOMM use. So for the group, you have taken the first step with your Tech License. Upgrade and have even more fun. General is well worth the effort, you may even want to get an Extra. ( Good DX in that portion of the bands and you don’t have to watch freq allocation.) NVIS will work in hills and can be quite reliable when applied properly.

            Hope this helps a little
            73 de KD8LAV
            Marshall