Re: [FT897] Need help with longer CAT cable.

  • Dean Gibson AE7Q
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
      On 2012-12-04 00:37, G8HUL wrote:
      > Hi Andrew
      >
      > Cat 5 should be good for up to 100m and 1Gb, so your requirement should not
      > be a problem.

      That's true for Ethernet signalling and impedances. That doesn't
      necessarily mean that Cat-5 will be suitable for USB or RS-232 signalling.
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
        Possibly so, BUT nobody was talking about using it for USB or RS-232 signalling!! The OP wanted an internet connection.

        Jeff G8HUL

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
          Use CAT5E or CAT6E, be sure it has at minimum the foil shield. I have used
          CAT cables for radios for years and only once had an issue and that was
          with a coiled section that for some reason added to the problem, once
          straightened out, problem of AC hum went away.

          100 feet is a hell of a run, so I would first question line voltage drop,
          and see if that is an acceptible drop for the tuner control line.

          The idea of EMT is a good one, and would be an excellent method as well.

          I have used this type of setup in active disasters with Red Cross, and
          during disaster drills when our comms unit was parked much to far way, so I
          had to run control lines. with no way to shield other then to depend on the
          CAT 5e cable shield. I had county and state mobile dispatch on top of it
          with I dont know how many bubble pack gmrs/frs units, as well as all the
          other amateur radio systems I had setup in operations.

          73

          On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Jeff <g8hul@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Possibly so, BUT nobody was talking about using it for USB or RS-232
          > signalling!! The OP wanted an internet connection.
          >
          > Jeff G8HUL

          Making life hell for others since 1973

          Mr.C.Robinson
          73 DE KF6NFW

        • Robert Tuck
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
            I would use a thin, grounded wire for the catenary. That should help
            provide *some* protection for the wire. The only problem that I have had
            with long suspended cables is the statiic/induced voltages. I used a
            commercial surge protection product for the lines.

            Robert / AB4RT

            From: FT897@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
              Just to clarify, this is a CAT cable to control my FC-40 tuner. The 25' cable that Yaesu provides is a 8 pin mini din. Cat 6 Ethernet cable is shielded and has 8 conductors, so I should be able to solder on a couple of mini din connectors on to a 100' run. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this.

            • robertktuck@cox.net
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
                Cat 5 cable for Ethernet is capable of communications for 100 meters in a reasonable environment. Using Cat 5 cable on any other system (CAT, RS232, remote face , etc.) is dependent on the driving hardware. I have used Cat 5E hard shielded cable on several long communications projects in a power plant without any problems. But it is expensive.
                Robert
                AB4RT
                Sent from my BlackBerry� wireless device provided by SouthernLINC Wireless

                Just to clarify, this is a CAT cable to control my FC-40 tuner. The 25' cable that Yaesu provides is a 8 pin mini din. Cat 6 Ethernet cable is shielded and has 8 conductors, so I should be able to solder on a couple of mini din connectors on to a 100' run. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this.

                --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Tuck" <robertktuck@...> wrote:

                > I would use a thin, grounded wire for the catenary. That should help
                > provide *some* protection for the wire. The only problem that I have had
                > with long suspended cables is the statiic/induced voltages. I used a
                > commercial surge protection product for the lines.
                >
                > Robert / AB4RT

              • gd1mip
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
                  I do not have the same AMU, but I have applied the radio / AMU in a similar way.

                  I have an 897 and an MFJ994 auto unit.The MFJ is 30 meters away from the 897 at the base of the antenna. I home brewed a longer cable using screened 8 core. I was concerned about loss but, so far so good, it all works.

                  Andy GD1MIP
                • Chris Robinson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
                    That wont make a difference, keep your solder points clean. Cat 5e or 6e
                    with a din or mini din isnt going to make a difference, the wire is still
                    plenty sufficient for the job you are asking of.