Need help with longer CAT cable.

  • Joel
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2012
      I would be very concerned about RFI with a control cable that long - my
      advice
      would be to run it in EMT or other metallic conduit and make sure you
      have some
      snap on toroids on each end for good measure.

      I've recently bought a FC-40 tuner so that I can put a long wire stealth
      antenna
      at my new QTH. The problem is that the FC-40 will be located about
      100' from my
      FT-897. It comes with a 25' control cable that appears to be a simple
      8-pin
      male-to-male mini DIN. Has anyone made a 100' CAT cable using CAT 6 and
      soldering on some mini DIN connectors? Does anyone sell such an animal?

      I apologize if this has already been discussed. I used the search
      function with
      no luck.

      73 de Rob KJ6UWB

      --
      KQØJ
    • Andrew Hebden
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2012
        I currently use about 120' of standard CAT5 cable suspended at about 12' to
        provide a network connection in my shack (an outbuilding in the garden). The
        network is stable and connects at 100Mbps and so far I've not encountered
        any problems. I did consider buying a roll of shielded CAT6 cable but as I
        had a couple of reels of CAT5 at hand I thought I'd give it a try. The risks
        are many, lightning strikes, RFI, UV deterioration, water penetration. The
        main problem so far is the stretching and stress caused by too many pigeons
        sitting on the cable!!

        Andrew G8BYB
      • G8HUL
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
          Hi Andrew

          Cat 5 should be good for up to 100m and 1Gb, so your requirement should not
          be a problem. The normal solution to sagging is to attach the cat 5 cable to
          a catenary of some kind, you don't say what the length of the overhead run
          is involved in your 100', but thin rope or wire if it is a long run should
          help.

          73
          Jeff G8HUL

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
            On 2012-12-04 00:37, G8HUL wrote:
            > Hi Andrew
            >
            > Cat 5 should be good for up to 100m and 1Gb, so your requirement should not
            > be a problem.

            That's true for Ethernet signalling and impedances. That doesn't
            necessarily mean that Cat-5 will be suitable for USB or RS-232 signalling.
          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
              Possibly so, BUT nobody was talking about using it for USB or RS-232 signalling!! The OP wanted an internet connection.

              Jeff G8HUL

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
                Use CAT5E or CAT6E, be sure it has at minimum the foil shield. I have used
                CAT cables for radios for years and only once had an issue and that was
                with a coiled section that for some reason added to the problem, once
                straightened out, problem of AC hum went away.

                100 feet is a hell of a run, so I would first question line voltage drop,
                and see if that is an acceptible drop for the tuner control line.

                The idea of EMT is a good one, and would be an excellent method as well.

                I have used this type of setup in active disasters with Red Cross, and
                during disaster drills when our comms unit was parked much to far way, so I
                had to run control lines. with no way to shield other then to depend on the
                CAT 5e cable shield. I had county and state mobile dispatch on top of it
                with I dont know how many bubble pack gmrs/frs units, as well as all the
                other amateur radio systems I had setup in operations.

                73

                On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Jeff <g8hul@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Possibly so, BUT nobody was talking about using it for USB or RS-232
                > signalling!! The OP wanted an internet connection.
                >
                > Jeff G8HUL

                Making life hell for others since 1973

                Mr.C.Robinson
                73 DE KF6NFW

              • Robert Tuck
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
                  I would use a thin, grounded wire for the catenary. That should help
                  provide *some* protection for the wire. The only problem that I have had
                  with long suspended cables is the statiic/induced voltages. I used a
                  commercial surge protection product for the lines.

                  Robert / AB4RT

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 4, 2012
                    Just to clarify, this is a CAT cable to control my FC-40 tuner. The 25' cable that Yaesu provides is a 8 pin mini din. Cat 6 Ethernet cable is shielded and has 8 conductors, so I should be able to solder on a couple of mini din connectors on to a 100' run. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this.

                  • robertktuck@cox.net
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
                      Cat 5 cable for Ethernet is capable of communications for 100 meters in a reasonable environment. Using Cat 5 cable on any other system (CAT, RS232, remote face , etc.) is dependent on the driving hardware. I have used Cat 5E hard shielded cable on several long communications projects in a power plant without any problems. But it is expensive.
                      Robert
                      AB4RT
                      Sent from my BlackBerry� wireless device provided by SouthernLINC Wireless

                      Just to clarify, this is a CAT cable to control my FC-40 tuner. The 25' cable that Yaesu provides is a 8 pin mini din. Cat 6 Ethernet cable is shielded and has 8 conductors, so I should be able to solder on a couple of mini din connectors on to a 100' run. Just wondering if anyone else has tried this.

                      --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Tuck" <robertktuck@...> wrote:

                      > I would use a thin, grounded wire for the catenary. That should help
                      > provide *some* protection for the wire. The only problem that I have had
                      > with long suspended cables is the statiic/induced voltages. I used a
                      > commercial surge protection product for the lines.
                      >
                      > Robert / AB4RT

                    • gd1mip
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
                        I do not have the same AMU, but I have applied the radio / AMU in a similar way.

                        I have an 897 and an MFJ994 auto unit.The MFJ is 30 meters away from the 897 at the base of the antenna. I home brewed a longer cable using screened 8 core. I was concerned about loss but, so far so good, it all works.

                        Andy GD1MIP
                      • Chris Robinson
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 6, 2012
                          That wont make a difference, keep your solder points clean. Cat 5e or 6e
                          with a din or mini din isnt going to make a difference, the wire is still
                          plenty sufficient for the job you are asking of.