Re: [FT897] FT897 & FLdigi

  • Brian Smith
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 18, 2012
      On Thu, 15 Nov 2012, g4ldsqrp wrote:

      > Trying out FLdigi & FT897, got a M0AQC simple interface. O/S = vista. in
      > past had HRD under XP & it worked but now working with FLdigi as got rid
      > of HRD. Got the laptop talking to the i/f, can Rx signals I/F goes to Tx
      > when commanded but cant get FT897 to switch to TX/

      If you want suggestions, it would help to know what you're using for an
      interface, particularly with how it's doing PTT. In my case, I'm using a
      Signalink USB between my 897D's data port and a netbook running Fldigi on
      Ubuntu, and the Signalink uses an internal VOX circuit to key up the
      transmitter. All I had to do to configure Fldigi for the hardware was
      select the right sound device for input and output, and set things up for
      rig control via CAT.

      > I gather FT897 should be in Digi mode?

      Yes. There is a sub-mode selection in the menus for LSB/USB RTTY and PSK,
      but so far I'm getting by with the USER-U/L sub-modes.

      > Should I highlite "tone on RH channel?

      Not sure what you mean by that.

      Brian Smith WB4ES / avalon73 at caerleon dot us / WWW nexus.caerleon.us
    • Brian Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 21, 2012
        On Wed, 21 Nov 2012, marshallstax wrote:

        > I use the SignaLink USB w/FLdigi (Windows XP - Dell laptop) and for some
        > reason, unless the laptops' own audio is all the way up, I won't get
        > PTT. The SignaLink has its own soundcard (so to speak - handles the
        > audio in/out for the waterfall on FLdigi) - but still, no transmit (PTT)
        > if the computers audio isn't almost full up.

        The volume as far as the computer is concerned (at least for the Signalink
        output) is all the way up on mine, and I use the controls on the SignaLink
        itself to control the transmit/receive levels. No problems detected or
        reported since I started using it, and the ALC indicator is right where it
        apparently should be (none at all).

        Brian Smith WB4ES / avalon73 at caerleon dot us / WWW nexus.caerleon.us
      • Joel
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 21, 2012
          There is a jumper inside the signalink to boost the output - did you try
          that yet? JP2 I think
          its in the manual - the jumper is normally only on one pin you put it on
          both. Oh duh, that's for
          receive audio.

          Anyhow, did you check the setting of Digital VOX ( 040 ) and make it
          non zero ? Are you
          in Digital mode?

          Also you should not be adjusting the ' computers ' sound card you need
          to adjust the Signalink's
          soundcard - " USB Audio Codec " instead....

          On 11/21/2012 3:45 PM, marshallstax wrote:

          > I use the SignaLink USB w/FLdigi (Windows XP - Dell laptop) and for
          > some reason, unless the laptops' own audio is all the way up, I won't
          > get PTT. The SignaLink has its own soundcard (so to speak - handles
          > the audio in/out for the waterfall on FLdigi) - but still, no transmit
          > (PTT) if the computers audio isn't almost full up.
          >
          > Robin, N6RLS
          >
          > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>, Curt
          > Givens <giveadurn@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Chris, I use fldigi with my 897, however my interface is either a
          > signalink or a rigblast P&P. Both of them hook up to the data port and
          > generate a ptt via that connection. A seperate serial connection to
          > the cat port with the signalink or just the cable from the P&P to the
          > cat port allows me to use flrig for control.
          > >
          > > 73 Curt

          > > de Curt KC8STEÂ Dayton, OH
          > > Earthdog Director Gem City Agility Club

          KQØJ

        • JP Douglas
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
            You do not need to have the radio on "digital" if you don't want to; USB for HF, either USB or FM for 6m, depending what mode you use, we have an FM fldigi/easypal net on 6m as well as one on 2m, none of use the "digital" setting.

            I did have a problem receiving on Easypal last week; storm took out the USB hub at my laptop and I replaced it with a cheap chinese one until I got a better one, I was transmitting fine but not receiving images. Switched USB hubs with a better one and problem was solved.

            Hope everyone that celebrates Thanksgiving had a good one!

            73 de Jose, KB1TCD.