Re: [FT897] NEED HELP WITH DEAD fT 897

  • Sean Clark
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
      Hi Steve,

      Just a shot in the dark here but......

      Do any LED's work on the front when you turn it on?  Or is it just the LCD display?

      If the DSP LED is not working then check the panel unit at TP4017 for 8v.

      If you have 8v there then check TP4036 for 5v.  This is the 5v buss that feeds the LED's and display LCD as well as the main processor (and other components) on the panel unit..

      Don't forget to do the normal checks like making sure the panel unit has a good ground and all connectors are reseated.

      If you don't have the service manual you will need it.

      Good Luck ~ N9ATV

      --- On Fri, 11/16/12, w4yj1948 <sefritts@...> wrote:

      HELLO ALL,

      My FT897 has stopped working. The display is totally dead. No display at all. Yet is receieves and it also seems to transmit. Any ideas before I send it back to Yaesu?

      Thank you for any help

      Steve W4YJ

    • wa9fvp
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 21, 2012
        The 897 has a power on/off circuit that's somewhat complicated. It's designed to completely remove power from the battery when the radio is turned off. The power switch monetarily applies power to the power relay that in turn powers the main CPU. Once the CPU is up and running, it keeps the power relay engaged until the power switch is pressed again. Then the power relay is turned off.

        Just about every 987 that I repair, has a problem in then power on/off circuit. Either diode is damaged or the transistor that powers the power relay is bad. The power relay circuits are on the RF power amplifier board. I even found damaged components near the CPU power on/off circuits on the main board.

        Jack WA9FVP
        Willco Electronics.

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lavoie <bronsens@...> wrote:

        > I just contacted Yaesu to see how much it would cost to get my 897
        > realigned. They told me it is $35 for an estimate and $70 per hour plus any
        > parts the $35 estimate fee is waived if the repair is approved. It has to
        > be shipped to Cypress, CA.
        >
        > 73 N1AMD Mike
        > On Nov 20, 2012 12:55 PM, "William" <wabarron@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Did you previously set it up to operate with Ham radio Deluxe?
        > > If so, you might be able to connect with that software and see the screen
        > > and control the menus....
        > >
        > > But it sounds like a trip to the factory .....
        > >
        > > 73,
        > > Bill W1WAB
        > >
        > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4yj1948" <sefritts@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > HELLO ALL,
        > > >
        > > > My FT897 has stopped working. The display is totally dead. No display at
        > > all. Yet is receieves and it also seems to transmit. Any ideas before I
        > > send it back to Yaesu?
        > > >
        > > > Thank you for any help
        > > >
        > > > Steve W4YJ

      • John Randall
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
          The actual problem was that his radio's menu 42 and 43 was switched off, so his radio appeared to be dead....ie no display, he could not see the display to make these changes.

          I merely gave him some instructions as follows to switch them one again.

          1) press and hold function key till it beeps twice.
          2) rotate mem/vfo knob untill you hear a beep, this is menu 001
          3) rotate mem/vfo knob 41 clicks to the right, this is menu 042 contrast
          4) rotate vfo to change contrast
          5) if no change then go one more click to the right which is menu 043 intensity, rotate vfo to change this.

          This has got his rig up and running again.

          73
          John

        • Hank Lambert
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
            That saved him about $75.00. My Web site has resources for the 857D and
            897D. I am going to add a troubleshooting section on each and this will be
            the first tip I add.

            One question, would a complete system reset have fixed this?

            73,

            Hank Lambert

            KB4MTO/TA5ZC

            hank@...

            kb4mto@...

            www.hanklambert.com

            PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

            Years ago, many hams used to work a lot of DX until they got their hands on
            an SWR meter and found out they couldn't.

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
              I recently had my display go blank. I sent ot in and it was a cold solder
              joint, not an unknown problem. Repair and alignment with shipping, about
              $100.

              Home Email: dokrent@...
              W7DAO