NEED HELP WITH DEAD fT 897

  • w4yj1948
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 16, 2012
      HELLO ALL,

      My FT897 has stopped working. The display is totally dead. No display at all. Yet is receieves and it also seems to transmit. Any ideas before I send it back to Yaesu?

      Thank you for any help

      Steve W4YJ
    • Sean Clark
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 17, 2012
        Hi Steve,

        Just a shot in the dark here but......

        Do any LED's work on the front when you turn it on?  Or is it just the LCD display?

        If the DSP LED is not working then check the panel unit at TP4017 for 8v.

        If you have 8v there then check TP4036 for 5v.  This is the 5v buss that feeds the LED's and display LCD as well as the main processor (and other components) on the panel unit..

        Don't forget to do the normal checks like making sure the panel unit has a good ground and all connectors are reseated.

        If you don't have the service manual you will need it.

        Good Luck ~ N9ATV

        --- On Fri, 11/16/12, w4yj1948 <sefritts@...> wrote:

        HELLO ALL,

        My FT897 has stopped working. The display is totally dead. No display at all. Yet is receieves and it also seems to transmit. Any ideas before I send it back to Yaesu?

        Thank you for any help

        Steve W4YJ

      • wa9fvp
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 19, 2012
          Sounds like the backlight is dead. Did you try changing the backlight settings?
          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4yj1948" <sefritts@...> wrote:

          > HELLO ALL,
          >
          > My FT897 has stopped working. The display is totally dead. No display at all. Yet is receieves and it also seems to transmit. Any ideas before I send it back to Yaesu?
          >
          > Thank you for any help
          >
          > Steve W4YJ

        • w4yj1948
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 19, 2012
            How can I change the backlight when I can not even see how to get to the menu to change it??

            Steve W4YJ
            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "wa9fvp" <willcoele@...> wrote:

            > Sounds like the backlight is dead. Did you try changing the backlight settings?
            > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4yj1948" <sefritts@> wrote:
            > >
            > > HELLO ALL,
            > >
            > > My FT897 has stopped working. The display is totally dead. No display at all. Yet is receieves and it also seems to transmit. Any ideas before I send it back to Yaesu?
            > >
            > > Thank you for any help
            > >
            > > Steve W4YJ

          • George
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 20, 2012
              Hmmmm
              and what about to use HRD.....?
              G.

              --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4yj1948" <sefritts@...> wrote:

              > How can I change the backlight when I can not even see how to get to the menu to change it??
              >
              > Steve W4YJ
              > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "wa9fvp" <willcoele@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Sounds like the backlight is dead. Did you try changing the backlight settings?
              > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4yj1948" <sefritts@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > HELLO ALL,
              > > >
              > > > My FT897 has stopped working. The display is totally dead. No display at all. Yet is receieves and it also seems to transmit. Any ideas before I send it back to Yaesu?
              > > >
              > > > Thank you for any help
              > > >
              > > > Steve W4YJ

            • Davekh
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 20, 2012
                Try
                One or both of these from the manual:

                Power-up pressing
                [F] + POWER on:
                Resets all menu settings (except the following menu items) to their
                factory-default values.

                or
                [HOME] + POWER on: CPU master reset for all memories and menu
                settings.

                Might bring it back - you might have got the contract set to zero - so
                the top one might do it - if not try the second one.

                good luck
                Dave H G0CER

                On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:45:20 -0000, George wrote:
                > Hmmmm
                > and what about to use HRD.....?
                > G.
                >
                > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4yj1948" <sefritts@...> wrote:
                >>

                >> How can I change the backlight when I can not even see how to get to
                >> the menu to change it??
                >>
                >> Steve W4YJ
                >> --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "wa9fvp" <willcoele@> wrote:
                >> >

                >> > Sounds like the backlight is dead. Did you try changing the
                >> backlight settings?

                >> display at all. Yet is receieves and it also seems to transmit. Any
                >> ideas before I send it back to Yaesu?

              • Davekh
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 20, 2012
                  I meant contrast..!

                  Have a look at or download the manual as well..

                  Dave

                  On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:08:46 +0000, Davekh wrote:
                  > Try
                  > One or both of these from the manual:
                  >
                  > Power-up pressing
                  > [F] + POWER on:
                  > Resets all menu settings (except the following menu items) to their
                  > factory-default values.
                  >
                  > or
                  > [HOME] + POWER on: CPU master reset for all memories and menu
                  > settings.
                  >

                  > Might bring it back - you might have got the contract set to zero -
                  > so
                  > the top one might do it - if not try the second one.
                  >
                  > good luck
                  > Dave H G0CER
                  >

                  > On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:45:20 -0000, George wrote:
                  >> Hmmmm
                  >> and what about to use HRD.....?
                  >> G.
                  >>
                  >> --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4yj1948" <sefritts@...> wrote:
                  >>>

                  >>> How can I change the backlight when I can not even see how to get
                  >>> the menu to change it??
                  >>>
                  >>> Steve W4YJ

                  >>> backlight settings?

                  >>> display at all. Yet is receieves and it also seems to transmit. Any
                  >>> ideas before I send it back to Yaesu?

                • William
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 20, 2012
                    Did you previously set it up to operate with Ham radio Deluxe?
                    If so, you might be able to connect with that software and see the screen and control the menus....

                    But it sounds like a trip to the factory .....

                    73,
                    Bill W1WAB

                    --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4yj1948" <sefritts@...> wrote:

                    > HELLO ALL,
                    >
                    > My FT897 has stopped working. The display is totally dead. No display at all. Yet is receieves and it also seems to transmit. Any ideas before I send it back to Yaesu?
                    >
                    > Thank you for any help
                    >
                    > Steve W4YJ

                  • Michael Lavoie
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 20, 2012
                      I just contacted Yaesu to see how much it would cost to get my 897
                      realigned. They told me it is $35 for an estimate and $70 per hour plus any
                      parts the $35 estimate fee is waived if the repair is approved. It has to
                      be shipped to Cypress, CA.

                      73 N1AMD Mike
                      On Nov 20, 2012 12:55 PM, "William" <wabarron@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Did you previously set it up to operate with Ham radio Deluxe?
                      > If so, you might be able to connect with that software and see the screen
                      > and control the menus....
                      >
                      > But it sounds like a trip to the factory .....
                      >
                      > 73,
                      > Bill W1WAB
                      >
                      > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4yj1948" <sefritts@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > HELLO ALL,
                      > >
                      > > My FT897 has stopped working. The display is totally dead. No display at
                      > all. Yet is receieves and it also seems to transmit. Any ideas before I
                      > send it back to Yaesu?
                      > >
                      > > Thank you for any help
                      > >
                      > > Steve W4YJ

                    • w4yj1948
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 20, 2012
                        Success!!! THANK YOU to all who wrote me and helped. Frank, m0els suggested the idea of holding in the function key until it beeped twice and then counting 41 clicks to menu 42 and adjusting the contrast. I was then able to see the display even tho it was dim and in black and white. I then went to the MODE setting and turned it on!
                        All is well now! Thank you to ALL who wrote and helped! I did not think about doing a reset as someone else suggested and also using HRD.
                        Again thank you to all!

                        Steve W4YJ

                        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Davekh <davekh@...> wrote:

                        > Try
                        > One or both of these from the manual:
                        >
                        > Power-up pressing
                        > [F] + POWER on:
                        > Resets all menu settings (except the following menu items) to their
                        > factory-default values.
                        >
                        > or
                        > [HOME] + POWER on: CPU master reset for all memories and menu
                        > settings.
                        >

                        > Might bring it back - you might have got the contract set to zero - so
                        > the top one might do it - if not try the second one.
                        >
                        > good luck
                        > Dave H G0CER
                        >

                        > On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:45:20 -0000, George wrote:
                        > > Hmmmm
                        > > and what about to use HRD.....?
                        > > G.
                        > >
                        > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4yj1948" <sefritts@> wrote:
                        > >>

                        > >> How can I change the backlight when I can not even see how to get to
                        > >> the menu to change it??
                        > >>
                        > >> Steve W4YJ

                        > >> backlight settings?

                        > >> display at all. Yet is receieves and it also seems to transmit. Any
                        > >> ideas before I send it back to Yaesu?

                      • wa9fvp
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 21, 2012
                          The 897 has a power on/off circuit that's somewhat complicated. It's designed to completely remove power from the battery when the radio is turned off. The power switch monetarily applies power to the power relay that in turn powers the main CPU. Once the CPU is up and running, it keeps the power relay engaged until the power switch is pressed again. Then the power relay is turned off.

                          Just about every 987 that I repair, has a problem in then power on/off circuit. Either diode is damaged or the transistor that powers the power relay is bad. The power relay circuits are on the RF power amplifier board. I even found damaged components near the CPU power on/off circuits on the main board.

                          Jack WA9FVP
                          Willco Electronics.

                          --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lavoie <bronsens@...> wrote:

                          > I just contacted Yaesu to see how much it would cost to get my 897
                          > realigned. They told me it is $35 for an estimate and $70 per hour plus any
                          > parts the $35 estimate fee is waived if the repair is approved. It has to
                          > be shipped to Cypress, CA.
                          >
                          > 73 N1AMD Mike
                          > On Nov 20, 2012 12:55 PM, "William" <wabarron@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > Did you previously set it up to operate with Ham radio Deluxe?
                          > > If so, you might be able to connect with that software and see the screen
                          > > and control the menus....
                          > >
                          > > But it sounds like a trip to the factory .....
                          > >
                          > > 73,
                          > > Bill W1WAB
                          > >
                          > > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "w4yj1948" <sefritts@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > HELLO ALL,
                          > > >
                          > > > My FT897 has stopped working. The display is totally dead. No display at
                          > > all. Yet is receieves and it also seems to transmit. Any ideas before I
                          > > send it back to Yaesu?
                          > > >
                          > > > Thank you for any help
                          > > >
                          > > > Steve W4YJ

                        • John Randall
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
                            The actual problem was that his radio's menu 42 and 43 was switched off, so his radio appeared to be dead....ie no display, he could not see the display to make these changes.

                            I merely gave him some instructions as follows to switch them one again.

                            1) press and hold function key till it beeps twice.
                            2) rotate mem/vfo knob untill you hear a beep, this is menu 001
                            3) rotate mem/vfo knob 41 clicks to the right, this is menu 042 contrast
                            4) rotate vfo to change contrast
                            5) if no change then go one more click to the right which is menu 043 intensity, rotate vfo to change this.

                            This has got his rig up and running again.

                            73
                            John

                          • Hank Lambert
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
                              That saved him about $75.00. My Web site has resources for the 857D and
                              897D. I am going to add a troubleshooting section on each and this will be
                              the first tip I add.

                              One question, would a complete system reset have fixed this?

                              73,

                              Hank Lambert

                              KB4MTO/TA5ZC

                              hank@...

                              kb4mto@...

                              www.hanklambert.com

                              PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

                              Years ago, many hams used to work a lot of DX until they got their hands on
                              an SWR meter and found out they couldn't.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 22, 2012
                                I recently had my display go blank. I sent ot in and it was a cold solder
                                joint, not an unknown problem. Repair and alignment with shipping, about
                                $100.

                                Home Email: dokrent@...
                                W7DAO