FT897 & FLdigi

  • g4ldsqrp
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 15, 2012
      Hi
      Simple answer I know but cant find it at mo!

      Trying out FLdigi & FT897, got a M0AQC simple interface. O/S = vista. in past
      had HRD under XP & it worked but now working with FLdigi as got rid of HRD.
      Got the laptop talking to the i/f, can Rx signals I/F goes to Tx when commanded
      but cant get FT897 to switch to TX/
      I gather FT897 should be in Digi mode?
      Should I highlite "tone on RH channel?

      Im not using CAT/rig control as i dont!!! Just want to try data in a manual mode !!!

      Anyone can advise??
      Tomorrow is another day to try!!
      I know many use FT897 & FLdigi as Ive been thro archives but couldt find answer.

      Thanks

      Chris

      G4LDS
    • Curt Givens
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 16, 2012
        Chris, I use fldigi with my 897, however my interface is either a signalink or a rigblast P&P. Both of them hook up to the data port and generate a ptt via that connection. A seperate serial connection to the cat port with the signalink or just the cable from the P&P to the cat port allows me to use flrig for control.

        73 Curt

        de Curt KC8STE  Dayton, OH
        Earthdog Director Gem City Agility Club

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 18, 2012
          On Thu, 15 Nov 2012, g4ldsqrp wrote:

          > Trying out FLdigi & FT897, got a M0AQC simple interface. O/S = vista. in
          > past had HRD under XP & it worked but now working with FLdigi as got rid
          > of HRD. Got the laptop talking to the i/f, can Rx signals I/F goes to Tx
          > when commanded but cant get FT897 to switch to TX/

          If you want suggestions, it would help to know what you're using for an
          interface, particularly with how it's doing PTT. In my case, I'm using a
          Signalink USB between my 897D's data port and a netbook running Fldigi on
          Ubuntu, and the Signalink uses an internal VOX circuit to key up the
          transmitter. All I had to do to configure Fldigi for the hardware was
          select the right sound device for input and output, and set things up for
          rig control via CAT.

          > I gather FT897 should be in Digi mode?

          Yes. There is a sub-mode selection in the menus for LSB/USB RTTY and PSK,
          but so far I'm getting by with the USER-U/L sub-modes.

          > Should I highlite "tone on RH channel?

          Not sure what you mean by that.

          Brian Smith WB4ES / avalon73 at caerleon dot us / WWW nexus.caerleon.us
        • marshallstax
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 21, 2012
            I use the SignaLink USB w/FLdigi (Windows XP - Dell laptop) and for some reason, unless the laptops' own audio is all the way up, I won't get PTT. The SignaLink has its own soundcard (so to speak - handles the audio in/out for the waterfall on FLdigi) - but still, no transmit (PTT) if the computers audio isn't almost full up.

            Robin, N6RLS

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Curt Givens <giveadurn@...> wrote:

            > Chris, I use fldigi with my 897, however my interface is either a signalink or a rigblast P&P. Both of them hook up to the data port and generate a ptt via that connection. A seperate serial connection to the cat port with the signalink or just the cable from the P&P to the cat port allows me to use flrig for control.
            >
            > 73 Curt
            >

            > de Curt KC8STE  Dayton, OH
            > Earthdog Director Gem City Agility Club
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Brian Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 21, 2012
              On Wed, 21 Nov 2012, marshallstax wrote:

              > I use the SignaLink USB w/FLdigi (Windows XP - Dell laptop) and for some
              > reason, unless the laptops' own audio is all the way up, I won't get
              > PTT. The SignaLink has its own soundcard (so to speak - handles the
              > audio in/out for the waterfall on FLdigi) - but still, no transmit (PTT)
              > if the computers audio isn't almost full up.

              The volume as far as the computer is concerned (at least for the Signalink
              output) is all the way up on mine, and I use the controls on the SignaLink
              itself to control the transmit/receive levels. No problems detected or
              reported since I started using it, and the ALC indicator is right where it
              apparently should be (none at all).

              Brian Smith WB4ES / avalon73 at caerleon dot us / WWW nexus.caerleon.us
            • Joel
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 21, 2012
                There is a jumper inside the signalink to boost the output - did you try
                that yet? JP2 I think
                its in the manual - the jumper is normally only on one pin you put it on
                both. Oh duh, that's for
                receive audio.

                Anyhow, did you check the setting of Digital VOX ( 040 ) and make it
                non zero ? Are you
                in Digital mode?

                Also you should not be adjusting the ' computers ' sound card you need
                to adjust the Signalink's
                soundcard - " USB Audio Codec " instead....

                On 11/21/2012 3:45 PM, marshallstax wrote:

                > I use the SignaLink USB w/FLdigi (Windows XP - Dell laptop) and for
                > some reason, unless the laptops' own audio is all the way up, I won't
                > get PTT. The SignaLink has its own soundcard (so to speak - handles
                > the audio in/out for the waterfall on FLdigi) - but still, no transmit
                > (PTT) if the computers audio isn't almost full up.
                >
                > Robin, N6RLS
                >
                > --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com <mailto:FT897%40yahoogroups.com>, Curt
                > Givens <giveadurn@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Chris, I use fldigi with my 897, however my interface is either a
                > signalink or a rigblast P&P. Both of them hook up to the data port and
                > generate a ptt via that connection. A seperate serial connection to
                > the cat port with the signalink or just the cable from the P&P to the
                > cat port allows me to use flrig for control.
                > >
                > > 73 Curt

                > > de Curt KC8STEÂ Dayton, OH
                > > Earthdog Director Gem City Agility Club

                KQØJ

              • JP Douglas
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 23, 2012
                  You do not need to have the radio on "digital" if you don't want to; USB for HF, either USB or FM for 6m, depending what mode you use, we have an FM fldigi/easypal net on 6m as well as one on 2m, none of use the "digital" setting.

                  I did have a problem receiving on Easypal last week; storm took out the USB hub at my laptop and I replaced it with a cheap chinese one until I got a better one, I was transmitting fine but not receiving images. Switched USB hubs with a better one and problem was solved.

                  Hope everyone that celebrates Thanksgiving had a good one!

                  73 de Jose, KB1TCD.