RE: [FT897] Repeated/Duplicated frequency band on my FT-897d

  • Hank Lambert
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5 3:15 PM
      I personally see it as a feature. I like to listen to the FAA HF bands
      sometimes. So I can tune to 13.306 USB and whenever I want to go to it, I
      hit the band button and it will come up between 20 and 30 meters. Putting a
      "soft" band in the lineup allows me to put a frequency in it and go to it
      without having to switch from VFO to memories and then find it.

      73,

      Hank Lambert

      KB4MTO/TA5ZC

      hank@...

      kb4mto@...

      www.hanklambert.com

      PGP Key: 0x9DFFC21E

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5 3:33 PM
        Thanks guys,
        73 Jim KJ6TRT

        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, Rob Stampfli <rob@...> wrote:

        > On Sun, Nov 04, 2012 at 08:06:57PM -0000, James wrote:
        > > I've only had my FT-897d since September. Here is a quirk(?) that seems harmless, but I'm curious whether it is a "fault" or "by design" When I step through the bands, either up or down, one band will be repeated. Initially it was the 3.5 mhz band. There would be two instances in a row, but showing only the last frequency accessed (e.g., one 3975 and the other 4000) and always different. I routinely only used one of the instances and so the second never changed until I purposely switched uses. The repeated instance on the 3.5 mhz band then disappeared but was replaced with a repeated instance on 21 mhz band. At this moment, the instance that I routinely use and change 21mhz frequencies on shows 21.350 and the duplicated instance which I haven't touched stays on 21.514.
        > > Is my transceiver displaying unique behavior or is there a real purpose and use for the phenomena that I'm observing???
        >
        > Jim, it appears Yaesu considers it a "feature", whereas most users consider
        > it a "fault". In any event, it's normal. If you don't have a need for
        > this extra band -- and I can see where it might be useful if you do a lot
        > of hopping around on some band -- you can do what I do: Dedicate the extra
        > postion to the AM broadcast band, and remember to never "tune" out of a ham
        > band; instead, use the band-up band-down buttons to change bands.
        >
        > YMMV,
        > Rob / KD8WK

      • G8HUL
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6 1:07 AM
          > Jim, it appears Yaesu considers it a "feature", whereas most users
          > consider it a "fault". In any event, it's normal. If you don't have
          > a need for this extra band -- and I can see where it might be useful
          > if you do a lot of hopping around on some band -- you can do what I
          > do: Dedicate the extra postion to the AM broadcast band, and remember
          > to never "tune" out of a ham band; instead, use the band-up band-down
          buttons to change bands.

          > YMMV,
          > Rob / KD8WK

          It is neither a fault, nor a 'feature', it is there by design; and its
          operation is shown in the manual. It gives you a quick way of tuning back to
          a frequency that is outside of the fixed amateur bands (to 5MHz frequency
          for example) . When you press the band switch it the position of this
          'floating' band will move so that it satys in order by frequency, between
          the fixed bands.

          73
          Jeff G8HUL
        • James
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6 7:38 AM
            Jeff,
            Do you have a page number reference where this "by design" item is documented in the manual? I electronically searched a PDF copy of the manual that I downloaded from Yaesu and found no such reference. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
            73
            Jim KJ6TRT

            --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, G8HUL <g8hul@...> wrote:

            > > Jim, it appears Yaesu considers it a "feature", whereas most users
            > > consider it a "fault". In any event, it's normal. If you don't have
            > > a need for this extra band -- and I can see where it might be useful
            > > if you do a lot of hopping around on some band -- you can do what I
            > > do: Dedicate the extra postion to the AM broadcast band, and remember
            > > to never "tune" out of a ham band; instead, use the band-up band-down
            > buttons to change bands.
            > >
            > > YMMV,
            > > Rob / KD8WK
            > >

            > It is neither a fault, nor a 'feature', it is there by design; and its
            > operation is shown in the manual. It gives you a quick way of tuning back to
            > a frequency that is outside of the fixed amateur bands (to 5MHz frequency
            > for example) . When you press the band switch it the position of this
            > 'floating' band will move so that it satys in order by frequency, between
            > the fixed bands.
            >
            > 73
            > Jeff G8HUL

          • Wayne Heyniger
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 17 2:34 PM
              I'm having the same issue, and the repeated frequency is out of band.
              no idea why its happening, i just hope its not a sign of a problem.

            • Carl Wulfestieg
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 23 5:01 PM
                Wayne-
                If by "repeated frequency" you mean the "extra" band you see, then if you don't want it to be "out of band", then select it with the "band" control, and dial it back into a band you want. However, you may now have two similar frequencies in the same band. What I did with mine, was to dial it to "WWV' or a "weather station" frequency. That way it isn't a bother, and it is on a useful frequency. Just a suggestion. No, it doesn't mean your radio is ready to break. Good Luck!!
                73 Carl WZ4CW