FT897D / FT857D to MFJ994B ATU interface ideas?

  • gd1mip
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
      Hi all I have just bought an MFJ994B and see the manual claims it will interface to the 897 & 857 via their own box an MFJ 5124Y. Has anyone done this or made a home brew version of their £65 box? It connects to the 8 pin cat lead at the rig and a 3.5 jack plug at the tuner so there cant be much going on in that expensive box can there?

      thanks in advance Andy
    • Bernie Hildebrand
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
        Andy
        You can download the manual for the MFJ-5124Y manual from MFJ. It shows the schematic of the box and all components called out for the box. It is much more complex than just a simple cable.

        73 de Bernie - W8NBC
        SKCC#7783, DMC#3936
        30MDG#4835

        >________________________________

      • José Manuel Andrade
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
          Hello

          Here you can find the schematic:

          http://www.mfjenterprises.com/pdffiles/MFJ-5124Y.pdf

          73

          José Andrade

          CR7ACK

          Portugal

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 17, 2012
            Just an update folks. the ATU was new from a main importer to the UK.

            Tonight I finally got the shack in order and unpacked the MFJ994B. I applied 13.8 volts to the supplied power lead and .... nothing, no lights not a thing. Then seconds later a bad burning smell.

            Lets hope the dealer is as good as the MFJ claimed warranty. I have had it for two weeks but only tried to use it tonight.

            Andy
            GD1MIP
          • Baz
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 17, 2012
              Sounds like , the lead maybe wrong and you cooked something , should not be the case if they have a stearing diode in the system.
              Was there a CCT in box ,
              Barry
              G8dow

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 17, 2012
                MFJ isn't the company that charges much for nothing, but you do have to
                remember you're paying a premium for a foreign (to you) product, flying it
                across the Atlantic, customs, etc.

                But still, I don't think you could make a box, get the connectors, circuit
                board, transistors, for less than about GBP 35.

                Take a look for yourself:
                http://www.mfjenterprises.com/support.php?productid=MFJ-5124Y

                73

                David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA

                On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 6:55 AM, gd1mip <gd1mip@...> wrote:
                > Hi all I have just bought an MFJ994B and see the manual claims it will
                interface to the 897 & 857 via their own box an MFJ 5124Y. Has anyone done
                this or made a home brew version of their £65 box? It connects to the 8
                pin cat lead at the rig and a 3.5 jack plug at the tuner so there cant be
                much going on in that expensive box can there?

                > thanks in advance Andy

              • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 17, 2012
                  The good thing about MFJ is that trying to fix it yourself doesn't void the
                  warranty: READ the warranty yourself to be sure.

                  MFJ is very helpful and they can ship out the parts to fix it, or you can
                  bring the whole unit back to the importer and see how you could gain
                  satisfaction.

                  73
                  David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA <http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/>