Re: [FT897] Re: 3.0 KHz wide ceramic filter?

  • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
      Terry, he doesn't need to replace the filter, he is looking for a wider
      filter to use a wide digital mode at full speed on MARS. Do you know of a
      ceramic filter spec'd for 3.000 Hz that he can drop in where the current
      filter lives? He has accessory filters of 2,000 Hz and 500 Hz, he wants
      the bandwidth of the radio to be 3,000 Hz without any accessory filters in
      circuit.

      73
      David N1EA

      =30=

      On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Kansas Guy <kansas_tech206@...> wrote:

      > I ordered two from Yaesu. Just order them from there parts center.
      > As far as replacing the part. Its a bit tricky because of the massive
      > ground you have to solder through to removed the old lead.
      > You have to use caution not to damage the nearby flea size 0201 size parts.
      > I ended up sending the radio to Ham Radio Repair in Dallas TX and they
      > replaced it. Just too much risk.
      > If you have the tools fine but if your not sure. Dont try.
      >
      > Terry, WA0DTH
      >

      > ________________________________

    • kd8dey
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
        --- In FT897@yahoogroups.com, "brad_ka3yan" <bradm75@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know if it is possible to change out the Murata cermamic filter with a 3.0 KHz filter? Obviously it's possible, so that was a bad question. Does anyone know what the replacement would be?
        >
        > I have searched and searched and can't find anything that is currently in production. I've looked at the CFR455H from Murata, but apparently it's been discontinued.
        >
        > If anyone is wondering why I want MORE bandwidth, it's because I want to do MARS MIL-STD-188-110A mode, which requires 3.0 KHz bandwidth IOT get full baud rate. I want to replace the ceramic filter because I already have 500 Hz and 2.0 KHz Collins filters installed that I want to keep installed.
        >
        > Brad, KA3YAN

        FLX) LF-D6 ??
        http://www.surplussales.com/filters/filters-1.html
      • Cortland Richmond
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7, 2012
          I put a VERY nice (costly too) 2.8 KHz Inrad 715 filter in my 857 and
          can both receive and transmit through it using internal menu item 86.
          The much cheaper Murata CFS455J, 3 KHz wide 15 pole ceramic filter (as
          low as $40 on ebay) should work in the same slot, though it has 3 dB
          ripple. Per MIL-STD-188-141 this might not be a problem. I'd recommend
          switching to the normal filter for SSB if there're users on adjacent
          channels.

          CFR455J and CFS455J : ±1.5 KHz at 6dB, ±4.5 at 70dB

          Cortland
          KA5S

          1e. Re: 3.0 KHz wide ceramic filter?
          Posted by: "D.J.J. Ring, Jr." n1ea@... djringjr