AM Operation

  • kljkhg
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2012
      Has anybody had any luck being heard on AM with the mighty 25 watt signal from the 897D. I have tried on 3.875 I hear other stations but nobody hears me and I know I am transmitting. I just like to use all the bells and whistles.
      Paul KB2VEC
    • Joel
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2012
        Yes,
        I had good luck with the 897D on 10 M last fall when the bands were open
        - plenty of AM ops there
        from 29.000 -> 29.100. Some of those guys treat running AM like it was
        their religion LOL -
        be prepared for some long, drawn out QSO's and talk about their super
        duper mic, mixer board,
        how your signal looks on their scope - a lot of the AM guys seem to be
        frustrated broadcast engineers.
        You will for sure do better with 25W on any mode on 10M than 25 W on
        75-80M with all the noise.
        Make sure your AM mic gain is at least 50%.

        I had good reports of the audio and sig from the 897. I also have made
        a few contacts on 40M the
        freq was at the top of the band as I recall 7.280 or thereabouts.

        Speaking of other modes and 10M I have some real fun with 10M FM since I
        got the 897D - working repeaters as well
        as simplex. I have picked up quite a few DX stations - its fun to talk
        to a op in New Zealand or Europe with
        a strong crystal clear signal when the band opens up.

        If 6 Meters is open, don't forget to try 50.400-450 Mhz for AM contacts
        I have made some there as well
        as FM DX on 52.525. You may even find a few AM ops on 2M in your area
        in the 144.400 - 425 area.

        Drop me an email if you want to try a 80 or 40 M AM sked some evening
        this fall/ winter when the noise goes away.

        73 & have fun.

        Joel
        KQ0J

        On 9/1/2012 6:28 AM, kljkhg wrote:

        > Has anybody had any luck being heard on AM with the mighty 25 watt
        > signal from the 897D. I have tried on 3.875 I hear other stations but
        > nobody hears me and I know I am transmitting. I just like to use all
        > the bells and whistles.
        > Paul KB2VEC
        >

        > No virus found in this message.

      • D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2012
          Remember that 25 watts is just carrier, your peak envelope power is still
          100 watts just like on SSB so there is no power change. Legal power in USA
          for AM is 375 watts carrier (resting no modulation) which is 1500 watts PEP.

          I've used my FT-897D on 3885 kHz with outstanding signals all up and down
          the Atlantic coast.

          I suspect the problem is the antenna - to have a good signal on 80 meters
          you need a full size antenna for that band - about 120 foot long, although
          the best antenna in my mind is two waves long horizontal loop which gives
          very low omni-directional coverage on 80 meters and is full sized on 160
          meters.

          Full wave loops are about 240 feet of wire, two wave loops are 480 feet of
          wire.

          A horizontal loop of a half wave length is 120 feet of wire and will give
          you the "there is a weak signal in there".

          In the radio business we call the full wave loops, and half wave doublets
          (dipoles): "That sounds like an antenna". The two wave loop sound like
          "That really sounds like an antenna and you get lots of smiles because no
          one knows this trick"

          73
          David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA <http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/> Radio-Officers
          Group<http://groups.google.com/group/radio-officers?hl=en>-- Join
          Morse Recordings <http://archive.org/search.php?query=n1ea>
          *Gopher Hole:* gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/ (native or with
          Firefox's Overbite extension) or via http to gopher
          gateway<http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw?gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/>
          *C**hat* Skype: djringjr MSN: djringjr@... AIM: N1EA icq: 27380609

          =30=

          On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 7:28 AM, kljkhg <kb2vec@...> wrote:

          > Has anybody had any luck being heard on AM with the mighty 25 watt signal
          > from the 897D. I have tried on 3.875 I hear other stations but nobody hears
          > me and I know I am transmitting. I just like to use all the bells and
          > whistles.
          > Paul KB2VEC

        • Paul Harris
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 2, 2012
            Joel,

             Some guys I hear on 3875 are very long talkers and say very little, I am being kind, very much a clique. I do better on SSB with contact out to nearly 6,000 miles in Argentina and Armenia.  My antenna is an end fed sloper 24 ft long running 20 to 40 ft above ground, it faces in a NorthEast  direction from my qth.  Yet a couple of weeks ago I had a qso with a station in Texas on 6 meters SSB. Yes I would like to try a schedule later this year.  I have done 2 meter AM,SSB and FM with my home made 3 element  cubical quad made from coat hangers and not much else. My e mail is kb2vec@....
            Paul T. Harris
            Belmar , N.J.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 2, 2012
              David,
                      What you suspect is right my antenna is a 24 ft long end fed sloper it loads up with the tuner and I am heard on  every continent in SSB.  I know it is wrong for the job and I realize what you are saying about the carrier power and sideband power but I never really have been heard in the New England area at all in any mode despite the fact that my antenna faces that way. I guess the take off angle is wrong for there.  I cannot do any better antenna as I am in a Hotel. and all the houses are close by. No real estate at all.  My first qso with the 897D was with a mobile in England my antenna was a 8 ft whip laying horizontally on some boxes inside the house on the first floor and I was using 50 watts on 20 meter SSB. I have good luck with terrible antennas.  I do need a much closer to full size dipole for the lower bands and I wrapped the wire around the handrails of the steps to get some length it worked reached Tokyo and Moscow just
              the right conditions I guess. I am going to put some picture of my antenna on my QRZ site soon so you can se my lousy setup hi hi!!
              Paul KB2VEC

              ________________________________
              Remember that 25 watts is just carrier, your peak envelope power is still
              100 watts just like on SSB so there is no power change. Legal power in USA
              for AM is 375 watts carrier (resting no modulation) which is 1500 watts PEP.

              I've used my FT-897D on 3885 kHz with outstanding signals all up and down
              the Atlantic coast.

              I suspect the problem is the antenna - to have a good signal on 80 meters
              you need a full size antenna for that band - about 120 foot long, although
              the best antenna in my mind is two waves long horizontal loop which gives
              very low omni-directional coverage on 80 meters and is full sized on 160
              meters.

              Full wave loops are about 240 feet of wire, two wave loops are 480 feet of
              wire.

              A horizontal loop of a half wave length is 120 feet of wire and will give
              you the "there is a weak signal in there".

              In the radio business we call the full wave loops, and half wave doublets
              (dipoles): "That sounds like an antenna". The two wave loop sound like
              "That really sounds like an antenna and you get lots of smiles because no
              one knows this trick"

              73
              David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA <http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/> Radio-Officers
              Group<http://groups.google.com/group/radio-officers?hl=en>-- Join
              Morse Recordings <http://archive.org/search.php?query=n1ea>
              *Gopher Hole:* gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/ (native or with
              Firefox's Overbite extension) or via http to gopher
              gateway<http://gopher.floodgap.com/gopher/gw?gopher://sdf.org/1/users/djringjr/>
              *C**hat* Skype: djringjr MSN: djringjr@... AIM: N1EA icq: 27380609

              =30=

              On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 7:28 AM, kljkhg <kb2vec@...> wrote:

              > Has anybody had any luck being heard on AM with the mighty 25 watt signal
              > from the 897D. I have tried on 3.875 I hear other stations but nobody hears
              > me and I know I am transmitting. I just like to use all the bells and
              > whistles.
              > Paul KB2VEC

            • Joel
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2012
                Very much the reason I am rarely on 80 M phone except for a local net
                here and there - its pretty much
                divided up into little groups of regulars and not much tolerance for
                CQ's and meeting new people.. most
                of my 80M operation is digital, in the winter. IMO the AM guys are in
                there own little world
                and not much sense in trying to get in with them unless you are suitable
                equipped with a lot of old technology
                and a lot of time on your hands.

                The higher in frequency, the better a simple antenna will perform IMO.
                17m -> 10M are perfect bands
                when they are open - more room - fewer yakkers with claims on any
                frequency. 30M is great for ad hoc CW
                and digital QSO's as well. 60M is a good band in the winter for
                meeting new folks as well - but no AM.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2012
                  75 meter AM is good but you have to pre-arrange the contacts because the
                  activity is so low. Even if you call into the various frequencies of 3880
                  or 3885 kHz you're apt to get into a round table.

                  Also many AM stations aren't DXers. They don't want to deal with weak
                  signals that are poor readability.

                  I've checked into AM nets when I first got my license and didn't know that
                  I really needed a good antenna that was at least five feet away from any
                  object - I thought it didn't matter, so I put the antenna along the roof.
                  It was fine on CW where I had about 16 dB gain over AM phone (or so I
                  think I remember) but as I wised up and put some money into my antenna - I
                  found that my friends - the "good" CW operators were working Hawaii and
                  Alaska and Eastern Europe and they couldn't hear me, I started getting
                  better reports.

                  Then after all the antenna work I came on with what I thought had been the
                  "problem" - my transceiver - but it was amazing. It wasn't my transmitter,
                  they NOW heard me - I was loud.

                  But 10 meters is such an easier band to have a good antenna on. Take a
                  listen to reception of yours truly on 10 meter AM and forgive my trying to
                  remember French words for side swiiper, I even said the wrong thing and
                  the pronunciation is terrible. Side swiper is: lame a deux points.

                  But not bad reception on 10 meter AM - I was in contact with F9IE Bernard.
                  He is active on CW, SSB, SSTV, a regular all mode ham!

                  Listen and laugh at my being half asleep and terrible and incorrect French!
                  N1EA (MA USA) received in England while speaking to Bernard F9IE in
                  France:
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIJu0v1umms